Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:50 PM

29,449 posts, read 19,542,454 times

Advertisements

I've been in dry heat all week here in Phoenix. Positive is you don't sweat easily when your dressed up. Also no mosquitoes at night. Negative is even though it was 34-35C the other day, believe it or not getting out of the pool felt pretty chilly until you dried which literally took only a few minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:04 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,984,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I've been in dry heat all week here in Phoenix. Positive is you don't sweat easily when your dressed up. Also no mosquitoes at night. Negative is even though it was 34-35C the other day, believe it or not getting out of the pool felt pretty chilly until you dried which literally took only a few minutes
No mosquitoes there? Oh how lucky they are! Here we have many annoying mosquitoes!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:51 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,171,087 times
Its 88 F and humid next week. In EARLY APRIL, this is crazy.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:54 AM

14,498 posts, read 9,407,590 times
Yes, dry heat is a lot better than humid heat. Dry heat can be oppressive, but it's almost always more tolerable. (Except for the fact that dry heat often means sunny weather & the sun always makes it worse. Can't stand being in the sun when it's at a high angle. But that's an independent factor from the heat itself.) Humid heat, on the other hand, is just nasty. Nasty is a very appropriate & natural adjective to describe humid heat. Or just high humidity in general. Yesterday felt nasty even though it was still relatively cool just because of the high relative humidity. Increase the heat & keep the relative humidity constant and it just amplifies that nasty, oppressive feeling. How people can enjoy humidity is beyond me.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,323 times
i find myself extremely more comfortable in dry heat

+ can tolerate much more heat when its dry
+ i feel a lot less lazy when dry, can move more, always seem to have energy, more focus
+ kind of a weird point, but felt much stronger fitness wise in dry heat, joints felt sturdier and healthier as well as nervous system..
+ absolutely no mosquitos and annoying flies when sitting on terrace and such... you can actually enjoy the nature and chilling ...

honestly i have no positive mark for humid heat other than it keeps thing moist lol.. i just hate it, it makes me lazy, weak, tired, want to sleep all the time, mostiquos, flies and all kind of bugs every fkin where..

Last edited by 18inch; 08-18-2015 at 03:26 AM..

Old 08-18-2015, 04:58 AM

270 posts, read 478,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18inch View Post
i find myself extremely more comfortable in dry heat

+ can tolerate much more heat when its dry
+ i feel a lot less lazy when dry, can move more, always seem to have energy, more focus
+ kind of a weird point, but felt much stronger fitness wise in dry heat, joints felt sturdier and healthier as well as nervous system..
+ absolutely no mosquitos and annoying flies when sitting on terrace and such... you can actually enjoy the nature and chilling ...

honestly i have no positive mark for humid heat other than it keeps thing moist lol.. i just hate it, it makes me lazy, weak, tired, want to sleep all the time, mostiquos, flies and all kind of bugs every fkin where..
I share the same opinion. Even if dry heat is extreme, which is often usual in a desert environment for instance, it's very comfortable. No sweat, no mostiquos, just dry air and the unrelenting sun beating down on you. I hate humid heat, you can't even sleep properly without sweating all the time. It sucks your energy and it's very bothering because you are always wanting to take a fresh shower.

The sun is nearly the only thing that makes you feel the dry heat. This isn't the case in humid heat where the high humidity is oppressive. When it's dry, the sun burns everything it touches but as long as you're not exposed to the sunlight, it's definitely much less hot.

Last edited by Special_Finder; 08-18-2015 at 05:14 AM..

Old 08-18-2015, 05:22 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,258,962 times
experienced 25/27c dewpoints in Calabria recently.

Felt chilly because I was covered in sweat and wet clothes , even at 26c.

Does not happen in dry heat.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:33 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,825,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yeah, that "swimming in hot water" feeling is what I hate so much about summer! If it's humid enough, I actually start feeling sick.

Me too, it also makes me psycho, cause the sweat on your scalp feels like bugs crawling, your whole body feels like a slime ball, your clothes stick too you. Just try pulling your underwear down[or up] in an un-air conditioned bathroom! I lived in Tucson,AZ for a couple years as a teen and never felt as miserable as I do in a humid Ohio summer! And the summer nights were perfect, comfortable temps and no mosquitoes!

Also, surfaces, such as a car's metal, get hot on a hot humid day, the same as they do on a dry hot
day!

My late hubby and I went to visit my relatives in Spokane and ID some summers, and 90 there felt like a perfect mid 70s! I would take dry heat[even AZ temps].... over nasty, disgusting humidity any day!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,468,522 times
It's all subjective. Which do you prefer? Sitting in front of an oven or sitting in a sauna?

Old 08-19-2015, 11:55 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,825,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's all subjective. Which do you prefer? Sitting in front of an oven or sitting in a sauna?

Not really. At least in dry heat, it actually IS cooler in the shade. In humid heat, you will feel no difference, WHATSOEVER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather