U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2010, 02:30 PM
 
72 posts, read 112,187 times
Reputation: 61
I would definitely be planning to wear a wrap or cardigan over any of these dresses. I wasn't raised under a rock. But I like the versatility of being able to take the sweater or wrap off after the ceremony for the reception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
 
72 posts, read 112,187 times
Reputation: 61
I was also considering a camisole under dress 1 in case the v neck was too low.
I ordered both dress 1 and 2, but unfortunately dress 2 is too long on me (hits me at an awkward mid-calf length) since I am petite. Dress 1 has not come in yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM
 
8,464 posts, read 11,826,146 times
Reputation: 6044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenamanie View Post
I would definitely be planning to wear a wrap or cardigan over any of these dresses. I wasn't raised under a rock. But I like the versatility of being able to take the sweater or wrap off after the ceremony for the reception.
I certainly did not think you have been under a rock. But, you did pose the question as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenamanie View Post
I'm invited to a wedding in a couple of weeks. It begins at 4:30 pm but the reception goes into the evening.
It is a Catholic wedding in a church with the reception to follow at a fairly fancy ballroom location.
I was told semi-formal attire/cocktail dress.
I am 24 years old and wanted to know which of any of these would be appropriate or what you might suggest
You asked which would be "appropriate." You didn't ask which was the best look.

I'm sure that you know that you could wear just about anything to a "semi formal/cocktail dress fancy reception", right? So I took your question as to what would be "appropriate" at an afternoon Catholic wedding. With a shawl or as you say, a wrap, all of those would be appropriate. Anyone would know that. Without, none. Glad you know that, but then why did you ask? We went to my niece's Catholic wedding in Indiana and were rather shocked at the attire. I hoped to spare you that embarrassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 04:23 PM
 
72 posts, read 112,187 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I certainly did not think you have been under a rock. But, you did pose the question as follows:



You asked which would be "appropriate." You didn't ask which was the best look.

I'm sure that you know that you could wear just about anything to a "semi formal/cocktail dress fancy reception", right? So I took your question as to what would be "appropriate" at an afternoon Catholic wedding. With a shawl or as you say, a wrap, all of those would be appropriate. Anyone would know that. Without, none. Glad you know that, but then why did you ask? We went to my niece's Catholic wedding in Indiana and were rather shocked at the attire. I hoped to spare you that embarrassment.
That is true. I was more concerned as to whether or not they would be too formal or not formal enough. I have also seen some questionable things worn at weddings, and wanted to make sure I didn't end up in the same category. I'm not good at trusting my own judgment. Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 04:36 PM
 
8,464 posts, read 11,826,146 times
Reputation: 6044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenamanie View Post
That is true. I was more concerned as to whether or not they would be too formal or not formal enough. I have also seen some questionable things worn at weddings, and wanted to make sure I didn't end up in the same category. I'm not good at trusting my own judgment. Thanks for the advice!
BTW, all of those dresses are lovely. I'm sure you will look terrific. I forwarded that Nordstrom link to my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 08:56 PM
 
3,905 posts, read 5,455,620 times
Reputation: 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenamanie View Post
I'm invited to a wedding in a couple of weeks. It begins at 4:30 pm but the reception goes into the evening.
It is a Catholic wedding in a church with the reception to follow at a fairly fancy ballroom location.
I was told semi-formal attire/cocktail dress.
I am 24 years old and wanted to know which of any of these would be appropriate or what you might suggest
Is the church a BASILICA? If it is, you technically need sleeves (or a nice scarf around the shoulders). That is protocol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 02:50 PM
 
72 posts, read 112,187 times
Reputation: 61
The church is not a basilica according to the invitation. Just says St. Jude Catholic Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 07:20 PM
 
Location: East Coast
2,339 posts, read 2,190,919 times
Reputation: 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenamanie View Post
I ordered both dress 1 and 2, but unfortunately dress 2 is too long on me (hits me at an awkward mid-calf length) since I am petite.
I liked dress #2 also. Too bad the length isn't right...did you order it in a petite size? I believe it's available for that style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 07:38 PM
 
321 posts, read 621,807 times
Reputation: 450
I think the two at Nordstrom would be better suited for semi-formal attire. Of the two, I also prefer the second.....it seems a bit classier and more formal. Shawl/pashmina is also correct for the church ceremony. Try a pretty silver-ish one with matching pumps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top