Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I need to date a woman like you! I really hate how people feel the need to buy expensive things to express love.
Imagine giving a gift to your girl and have her go "You know, its nice of you but I don't like it that much. Give me more money to UPGRADE the gift you thought it was good enough for me"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
I could care less what size the ring is. My first engagement ring was very small - and I loved it and thought it was gorgeous! Of course, the relationship didn't last and I gave it back - but the size of the ring had nothing to do with it. My husband actually wanted to get me a bigger ring - but I made sure he understood that I wouldn't like anything too big or too ostentatious. I have very small hands and I don't usually wear jewelry. Living in New York City, I have seen so many enormous engagement rings where it looks like the woman can barely hold her hand up. You can see these monstrosities from miles away - it just looks so tacky to me.
I wouldn't have cared if it was just a silver band or a rubber band for that matter - it's what it represents - not how big it is - that's important.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Imagine giving a gift to your girl and have her go "You know, its nice of you but I don't like it that much. Give me more money to UPGRADE the gift you thought it was good enough for me"
I would never date a woman who's that obsessed with material things. If she's fretting about the expensiveness of a gift, then she and I obviously don't share the same values regarding money.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:23 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I would never date a woman who's that obsessed with material things. If she's fretting about the expensiveness of a gift, then she and I obviously don't share the same values regarding money.
I have a friend who would always brag to me about the expensive jewelry and gifts that men would buy her. I never understood that. She goes from guy to guy - and is still going from guy to guy. I've always been in long term relationships and am now happily married. I never received expensive jewelry from anyone other than engagement rings. I think it would have made me feel like a prostitute or a trophy if I was dating a guy that just showered me with expensive presents.
When my husband and I first started dating - sometimes he'd have to work really late and he'd tell me that he wasn't sure he'd have time to call me before he went to sleep that night. Well - he called me every single night with out fail. This meant more to me than anything that he could have bought for me. He missed me. He needed me. He wanted to hear my voice at night. That's love to me, much more so than a ring or a necklace or anything.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
I think it just has to stand out for some reason. So if its exactly what your want, huge, unique or a family heirloom, etc they would all be good for what they are standing for. A symbol of love that is special because its fitting or impressive or unique or special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings