Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:17 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
LOL @ the pigs.

My SO and I are having a small, small wedding. Both of our immediate families and that's it. 5 guests in all. My guess is that we will probably go to dinner afterwards. We are also not getting expensive rings, probably just bands. We plan on putting everything we have into the house we buy in the coming year.
How about your engagement ring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
People should study the advertisement campaign that Debeers started over 75-100 years ago. You should also look into the Sigmund Freud connection.

"They came up with a campaign targeting the emotional value of a diamond. Frances Gerety, a young copywriter for N.W. Ayer, coined the famous slogan "A Diamond is Forever."

The History Behind the DeBeers Diamond Cartel - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

I mean, if women somewhere in the ancient past collectively on there own wanted diamonds, I would not have an issue with it, but the fact remains that a group of men in the late early 1900's figured out a way to instill the belief into women that they need a piece of rock before they get married.

It is the greatest marketing gimmick in all of history that I know of. Anything before this time period, women did not desire diamonds, and often rings were passed down (reused).
Like I have said before, women dream about their proposal, engagement rings, weddings, etc. Since they barely begin to walk. Beside them dreaming about it you have those who want to show it off to all their girlfriends and be all proud about how much money their guy spent on it. No wonder celebrity gossip about how much X Guy spent on an engagement ring is hot gossip around women. I've heard of women who end the relationship because their ring was not expensive "Oh my gawd, is that how much you love me?!" kind of thing.

I think it would be sweet if a girl also proposed to me with ring, speeches, a place she prepared for me (outdoors, fancy elegant restaurant, etc.) and so on. It's unlikely it will happen but I would care less if it was a ring that came out of a cracker jack box. The whole meaning about it is what I like. Rather spend her 3 month average salary on something we will both enjoy (house downpayment, vacations, another car, home improvement, etc.).

Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Like I have said before, women dream about their proposal, engagement rings, weddings, etc. Since they barely begin to walk. Beside them dreaming about it you have those who want to show it off to all their girlfriends and be all proud about how much money their guy spent on it. No wonder celebrity gossip about how much X Guy spent on an engagement ring is hot gossip around women. I've heard of women who end the relationship because their ring was not expensive "Oh my gawd, is that how much you love me?!" kind of thing.

I think it would be sweet if a girl also proposed to me with ring, speeches, a place she prepared for me (outdoors, fancy elegant restaurant, etc.) and so on. It's unlikely it will happen but I would care less if it was a ring that came out of a cracker jack box. The whole meaning about it is what I like. Rather spend her 3 month average salary on something we will both enjoy (house downpayment, vacations, another car, home improvement, etc.).
I have a friend who paid for half of her engagement ring. It was very important to her to have a Canadian diamond so she paid for it, too. Is that equitable enough for ya?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I have a friend who paid for half of her engagement ring. It was very important to her to have a Canadian diamond so she paid for it, too. Is that equitable enough for ya?
So both paid for both of their engagement rings, right? Did he also get an engagement ring from her?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I want wedding cake!! I want wedding cake!! I want wedding cake!!
Me too! Me too! Me too!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That's it.
So what about Holodez? I'd be shocked if you liked that. None of my American friends like it. (Cold meat jelly).

Old 06-30-2010, 02:44 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:

Yes I'm sure all the little one year old girls out there are dreaming about their weddings A little overdramatic don't you think?
Why would a woman propose to you since you clearly hate women?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Yes I'm sure all the little one year old girls out there are dreaming about their weddings A little overdramatic don't you think?
Why would a woman propose to you since you clearly hate women?
Am I lying when I say that women dream about their proposal, engagement ring, and wedding? Ok, let's not say ALL but how about MOST?

So looking for the benefit of BOTH genders sounds like hating? Interesting. Women like you who want it all for themselves sounds more hating than someone that wants both genders to be in the receiving end and as involved.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:57 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
Am I lying when I say that women dream about their proposal, engagement ring, and wedding? Ok, let's not say ALL but how about MOST?

So looking for the benefit of BOTH genders sounds like hating? Interesting. Women like you who want it all for themselves sounds more hating than someone that wants both genders to be in the receiving end and as involved.

Now that you've changed your original statement around no. Most women do dream about their wedding. I never did. I was simply stating that you were exagerrating.

I don't understand the second paragraph at all. its all jumbled up....there are word missing.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
So what about Holodez? I'd be shocked if you liked that. None of my American friends like it. (Cold meat jelly).
ummm....was raised on the stuff and I attribute that to one of the many reasons I became a vegetarian at a young age....that and eezick and zjherkoya...and this salted pork thing that I would throw on someone else's plate when they'd turn around lol. ukrainian vegetarian is a bit of an oxymoron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings