Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
As in the case with the word "temperate", I'm afraid that the word "city" has different connotations in different places. Where do you draw the line? Punta Arenas has approx. 120,000 inhabitants. I suppose you consider that a city. In that case, I still find 5F very high to be considered a coldest temperature EVER in a SH city (particularly in South America). In Argentina, the city of San Carlos de Bariloche (110,000 inhabitans, some sources say more), as recently as 2007 recorded -18.8C (-1.84F). In that city, the coldest ever recorded was -21,1C (-5.98F) in 1963.

So, even if we consider that Sarmiento (with 8,000 inhab and with a weather station) is not a city, 5F (Punta Arenas) is not the coldest temp ever recorded in a SH CITY.

I stand corrected.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that in the majority of cases, Southern Hemisphere cities in temperate latitudes tend to have much warmer record low temperatures than cities in the Northern Hemisphere at equivalent latitudes mainly due to the much larger landmasses in the temperate latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere.
San Carlos de Bariloche is 41 degrees from the equator. If we choose a city which is roughly equivalent distance from the equator in the northern hemisphere such as Omaha, Nebraska, the record low temperature in Omaha is much much colder. Even a city such as Providence, Rhode Island which is also 41 degrees from the equator located on the coast has recorded a colder record low temperature than San Carlos de Bariloche.

Of course cities on the western side of northern hemisphere continents have similar climates to their counterparts in the SH at the same latitude due to oceanic influence. In fact, after looking at San Carlos de Bariloche's climate stats, I found it very similar to my city Vancouver's stats even down to the rainfall pattern and record lows but with the seasons reversed. How interesting! I guess that explains all the Monkey Puzzle trees around town here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I stand corrected.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that in the majority of cases, Southern Hemisphere cities in temperate latitudes tend to have much warmer record low temperatures than cities in the Northern Hemisphere at equivalent latitudes mainly due to the much larger landmasses in the temperate latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere.
San Carlos de Bariloche is 41 degrees from the equator. If we choose a city which is roughly equivalent distance from the equator in the northern hemisphere such as Omaha, Nebraska, the record low temperature in Omaha is much much colder. Even a city such as Providence, Rhode Island which is also 41 degrees from the equator located on the coast has recorded a colder record low temperature than San Carlos de Bariloche.

Of course cities on the western side of northern hemisphere continents have similar climates to their counterparts in the SH at the same latitude due to oceanic influence. In fact, after looking at San Carlos de Bariloche's climate stats, I found it very similar to my city Vancouver's stats even down to the rainfall pattern and record lows but with the seasons reversed. How interesting! I guess that explains all the Monkey Puzzle trees around town here.
There's no 'even' about it, Providence is a continental climate. The landmass, prevailing system of air movement means that the majority of the Eastern US seaboard basically has a continental climate.

Vancouver shows that landmass isn't everything, because of course it's hemmed in by the mountains and is influenced by a predominantly westerly airflow (as is the east coast, except the air moving east is very continental).

Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
That would be my take too I guess:

While the southern Hemisphere has milder winters north of around 25 latitude…the cool summers are a huge negative. Also, once you get much south of 35 latitude in the northern Hemisphere cold weather is truly fleeting anyway. So you really lose if you like warm weather I think. Many people who live south of 40 latitude in the northern Hemisphere (USA, China, Southern Europe, North Africa…etc) would consider the mean summer temps in many southern hem cities has “not a real summer”. With the exception of parts of Australia and a few other places (Rio, Buenos Aries…etc) there are few really warm/hot climates in the southern hemisphere.

As far as SST…yes those 32 C waters in the Caribbean, Red Sea, Gulf of Thailand…etc are a far cry from the cold and stormy Pacific.
I'm not aware of consistent SSTs of 32C and above anywhere outside the Persian Gulf, Red Sea or the Gulf of California. Isolated spots in the Timor Sea, Gulf of Thailand and South China Sea might occasionally average that in the warmest months.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not aware of consistent SSTs of 32C and above anywhere outside the Persian Gulf, Red Sea or the Gulf of California. Isolated spots in the Timor Sea, Gulf of Thailand and South China Sea might occasionally average that in the warmest months.
Many times in the Northwest Caribbean I have been to resorts that report the surf temp hourly and have seen 30 C + SST quite often. Some of the warmest ocean waters in the world are found in in the Gulf of Mexico and to the east of Florida though the Bahamas. It’s not uncommon for SST to reach 30 to 32 C (86 - 89 F) in the Gulf of Mexico between the Mexico and the Florida west Coast. Here is a NOAA map of SST from this past June:

Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I stand corrected.

Yes, San Carlos de Bariloche with an onshore temperate climate has warmer extreme lows and monthly lows in winter that a location in the Northern Hemisphere are similar latitude (Providence USA/or Beijing, China)…but it also has colder summer weather, lower record highs, and few bouts of truly hot, tropical weather (in the summer season). You are right of course in terms of the physical geography of it…the S. Hem north of around 25 latitude is the hemisphere of narrow temps (not real hot or real cold)…the northern Hem north of 25 latitude is the hemisphere of the wide temps (big cold and big heat).

I think a lot of the confusion is that people who live in middle latitude oceanic climates (New Zealand/PNW/Northwest Europe)…tend to view the word “temperate” through their perspective of climate. One can make the argument what they prefer in the middle latitudes of each hemisphere - the cool summers and mild winters of the Southern Hemisphere…or the hot summers and cold winters of the Northern Hemisphere…but you come to the same spot in the end: The word “temperate” is really one of perspective.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
If you compare San Carlos de Bariloche to Eureka, California (similar latitude both west coast) then the variation in San Carlos de Bariloche looks quite high.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Many times in the Northwest Caribbean I have been to resorts that report the surf temp hourly and have seen 30 C + SST quite often. Some of the warmest ocean waters in the world are found in in the Gulf of Mexico and to the east of Florida though the Bahamas. It’s not uncommon for SST to reach 30 to 32 C (86 - 89 F) in the Gulf of Mexico between the Mexico and the Florida west Coast. Here is a NOAA map of SST from this past June:

32 is not 30, there's quite a difference. I'm also aware large parts of the Indo-Pacific/Australasian region has 30C+ over a much wider area than the Gulf/Carribean. Much of the Timor Sea off NW Australia for instance.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,066,406 times
I think the difference between the NH and SH is similar to that between the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of the US. Sure, summers are generally cooler but the winters are warmer too. This is a good trade off for some and not to others. Personally, I'd take Brisbane or Durban over Orlando or New Orleans anyday (although the latter are very nice climates).

Quote:
While the southern Hemisphere has milder winters north of around 25 latitude…the cool summers are a huge negative.
Cool summers north of 25 S? What would you consider cool?

Quote:
Many people who live south of 40 latitude in the northern Hemisphere (USA, China, Southern Europe, North Africa…etc) would consider the mean summer temps in many southern hem cities has “not a real summer”. With the exception of parts of Australia and a few other places (Rio, Buenos Aries…etc) there are few really warm/hot climates in the southern hemisphere.
Nonsense. Anywhere north of 30 - 35 S (with the partial exception of Chile) will have a 'real summer' (by my definition, mean temps around the mid-70s F or higher).

As far as there being no really warm climates in the SH, perhaps you should check out the climates of southern Africa, the Indian Ocean, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, the tropical South Pacific islands... well, really anywhere other than the southernmost portions of the SH.

It's true that the NH is a little warmer on average than the SH (for a given latitude), but the difference isn't nearly as great as you make it out to be. Also, bear in mind that there is very little inhabited landmass south of 45 S. In terms of inhabited landmass the southern hemisphere is mostly tropical / subtropical except for southern parts of Chile and Argentina, South American highlands and New Zealand.

Quote:
As far as SST…yes those 32 C waters in the Caribbean, Red Sea, Gulf of Thailand…etc are a far cry from the cold and stormy Pacific.
To my knowledge nowhere in the Caribbean has average SST's of 32 C in the warmest month. And the tropical South Pacific ocean could hardly be described as 'cold' by any standard (except off the coast of Chile where the Humboldt current brings subarctic water up to subtropical latitudes).

Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Cool summers north of 25 S? What would you consider cool?

Nonsense. Anywhere north of 30 - 35 S (with the partial exception of Chile) will have a 'real summer' (by my definition, mean temps around the mid-70s F or higher).
I think wavehunter is getting "north" mixed up with going further away from the equator.

Wavehunter's opinions about "real summer" are probably similar to mine... warmest monthly mean of 72+ F/22+ C.
(probably the general trend from 40 N-southward)

To me, a summer's day is supposed to make long sleeves oppressive, while short sleeves or shirtless comfortable.
I might consider summer as monthly means of 75+ F/24+ C.
Mid 70's F to low 80's F highs are "mild Summer weather" or "warm Spring", especially with low humidity.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
32 is not 30, there's quite a difference. I'm also aware large parts of the Indo-Pacific/Australasian region has 30C+ over a much wider area than the Gulf/Carribean. Much of the Timor Sea off NW Australia for instance.
Well I think you are now trying to take the topic in a different direction to make a point: The FACT is that NOWHERE in/near Australia has as warm of SST as warm as the parts of the Gulf of Mexico and Northwest Caribbean. I have seen 33 C waters MANY TIMES...nowwhere in the Southern Hem can generate that type of ocean heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather