U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM

24,693 posts, read 15,748,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
You seem to be switching the debate as it fits. Now you say the past week…that is not average SST?

This is the only NOAA SST I have...but keep in mind this was EARLY summer. It was warmer by late summer. I think I see large "swaths" of 30/31 C SST. I think I even see a 32 C spot:

Perhaps you have that backwards...[/quote]

You said the Gulf on average is hotter in summer than the Timor Sea or even the Gulf of Carpenteria for that matter which is plainly false.

They're pretty close but the Timor Sea seems to get hotter over a larger area than the Gulf. Besides the Gulf is a shallow, semi-enclosed body of water which doesn't impress me as much as the Timor Sea which is an arm of the Indian Ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,204,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You said the Gulf on average is hotter in summer than the Timor Sea or even the Gulf of Carpenteria for that matter which is plainly false.

They're pretty close but the Timor Sea seems to get hotter over a larger area than the Gulf. Besides the Gulf is a shallow, semi-enclosed body of water which doesn't impress me as much as the Timor Sea which is an arm of the Indian Ocean.
Now we have moved to what bodies of water are “more impressive” lol.

The Gulf is 20 times the size of the Timor Sea. Should we include the Bahamas and the little coves around them too. I have seen 33 C SST there too. My original point stands: Some of the warmest ocean waters in the world are found in the Northwest Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico. Northing can change that fact.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Now we have moved to what bodies of water are “more impressive” lol.
All things aside, your assertion that the Gulf is hotter than anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere smacks of ignorance and arrogance. I suppose you still stand by this presumption?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 PM

2,595 posts, read 1,657,922 times
Quote:
No need...I know for a fact that Orlando is warmer and sunnier than Brisbane in ALL seasons
Not really. Check it out:

Orlando Climate Guide, Florida - Weather2Travel.com

Brisbane Climate Guide, Queensland - Weather2Travel.com

Orlando summers are significantly warmer and more humid (and slightly sunnier). But winters are almost identical between the two cities.

Quote:
Obviously. One climate is a cool temperate oceanic climate…the other a warm subtropical climate
I know, but you said "... Orlando and New Orleans have ... warmer temps annually than ... just about anywhere in New Zealand". This is probably not what you intended to write, but I found it funny since nowhere in NZ is anywhere near as warm as those places (or even a place like Memphis).

Btw, I think "cool temperate" is an inaccurate description of most of NZ. To me, "cool temperate" (as opposed to "warm temperate" or just plain "temperate") refers to places in northern Europe (Scotland, Scandinavia, etc.) where the warmest months have average highs of 65 F or lower. It's just one notch above the subpolar maritime climates.

Bear in mind that NZ's population centroid is around 40 S (compared to about 38 N in the US). Above about 38 S (the northernmost quarter of the country) the climate could be described as "warm temperate". You'll find numerous species of palms grown outdoors along with subtropical crops like avocados, sweet potatoes, etc. There are also mangroves and even fruiting banana trees. You won't find anything like this in the UK or southern Scandinavia.

I know I always complain about the climate here, but it really isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be.

Quote:
Once again that is a perspective comment. Personally, coastal CA, while drop dead beautiful...is a bit too cool for my tastes in both winter and summer. I have several friends have moved to the coastal CA area...and they often mention it lacking in summer heat. The best climate for me would be inland in CA, but not in the deserts
I guess it doesn't help that the sea is freezing! You can forget about swimming unless you're very brave. You don't need to go far inland for it to get hot though.

Perhaps a better example would be the Canary Islands: Gran Canaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a climate which lacks the hot summers of the American South, but I think you would agree that it's still a very nice climate.

Quote:
Hmm. I tend to doubt that. The mean annual temp in cities in south Florida like Miami or Palm Beach is around 75 F (24 C).
Yes, but there are far warmer places, some of which are in the SH! You may scoff at my climate, but then the residents of Tuvalu would find south Florida laughably cold also: Funafuti Climate Guide, Tuvalu | World Climate Guide

Quote:
Today, in much of South Florida (in the middle of our winter)...it was warmer than many places in New Zealand and Australia (in the middle of your summer). I'll take that any day over the cool/wet/overcast climates of much of NZ
I would as well. But I would also enjoy any number of climates in the tropical / subtropical SH. These are also very pleasant climates, but you seem reluctant to admit this. If we're only talking about mid-latitudinal climates... well, they're all fairly unpleasant, really (except in Europe, which is annomalously warm for the latitude).

Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
All things aside, your assertion that the Gulf is hotter than anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere smacks of ignorance and arrogance. I suppose you still stand by this presumption?
Hmm, putting words in my mouth again (lol).

You seem to have made it personal. I only said that some of the warmest ocean waters in the world are located in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico…and I provided the facts to show this. You seem to “appear” on this forum to try to always show that somehow Australia is better the USA (hotter, warm water, bigger deserts…etc). Sounds like you have an inferiority complex too me.

Your country is better. Feel better now.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Not really. Check it out:

Orlando summers are significantly warmer and more humid (and slightly sunnier). But winters are almost identical between the two cities.

I know, but you said "... Orlando and New Orleans have ... warmer temps annually than ... just about anywhere in New Zealand". This is probably not what you intended to write, but I found it funny since nowhere in NZ is anywhere near as warm as those places (or even a place like Memphis).

Btw, I think "cool temperate" is an inaccurate description of most of NZ. To me, "cool temperate" (as opposed to "warm temperate" or just plain "temperate") refers to places in northern Europe (Scotland, Scandinavia, etc.) where the warmest months have average highs of 65 F or lower. It's just one notch above the subpolar maritime climates.

Bear in mind that NZ's population centroid is around 40 S (compared to about 38 N in the US). Above about 38 S (the northernmost quarter of the country) the climate could be described as "warm temperate". You'll find numerous species of palms grown outdoors along with subtropical crops like avocados, sweet potatoes, etc. There are also mangroves and even fruiting banana trees. You won't find anything like this in the UK or southern Scandinavia.

I know I always complain about the climate here, but it really isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be.

I guess it doesn't help that the sea is freezing! You can forget about swimming unless you're very brave. You don't need to go far inland for it to get hot though.

Perhaps a better example would be the Canary Islands: Gran Canaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a climate which lacks the hot summers of the American South, but I think you would agree that it's still a very nice climate.

Yes, but there are far warmer places, some of which are in the SH! You may scoff at my climate, but then the residents of Tuvalu would find south Florida laughably cold also: Funafuti Climate Guide, Tuvalu | World Climate Guide

I would as well. But I would also enjoy any number of climates in the tropical / subtropical SH. These are also very pleasant climates, but you seem reluctant to admit this. If we're only talking about mid-latitudinal climates... well, they're all fairly unpleasant, really (except in Europe, which is annomalously warm for the latitude).
I would say anywhere where the temp is cooler than 20C (68F) in the warmest month could be 'cool temperate' in one sense.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Hmm, putting words in my mouth again (lol).

You seem to have made it personal. I only said that some of the warmest ocean waters in the world are located in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico…and I provided the facts to show this. You seem to “appear” on this forum to try to always show that somehow Australia is better the USA (hotter, warm water, bigger deserts…etc). Sounds like you have an inferiority complex too me.

Your country is better. Feel better now.
Quote:
Well I think you are now trying to take the topic in a different direction to make a point: The FACT is that NOWHERE in/near Australia has as warm of SST as warm as the parts of the Gulf of Mexico and Northwest Caribbean. I have seen 33 C waters MANY TIMES...nowwhere in the Southern Hem can generate that type of ocean heat.
Do I need to refresh your memory?

The 'fact'? Now you're denying what you said? I showed you a clear map of SSTs here in Australia of over 30C, with parts over 32C (I'm sure some of the gulfs/bays even reach 33C, since the area of white is so large. With typical early December temps in the 29-39C range, not exactly an everday occurence in New Orleans).

Just admit that you made that comment because you lacked the data. You shouldn't make assertions that something is a FACT with no data to back it up.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 PM

QUOTE=ChesterNZ;17278991]Not really. Check it out:

[/quote]

Hmm: As you know, weather data tends to differ slightly from site to site. From most of the data I have seen, % sunshine hrs should be a bit higher than in Brisbane...as Orlando is very dary in winter. In fact, fires are often a problem in winter/early spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I know, but you said "... Orlando and New Orleans have ... warmer temps annually than ... just about anywhere in New Zealand". This is probably not what you intended to write, but I found it funny since nowhere in NZ is anywhere near as warm as those places (or even a place like Memphis)

True. Different climate zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ;17278991Btw, I think "cool temperate" is an inaccurate description of most of NZ. To me, "cool temperate" (as opposed to "warm temperate" or just plain "temperate") refers to places in northern Europe (Scotland, Scandinavia, etc.) where the warmest months have average highs of 65 F or lower. It's just one notch above the subpolar maritime climates.

Bear in mind that NZ's population centroid is around 40 S (compared to about 38 N in the US). Above about 38 S (the northernmost quarter of the country) the climate could be described as "warm temperate". You'll find numerous species of palms grown outdoors along with subtropical crops like avocados, sweet potatoes, etc. There are also mangroves and even fruiting banana trees. You won't find anything like this in the UK or southern Scandinavia.[/QUOTE

Classifying climates is a slippery slope. But I would agree that the far NW Europe is more of a classic Do climate than parts of NZ

QUOTE=ChesterNZ;17278991]I would as well. But I would also enjoy any number of climates in the tropical / subtropical SH. These are also very pleasant climates, but you seem reluctant to admit this. If we're only talking about mid-latitudinal climates... well, they're all fairly unpleasant, really (except in Europe, which is annomalously warm for the latitude).
Well, that might be true...but the climate/physical geography of the zones was my point: Once one moves away from the tropical zones in the S. hemsiphere...there seems to be quite cool summers and most climates seem much cooler than average for the latitude for a part of the year.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 PM

2,595 posts, read 1,657,922 times
Quote:
I would say anywhere where the temp is cooler than 20C (68F) in the warmest month could be 'cool temperate' in one sense.
That would exclude most of NZ then. Unless you meant 24-hour means in which case it would include almost all of the country LOL.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Do I need to refresh your memory?

The 'fact'? Now you're denying what you said? I showed you a clear map of SSTs here in Australia of over 30C, with parts over 32C

The map you posted only showed SST of 30 C (at mid summer).

The map I posted (from early summer) showed 31 to 32 C SST.

Data for this type of information is not 100%. However, I have spent enough time studying data to know that the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico have some of the warmest ocean water in the word. Places like the Red Sea, the Gulf of CA, the Timor Sea might be close (maybe)...but they are puny compared to the Gulf and Caribbean in terms of the area of warm/hot ocean water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather