Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:33 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,184,237 times

Advertisements

I mostly hate winter and fall over here. Spring and summer are glorious sunny and warm seasons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:37 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,485,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
OK, but some go to extremes with their obsession. If they lived here, they wouldn't be saying these things. Anyone who gets angry that they do not experience a weather event they enjoy seems a bit odd to me.I think their behavior is motivated by boredom. Few would want to live year round in a climate with a lot of their "favorite weather", unless their favorite weather is mild. Just look at Shalop's frozen tundra dream climate. Some people really have no clue. You aren't too bad; you have more sense than most. You can get sick of anything.
I don't get angry about not experiencing a certain weather event, but it is irritating when you go an entire summer season without a single overhead thunderstorm, as it is annoying when you go an entire winter without barely a flake of snow. It's like in 2012, we didn't get a single thunderstorm, bar some distant thunder and lightning on a few days, and it was definitely annoying. I don't spend all day writhing my hands in anger, but if I read about other places in my country getting awesome thunderstorms and I'm here sitting under cloud, for sure I'll be annoyed. Weather is really secondary in my daily life though, and I hardly notice it at all, unless it's pouring with rain or something (and then I get annoyed because my wonderful hair gets wet and floppy).

It's also true that people can easily get sick of their favourite weather should be it occur nearly every day, and that's why in my dream climate, there's about 5-8 days with thunderstorms, rather than the daily deluges of Miami. Enough to keep things interesting without getting monotonous. For snow, that's not really the case, as I've already experienced a 'true' winter with a consistent snow pack, and never found myself tired of it. Maybe if I spent every year there, I'd get annoyed, but if it's a choice between 3 months of snow and 3 months of rain, I know which one I'd pick.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 04-17-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 04-17-2015, 06:54 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,692,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Clearly my current climate is far from ideal, but most of my time on City Data is actually spent on the Europe and World forums these days. I feel that if the weather was a little more interesting, I'd have more incentive to post.
Same here. When the weather is interesting, there's much more to post too.

In the meantime... We are looking at a forecast of WELL BELOW average (like 1-2C), as this year the trees SHOULD LEAF, and they truly are!!! (some bushes have some small green). This cold epoch (nothing extraordinary) is probably killing as all. And we are not cold BTW, we had a low of -14.6C (well above the average record low), and that is normal. Like the winter was average (like some 5C above). Feels really frigid as last year on this date we had like 19C, so it's FREEZING now!!!! (don't mind the averages)

Here's some subtropical fauna which is EVERYWHERE:

They are just small because of the cold epoch. Otherwise we are like hardiness zone 9 (never happened).

Old 04-18-2015, 06:19 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,552,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

They are just small because of the cold epoch. Otherwise we are like hardiness zone 9 (never happened).
Cordyline australis is an oceanic plant, not a subtropical one. It's one of the most common plants in gardens here.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:53 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,570,263 times
It's not that I dislike the climate I'm in it's more I've seen others that seem more interesting/desirable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I really loved going to school and learning new things... When all the kids would be out playing sports, I'd be in the library reading books and studying encyclopedias...
This was pretty much me as a kid as well, with the addition of atlases haha. Was always fascinated in all things geography and society, weather was just one part of that.

I've sort of done things in reverse, I'm much more interested in sports and the outdoors as an adult.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:54 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,692,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Cordyline australis is an oceanic plant, not a subtropical one. It's one of the most common plants in gardens here.
Oh. Do you know what the hardiness zone for these are? Wikipedia says USDA 10, but that is most likely not true.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:00 AM

1,011 posts, read 713,435 times
I used to moan about it but then stopped. Still don't like the weather here a lot, but I can't change it, so that's that. I find something else to do. Got plenty of hobbies, like composing music, or designing 3D software, and when the weather is nice, I'll go for walks and enjoy it. My weather interest in kinda bipolar, I either like the weather to be stormy as hell (dramatic and exciting) or sunny and warm.

Can't be doing with endless cold and cloud together, which we get a lot of, non descript weather with no particular features but no sunshine. As for this forum, there's a mix of people living in climates they either like or don't like. Most people post not to complain to but to report the current conditions or discuss aspects of their weather that interest them. I am interested in the weather generally so I report about what we get here, and discuss the associated weather related and climate related topics that appear here.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:57 AM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Oh. Do you know what the hardiness zone for these are? Wikipedia says USDA 10, but that is most likely not true.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/4361/C...search-results

This gives a minimum temperature between -5c and 1c. I wouldn't trust that site fully though, it also says CIDPs cannot be grown in the UK (even though they are hardy to -8c and can be seen throughout southern England).

Other sites say between zones 8-11.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,533,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
It is actually Subtropical, belonging in the same Order and Family as plants such as Agave, Dracaena and Yucca. It is one of five Cordyline species found in NZ, and is very hardy in the coldest NZ lowland climates, as well as many inland areas, that see frequent snow, as well as temperatures below -10C.

There isn't such a thing as an Oceanic plant.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:59 PM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It is actually Subtropical, belonging in the same Order and Family as plants such as Agave, Dracaena and Yucca. It is one of five Cordyline species found in NZ, and is very hardy in the coldest NZ lowland climates, as well as many inland areas, that see frequent snow, as well as temperatures below -10C.

There isn't such a thing as an Oceanic plant.
It's native to a region with an oceanic climate, though. Pretty much every single street in London has a few of them growing in gardens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather