Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,357,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I think the difference between the NH and SH is similar to that between the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of the US. Sure, summers are generally cooler but the winters are warmer too. This is a good trade off for some and not to others. Personally, I'd take Brisbane or Durban over Orlando or New Orleans anyday (although the latter are very nice climates).
Well of course that is a matter of perspective: Climate data show that places like Orlando and New Orleans have far sunnier weather and warmer temps annually than a place like Brisbane or just about any place in New Zealand. Personally, I would find it quite depressing to live in a place with anemic summer warmth like Sydney, Melbourne, or anywhere in New Zealand. Summer should feel like summer…not overcast and 25 C high temps (if you lucky).

Quote:
Cool summers north of 25 S? What would you consider cool?
My point was that once you get out of the tropical latitudes of the southern Hemisphere (say north of 25/30 latitude (going toward the south pole)…"true summer warmth" is fleeting in most of the southern Hemisphere. Sydney, Melbourne, Cape Town, most of New Zealand…etc have cooler summers compared to most places in the middle latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere.

Quote:
Nonsense. Anywhere north of 30 - 35 S (with the partial exception of Chile) will have a 'real summer' (by my definition, mean temps around the mid-70s F or higher).
…and therein lies the “climate perspective problem”…that’s YOUR definition. Mid 70’s is NOT real summer to millions of people across the globe in middle and lower middle latitudes (25 to 40 N/S). Here on the middle East Coast of the USA (Virginia to NYC) most people consider summer weather a minimum of 80 F. I doubt (just an educated guess) that even folks in Toronto (like ColdCandian) would consider a dry/75 F day “true summer weather”. People in hotter climates (southern Europe, North Africa, southern USA, southern India, much of China, Japan…etc) would of course laugh at you for calling 75 F true summer weather. Someone in Shanghai, Osaka, Delhi, Athens, Naples, Madrid, NYC, Washington DC...etc would not call a 75 F day "a typical summer day" I assure you (lol).

I think folks who live in the cool temperate oceanic climates of the southern Hemisphere should consider that their climate persepective might not be the same as much of the world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
^^ Wavehunter seems to be struggling with the idea that North = tropical and South = frigid in the southern hemisphere.

I count anything 70+ F as "Canadian" summer weather, but it's not particularly warm.
Just like dxiweodwo might consider 74 F winter for South FL... regrettably for him.
80 F is when it starts to feel distinctly summer-like for me.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:26 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
…and therein lies the “climate perspective problem”…that’s YOUR definition. Mid 70’s is NOT real summer to millions of people across the globe in middle and lower middle latitudes (25 to 40 N/S). Here on the middle East Coast of the USA (Virginia to NYC) most people consider summer weather a minimum of 80 F. I doubt (just an educated guess) that even folks in Toronto (like ColdCandian) would consider a dry/75 F day “true summer weather”. People in hotter climates (southern Europe, North Africa, southern USA, southern India, much of China, Japan…etc) would of course laugh at you for calling 75 F true summer weather. Someone in Shanghai, Osaka, Delhi, Athens, Naples, Madrid, NYC, Washington DC...etc would not call a 75 F day "a typical summer day" I assure you (lol).
He said mean temps in the mid 70s, not high temps.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ Wavehunter seems to be struggling with the idea that North = tropical and South = frigid in the southern hemisphere.

I count anything 70+ F as "Canadian" summer weather, but it's not particularly warm.
Just like dxiweodwo might consider 74 F winter for South FL... regrettably for him.
80 F is when it starts to feel distinctly summer-like for me.
You might have misunderstood me: Yes, I realize that southward is towards the south Pole and norward is toward the tropics. I was speaking in terms of the middle latitudes in the southern Hemisphere (30 to 50 S). My point was that the tropics (0-25 N or S) are pretty much the same world wide in terms of temps….there are warm climates in the tropical regions of both hemispheres.

However, once away from tropical latitudes in the southern Hemisphere...there are few truly warm climates, and/or southern hem climates tend to have cool summers compared to the northern Hemisphere at the same latitudes.

As to summer temps…yes I agree, for me the daily high should be at least 80 F to call a day “a summer day”.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
Quote:
The FACT is that NOWHERE in/near Australia has as warm of SST as warm as the parts of the Gulf of Mexico and Northwest Caribbean.
Yes it does. Check out the Timor Sea. I know the Gulf Coast and eastern Florida coast have very warm waters relative to latitude, but there are warmer waters in the SH.

Quote:
I have seen 33 C waters MANY TIMES...nowwhere in the Southern Hem can generate that type of ocean heat.
I'm sure you have, but that doesn't change the fact that the average temperature for any month is never above 30 C (July-August) and goes down to about 23 C (Jan-Feb). And I'm pretty sure the Timor Sea could equal the warmest the Gulf of Mexico can achieve.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Well of course that is a matter of perspective: Climate data show that places like Orlando and New Orleans have far sunnier weather and warmer temps annually than a place like Brisbane
Check your sources. Orlando is slightly warmer and sunnier than Brisbane. New Orleans is about the same, but with greater seasonal temperature variation.

Quote:
or just about any place in New Zealand.
LOL, please show me where in NZ is as warm and sunny as Orlando.

Quote:
Personally, I would find it quite depressing to live in a place with anemic summer warmth like Sydney, Melbourne, or anywhere in New Zealand.
Would you also find it depressing to live in San Diego? SD has even milder summer highs than Sydney and Melbourne, yet I imagine many people would be thrilled to live there. I certainly would be.

Quote:
Summer should feel like summer…not overcast and 25 C high temps (if you lucky).
I agree. Hence why I plan to move to Australia eventually.

Quote:
My point was that once you get out of the tropical latitudes of the southern Hemisphere (say north of 25/30 latitude (going toward the south pole)…"true summer warmth" is fleeting in most of the southern Hemisphere. Sydney, Melbourne, Cape Town, most of New Zealand…etc have cooler summers compared to most places in the middle latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere.
That's generally true, but the winters are also milder. Again, it's like the difference between the East and West coasts of the US. If you want the hot summer you have to put up with the cold winter as well.

Quote:
I was referring to 24-hour averages. So, for instance, an overnight low of 70 F and daily high of 80 F would be considered a warm summer in my view (although the notion of "true summer" is completely arbitrary anyway).

Quote:
I think folks who live in the cool temperate oceanic climates of the southern Hemisphere should consider that their climate persepective might not be the same as much of the world...
I'm well aware of that. I have done a little travelling in my time. I've been to Los Angeles in July and was amazed at the heat (every day there was like the hottest day in a typical year here).

I've also been to places in the SH (e.g., Samoa) that would make your beloved South Florida seem like the arctic in comparison.

Last edited by ChesterNZ; 01-05-2011 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Yes it does. Check out the Timor Sea. I know the Gulf Coast and eastern Florida coast have very warm waters relative to latitude, but there are warmer waters in the SH.

I'm sure you have, but that doesn't change the fact that the average temperature for any month is never above 30 C (July-August) and goes down to about 23 C (Jan-Feb). And I'm pretty sure the Timor Sea could equal the warmest the Gulf of Mexico can achieve.
I never said that these regions had average SST in that range...only that 30 - 32 C (+) occurs often. I tend to doubt (I could be wrong) that SST ever get quite that warm anywhere in the southern Hemisphere. I don't think I have ever seen that, even in deep tropical areas near the equator in the SH.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
I think average mean temperature of a location whether it be in the northern or southern hemisphere gives an accurate description of how hot or how cold a climate is and evens out the disparity between hot summers in a continental climate vs mild winter in maritime climates.

Brisbane's average temperature is 69F and New Orleans is 69F as well. So, one could say on average temperature the climates are equal. However, if you're talking about climate stability, I'd say Brisbane wins hands down as New Orleans is only stable 6-8 months of the year. Some people like that, others don't just depends on your tastes I guess. Me personally, I'd also take Brisbane over New Orleans as I like winter climate stability.

Last edited by deneb78; 01-05-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Check your sources. Orlando is slightly warmer and sunnier than Brisbane. New Orleans is about the same, but with greater seasonal temperature variation.
No need...I know for a fact that Orlando is warmer and sunnier than Brisbane in ALL seasons

Quote:
LOL, please show me where in NZ is as warm and sunny as Orlando.
Obviously. One climate is a cool temperate oceanic climate…the other a warm subtropical climate

Quote:
Would you also find it depressing to live in San Diego? SD has even milder summer highs than Sydney and Melbourne, yet I imagine many people would be thrilled to live there. I certainly would be..
Once again that is a perspective comment. Personally, coastal CA, while drop dead beautiful...is a bit too cool for my tastes in both winter and summer. I have several friends have moved to the coastal CA area...and they often mention it lacking in summer heat. The best climate for me would be inland in CA, but not in the deserts.

Quote:
I agree. Hence why I plan to move to Australia eventually.
If you seek warmer/sunnier climate that might be a good move

Quote:
That's generally true, but the winters are also milder. Again, it's like the difference between the East and West coasts of the US. If you want the hot summer you have to put up with the cold winter as well.
Well thats gets a bit complicated: There are plenty of places in the world (and in the USA) that have hot summers and winters as mild as the southern Hemisphere.

Quote:
I was referring to 24-hour averages. So, for instance, an overnight low of 70 F and daily high of 80 F would be considered a warm summer in my view (although the notion of "true summer" is completely arbitrary anyway).
Well, I thought you were speaking of daily highs in the mid 70's. A mean (24 hr temp) of 70 F is still a bit low, but I would consider it a modestly warm/mild summer. Hot, no. However, I tend to doubt that most locations above 30 S have nightime lows of 70 F?

Quote:
I'm well aware of that. I have done a little travelling in my time. I've been to Los Angeles in July and was amazed at the heat (every day there was like the hottest day in a typical year here).
Yes, LA can get quite hot, esp inside the city limits away from the coast.

Quote:
I've also been to places in the SH (e.g., Samoa) that would make your beloved South Florida seem like the arctic in comparison.

Hmm. I tend to doubt that. The mean annual temp in cities in south Florida like Miami or Palm Beach is around 75 F (24 C). Hardly the Arctic
Today, in much of South Florida (in the middle of our winter)...it was warmer than many places in New Zealand and Australia (in the middle of your summer). I'll take that any day over the cool/wet/overcast climates of much of NZ

Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think average mean temperature of a location whether it be in the northern or southern hemisphere gives an accurate description of how hot or how cold a climate is and evens out the disparity between hot summers in a continental climate vs mild winter in maritime climates.

Brisbane's average temperature is 69F and New Orleans is 69F as well. So, one could say on average temperature the climates are equal. However, if you're talking about climate stability, I'd say Brisbane wins hands down as New Orleans is only stable 6-8 months of the year. Some people like that, others don't just depends on your tastes I guess. Me personally, I'd also take Brisbane over New Orleans as I like winter climate stability.
To be fair, NO's summer heat indices are usually a lot higher than Brisbane's (higher dew points). So, taking that into account, one might say that NO is warmer (although winter wind chill might be a counterargument). I'd prefer Brisbane for the narrower seasonal range (more comfortable during the hottest / coldest periods of the year). Durban is even better in this respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather