U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 PM

5,902 posts, read 4,468,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Well you did have record heat last summer though
Last summer was kinda lousy for us in Toronto; fairly cool and wet.

No days reaching 70 F in 2010?
Wow, it still hasn't warmed up at all since my visit.
No days yet reaching 70F... We've had 67 and 68F a few times but nothing over 70 yet and nothing in the forecast either
Truthfully, it hasn't really warmed up here since your visit.. in fact the last week or so we've had a couple of days where the highs have only been 13C/56F
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 PM

730 posts, read 856,848 times
For us in the Pacific Northwest and Canada's Pacific Southwest it will likely be a cooler and wetter than average summer. In fact we anticipate a major storm slamming into coastal B.C. between Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes sometime late tonight (June 1-2) bringing heavy and steady rain for the next 24 to 36 hours. It is raining now in Corvallis and most of western Oregon. Given the time of year, what's coming is almost unique in severity. This thing has sucked up some very warm and moist tropical air and as it drags much cooler but not much dryer air from Canada's interior and wraps that around the center of the low (28.8 inches at last report - supposed to get deeper) the storm will generate near record rainfall amounts. The Willamette Valley expects between 2 and 4 inches before Thursday. We're gonna get some wind too, but the signature feature this time will be the phenomenal rainfall amounts.

There are more such storms (tho' not nearly as severe) predicted for the next 10 or so days and the Climate Prediction Center doesn't offer a lot of hope we'll get out of this weather pattern any time soon. We here could be seeing a grim and unpleasant summer indeed.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,607,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
No days yet reaching 70F... We've had 67 and 68F a few times but nothing over 70 yet and nothing in the forecast either
Truthfully, it hasn't really warmed up here since your visit.. in fact the last week or so we've had a couple of days where the highs have only been 13C/56F
Has it been cool because of continuous cloud/rain,
or just brisk winds off of the Pacific?

I find the stronger June sun makes a bigger difference in comfort than the temps;
days in the 70's F can be equally as "tiring" as days in the high 80's F due to our intense midday sunshine.
Conversely, our day at 89 F felt less intense than I was expecting, compared one of our more typical days at say 79 F.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:50 AM

5,060 posts, read 3,111,667 times
Quote:

I find the stronger June sun makes a bigger difference in comfort than the temps;
days in the 70's F can be equally as "tiring" as days in the high 80's F due to our intense midday sunshine.
Conversely, our day at 89 F felt less intense than I was expecting, compared one of our more typical days at say 79 F.
Same here. A 20C day can either be cold or quite pleasant, depending on cloud and wind.

Even now, the sun's warmth can be felt on clear calm days, like today with a high of 18C/64F. It would be comparable to any cloudy 20-22C day in summer in terms of "feel like temp". Funnily enough, I've always felt the sun to be very strong in Melbourne, even at times during the cooler half of the year. Out in the sun it does feel significantly warmer than the ambient temp.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 AM

177 posts, read 217,871 times
Well, in terms of the west, phoenix has only reached 100 degrees once this year so far. our average is may 2nd, and we reached 100 about a week and a half ago for the first time. we are expected to get up to 107 by the weekend. We are expected to have fewer 100 degree days this year than last, simply because it started late.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 PM

5,902 posts, read 4,468,969 times
Quote:

It has been cool here because of the persistent cloudiness and rain. The semi-permanent high pressure which is usually starting to be felt around now here is late and may take a while to kick in if it kicks in at all this year. It's one of the characteristics that make the PNW "Mediterranean-like" except for the temperatures.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 PM

131,621 posts, read 43,949,392 times
Here in FL it will be our typical free sauna baths every day of summer.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 PM

10,734 posts, read 5,989,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
For us in the Pacific Northwest and Canada's Pacific Southwest it will likely be a cooler and wetter than average summer. In fact we anticipate a major storm slamming into coastal B.C. between Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes sometime late tonight (June 1-2) bringing heavy and steady rain for the next 24 to 36 hours. It is raining now in Corvallis and most of western Oregon. Given the time of year, what's coming is almost unique in severity. This thing has sucked up some very warm and moist tropical air and as it drags much cooler but not much dryer air from Canada's interior and wraps that around the center of the low (28.8 inches at last report - supposed to get deeper) the storm will generate near record rainfall amounts. The Willamette Valley expects between 2 and 4 inches before Thursday. We're gonna get some wind too, but the signature feature this time will be the phenomenal rainfall amounts.

There are more such storms (tho' not nearly as severe) predicted for the next 10 or so days and the Climate Prediction Center doesn't offer a lot of hope we'll get out of this weather pattern any time soon. We here could be seeing a grim and unpleasant summer indeed.
I'm jealous (not being sarcastic).

My prediction has no basis in fact, but I think we'll probably have temperatures average to slightly above average and average precipitation here in New Jersey. While it has been very mild lately, I think temps will stay "stuck" in the 80s most of the summer. Only difference is summer started about a month early this year.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:43 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,475,374 times
Hopefully a very wet, cloudy and cooler summer. After suffering through a dry January and the hottest/humid February nights on record, we are well due for a cooler one...

Old 06-03-2010, 03:54 AM

1,507 posts, read 981,826 times
An "average summer", with the occasional hot spell interspersed with strong southerly changes, will do me just fine.
With June looking very wet, like it was in 2007 : see
June 2007 Hunter Region and Central Coast storms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
we should get a below average summer as was the case in 2007/08.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather