Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 PM

6,547 posts, read 7,266,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Why blow all the money on ONE DAY, when you could use that money for something you'd enjoy for years, like a house or a car?

It just seems completely shallow and egotistical to waste money that way.
I agree. Same thing with the engagement ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,343,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I agree. Same thing with the engagement ring.
I always wanted a unique looking wedding band and would forgo the engagement ring for something that we could both love and enjoy.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I always wanted a unique looking wedding band and would forgo the engagement ring for something that we could both love and enjoy.
Interesting . Even if we proposed to each other, I would be happy with something that had meaning to both of us rather than having thousands of dollars wrapped around my finger and her's.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
No, I wouldn't want to spend all my savings on a wedding, but I did spend around $20,000 on my daughter's wedding. I could afford it. It was a party for my daughter, future SIL, my wife's and my friends, our relatives and those of my future SIL. I didn't consider it a waste of money, even when the marriage ended. It was a party, for heaven's sake.

Most people still only get married once. It's a day to dream of and a day to remember. If you can afford it, splurge! If finances are tight, hold the spending to a minimum. I've done it both ways. Both were good days and I've had no regrets.
I agree. I wouldn't spend all my savings on a wedding, but I see no problem with having a nice party if you can afford it.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM

29,700 posts, read 34,246,140 times
I've never had any interest in weddings, or had a dream of what my wedding would be like since I was a child. I do however, hope to have an awesome reception. Not fancy or extravagant or expensive by any means, but a truly fun celebration with family and friends.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 AM

22,237 posts, read 29,276,194 times
No, because I'm smart

Old 06-29-2010, 11:37 AM

3,490 posts, read 8,210,878 times
To answer the question, if you have to pinch pennies or go into debt for a wedding, then no it's not worth it.

Having said that, I do think a big wedding can be wonderful if you can afford it. DH and I got married twice, once in Vegas by Elvis and once in England with the family paid for by my Father.

Gotta admit the family wedding was very special. The location was special, the gathering of family and friends from all over the world was special. It truely is a day we will remember for the rest of our lives.

Having said that we got married in a rural location, so despite a very 'expensive' venue, our wedding still cost a lot less than a lot of my friend's weddings in the north east USA in much more normal venues.

My friend's sister got married in NYC a couple of years ago. The wedding cost $100,000 () and they divorced less than a year later. She had doubts going in, so I couldn't fathom her parents agreeing to pay for everything given the circumstances.

I would say if you can afford it, then have the wedding. If not, don't. If it's with the right person it will be a very special day no matter how you do it. The party and other stuff are just nice bonuses if you can afford them, but they should not be the focus of the day.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,369,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post

If your parents aren't footing the bill and you're pinching pennies to pay for a big wedding, is it worth it?
Nope! We spent $1200 on our actual ceremony and it was well worth anything we would have spent on a big lavish event with everyone there. It was just what we wanted, a barefoot-in-the-sand, beach wedding in Hawaii. Just he and I.

The extra money we have, we are saving for the house down payment.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
The extra money we have, we are saving for the house down payment.
Somehow I think weddings are pretty much a quinceañera or sweet 16.

Anyways, I rather do that too than having my girl spend all her money and me spend all my money on engagement rings and the wedding.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:39 PM

548 posts, read 1,214,479 times
I think spending all your savings on a wedding is a bad idea. I would only spend what you absolutely need to get a "nice" wedding (whatever that means to you) and leave the rest of your savings for a house/car/cushion.

You can really skimp on a lot of things at a wedding (flowers, cake) and it will still look nice. Just make sure to get a good photographer (pictures last longer than just that day) and a dress you look pretty in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings