Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would you pick if you were forced to pick among these two?
LOCO 2 5.56%
MYSTERY 34 94.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,266 times

Advertisements

Okay; Since the climate battles are gonna be sparse, I thought of one to challenge those who HATE cold and LOVE warmth, sun, and heat...

My fictional climate of "LOCO" It is based on very comfortable and dry winters followed by a brief, warm, and rainy spring (all the rain falls within a 2 month window and yes, thunderstorms every day that it rains ). Then comes the BRUTALLY HOTTEST WEATHER you can ever imagine for summer into early fall and then back to just regular "hot" weather in late fall and finally back down into comfortable, dry weather when you hit winter again. BTW- it's a dry heat with humidity levels less 2 percent from May through October.

OR

Mystery Location- This is a high latitude subarctic climate with winters that are pretty mild for it's latitude (coldest month's temperatures compare to moderate continental winters). The difference is because of the latitude and maritime influence, the winters are a lot longer, darker, and gloomier than most continental winters. Record lows are milder than many interior continental winters but it lacks the sunshine. It is dark most of the day in mid-winter with daylight lasting only about 4-5 hours at the solstice. More annoying is the anemic "summers" that don't even reach room temperature on most days. However, there are occasional warm spells as you tell can from the record highs (some years those warm spells never happen though). Although the summers have long daylight hours (20 hours at the solstice), they are also rather cloudy so sunshine hours are moderate. Precipitation is rather low because much of the time, rain comes in drizzle or light showers. A thunderstorm (even a small one) is a once in a lifetime event. It's a real location but I blocked it out so you can guess where it is. Bonus points for those who get it right.

Attached Thumbnails
Climate Battle geared towards you heat-lovers/cold haters...-guesswhere.jpg  

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 07-07-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 PM

Mystery's winters are too cold for my taste; not to mention the depressing low daylight hours, glooominess, and that it's longer than most continental winters. I also dislike the so called summers where swimming in an outdoor pool or lake would be impossible. HOWEVER, I could go outdoors all year round easily in Mystery. Summers are probably good for hiking and those long daylight be fun even if it's cloudy a lot of the time.

OTOH, LOCO has summers so deadly hot, I'd have to stay indoors in the AC, park in AC garages all the time as the car would die from heat if I left it outside. Being outside for more than 5 minutes is also out of question in summer. In Mystery, one can get hypothermia if not dressed for the cold in winter but there's nothing you could wear in Loco (short of a spacesuit) that would make it plausible to even go for a 20 minute walk in summer.

I pick Mystery HANDS DOWN!

I think most people would agree with me but I'm waiting to hear from the hard-core cold-haters and heat-lovers. You know who you are!

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 07-07-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 09:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Well, since LOCO is lethal and Mystery is not (its winter lows aren't too different from mine, anyway, obviously Mystery. Interesting twist that Mystery is real and you leave us guessing. The precipitation pattern is a big clue, not sure yet, but don't think it could be anywhere in North America. I didn't think it's that horribly gloomy, unless you're from California.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:45 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,061 times
I pick Mystery too. Sure its too cold year round but better than temperatures in the 180s. I dont know what the mystery location is, but it made me think of that seahorse from spongebob. (yes im immature)

Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well, since LOCO is lethal and Mystery is not (its winter lows aren't too different from mine, anyway, obviously Mystery. Interesting twist that Mystery is real and you leave us guessing. The precipitation pattern is a big clue, not sure yet, but don't think it could be anywhere in North America. I didn't think it's that horribly gloomy, unless you're from California.

Your town has more than twice the amount of daylight hours in midwinter than Mystery does. Also I'm willing to bet that Mystery is a LOT cloudier than your town because of the maritime influence.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
I pick Mystery too. Sure its too cold year round but better than temperatures in the 180s. I dont know what the mystery location is, but it made me think of that seahorse from spongebob. (yes im immature)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQtemMsaMLA

Only the records are in the 180s. The average is in the 150s and with 1-2 percent humidity, it would feel like 130 or Death Valley on a record setting hot day. Still unlivable for me thoughl

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 07-07-2013 at 10:44 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Your town more than twice the amount of daylight hours in midwinter than Mystery does. Also I'm willing to bet that Mystery is a LOT cloudier than your town because of the maritime influence.
In winter, yes it's much gloomier. Annually, I get maybe 2200 hours total, possibly slightly less*, so not much more.

*NOAA maps show about 2400 hours, but the US uses a different recording method that overestimates by about 10%, maybe up to 14% or so. Read the extremely detailed discussion in the "sunshine education thread" for more.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
In winter, yes it's much gloomier. Annually, I get maybe 2200 hours total, possibly slightly less*, so not much more.

*NOAA maps show about 2400 hours, but the US uses a different recording method that overestimates by about 10%, maybe up to 14% or so. Read the extremely detailed discussion in the "sunshine education thread" for more.

Mystery has deceptively high sunshine hours in summer due to the 20 hours of daylight but it lacks the warmth that humid, continental climates get. It's a cloudy, gloomy summer with rain the form of drizzle rather than the thunderstorms and downpours that you get in the Eastern U.S. The precipitation totals are low because of this lack of heavy rain. It's actually more of a hybrid of martime and subarctic even though it's technically classified as subarctic. About the daylight hours, the sun comes up around 10AM and sets around 2PM in winter and comes up at around 3AM and sets at about 11PM in summer. So I would imagine that insomnia in summer and excessive sleepiness in winter is a problem for people who move there from mid latitudes.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Looks to me like the mystery location is Anchorage, Alaska

Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Quote:
There was actually a big hint that allowed me to know it was in the USA.

Look at the main units for the wikipedia climate chart: Fahrenheit which means USA somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather