Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yes, but think of how mild it was over the past several weeks.
Last week was nice... but I wish I didn't still have to deal with cold in May; especially uncomfortably-chilly daytime weather.

The worst thing for me about it is in this kind of climate,
you can't plan events that isn't good in cold weather in advance, 8-9 months a year.

Last week felt like the "calm before the storm"
but I would feel better if I could "let my guard down" against cold 6 months a year.
Most people who're satisfied living here don't mind the "general indoor culture", but I can only take so much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
^^ I just realized my main problem with chilly weather is that around this time of year, I have no interest in dressing "very-warm" yet I still expect to be able to go outside and at least ignore the temps without a coat and hat.

Maybe it's because of where I grew up,
but for me having weather you need to plan on "how to cool down" is fun, or at least interesting.
I enjoy needing to select lighter-weight clothing, or finding ice for drinks.

I can see how 85 F could be annoying to people in Florida or Texas with a similar attitude,
but towards heat instead of cold... Like "...Why is it STILL 85+ F?..."
(Toronto can only be 85+ F for 2-3 weeks straight, in the longest of heat waves)

My views on 40's F during the day in May are mostly "irritance." (I can handle it, but hate it)
If I liked wearing winter clothing, my problems with cold would be mostly-gone.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:08 PM

173 posts, read 276,308 times
OP here, Ok, let's up the the max temp to 80, and Florida is out, I was there in January, still way to hot, well humid really.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:32 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
Well, since you've pretty much excluded the only state (CA) that could possibly provide the sort of climate you're looking for, the best fit to your critera I can think of would be the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Summers are probably a little too hot and humid for your liking, and the winters possibly a bit chilly on some nights, but I really think this is the best compromise.

Climate averages are as follows:

Jan 35 51
Feb 37 53
Mar 43 60
Apr 51 68
May 59 75
Jun 68 82
Jul 72 86
Aug 71 85
Sep 67 80
Oct 56 71
Nov 48 63
Dec 40 55

I think it looks very nice and mild.

Here's a map:

Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
OP here, Ok, let's up the the max temp to 80, and Florida is out, I was there in January, still way to hot, well humid really.
As many others on this thread have already pointed out, there are lots of locations around the world which could meet this criteria although not many in the US. Outside of California, the southern Oregon coast could meet this criteria as Brookings/Harbor for example has never recorded a subfreezing high temperature ever.
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Harbor, Oregon, United States of America

Mauna Kea in Hawaii also meets this requirement although I don't think anyone actually lives there.
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Mauna Kea, Hawaii, United States of America

Overseas, any high altitude tropical climate should fit the bill. Places like Quito, Ecuador, Bogota, Colombia, Mexico City, Mexico, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Well, since you've pretty much excluded the only state (CA) that could possibly provide the sort of climate you're looking for, the best fit to your critera I can think of would be the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Summers are probably a little too hot and humid for your liking, and the winters possibly a bit chilly on some nights, but I really think this is the best compromise.

Climate averages are as follows:

Jan 35 51
Feb 37 53
Mar 43 60
Apr 51 68
May 59 75
Jun 68 82
Jul 72 86
Aug 71 85
Sep 67 80
Oct 56 71
Nov 48 63
Dec 40 55

I think it looks very nice and mild.

Here's a map:

One of my favorite places!

I have been to the Outer Banks in every season and it has a pretty good climate. A nice long, hot, sunny summer (which starts in May and ends in late October)…mild subtropical winters (just about zero snow, average winter lows above freezing, frequent 60 F mild winter days)…and there is always a steady because your 30 - miles out to sea. Tropical cyclones usually swing east of the Banks, but they do get hit once in a while. It can be fun watching the palms swing in the wind (lol).

They have some of the tallest coastal sand dunes in the United States on the Outer Banks…Jockeys Ridge is 245-feet high the last time I was there (winds and seas change it often). It’s a fun, sandy, and windswept place: The wind and blowing sand is such a constant –that the last time I stayed there, there was even fine grains of sand inside the window sills of the hotel. On a 90 F day in the dunes…you feel like your’re lost in Saudi Arabia – lol.

West side of Jockeys Ridge (the smallest part-lol):

East Side of Jockeys Ridge (the higher side):

Wright Brothers National Mem (sight of first flight in the USA - they picked this spot in 1900 because of the steady winds):

A great place for a vacation!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 PM

Alright, seeing as California seams to be the only real option, what city has the least amount of earthquakes?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 AM

Anyone?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:05 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
When you find it everyone will move there and then you"ll be forced to leave due to overcrowding.
i was thinking of that myself....

Old 05-14-2010, 08:24 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
I think San Diego doesn't have that many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather