Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 AM

346 posts, read 968,030 times

Advertisements

"No" *shaking her head "yes"*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 02:43 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times
Throw out that 2-month or 3-month guideline. Spend what you can realistically afford without going into debt.

I think the style of ring you chose was pretty but she is the one who will be wearing it so let her choose it. Take her to try on rings of different shapes and sizes and colors and clarity. You'll both know when you find the right ring.

Personally, I think huge diamonds are not attractive on small hands. But mid-sized diamonds look nice on most hands. Quality is a huge factor in a diamond's price so you'll need to decide if you'd rather spend your money on a smaller, but better quality stone or sacrifice quality for a bigger stone.

Again, I wouldn't spend more than what you are comfortable spending and I think you can find a nice ring that will make both of you happy.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 AM

69 posts, read 80,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblack201198 View Post
Girls, as to engaement rings, do you care about the size? I think the size is not an issue, as long as it fits your finger, right? But my gf don't think so. The other day, I bought this pair of rings for her. Who knows, she said it not big enough. And she even implied the size is sort of matters.. If I don't get a good ring- then what does that say for the rest of the relationship or marriage... It predicts bad things! I'm so confused now. So, what's your opinion?
It says a lot 1/2 carat is not going cheap by no means and truly being a rock hound/gem collector here and I have an incredible collection.

It says a lot about her for sure and quality of the diamond the 4'c's is much more important ..cut,carat,clarity and color.

She should have been more thrilled you asked her instead of being selfish and actually having the nerve to say its not good enough...if she truly loved you she'd have never said such a thing.

My husband knew I didn't like diamonds and when he asked me based on that fact...he asked me to pick one of my favorite stones and had me a ring made which is stunning and I love rubies.

but i'm a special case considering my gemstone collecting hobby and to me it made sense...he still made the proposal special...and the yes came ...because he actually knew what would truly make me happy even if it was out of the box odd.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
I think this should be taken as a case by case scenario and budget obviously plays a big role.

My husband asked me what I had in mind since I have very specific tastes. I knew where he stood financially, so I didn't feel out place suggesting the carat weight I would have liked. Had we been in a different place financially, my preference probably would have ended at shape and setting and I would have left the rest up to him.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Girls, as to engaement rings, do you care about the size? I think the size is not an issue, as long as it fits your finger, right? But my gf don't think so. The other day, I bought this pair of rings for her. Who knows, she said it not big enough. And she even implied the size is sort of matters.. If I don't get a good ring- then what does that say for the rest of the relationship or marriage... It predicts bad things! I'm so confused now. So, what's your opinion?
Are you sure she was talking about the ring?

I was married twice and never got an engagement ring. So whats that tell ya.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The rule is to save 3 months of salary (before taxes).

If what you earn is something the size of 5,000 that's what she gets.

If you earn 20,000 per month then something that costs 60,000 is what she gets.

To be honest, every woman doesn't want an engagement ring, it's just not important.

Engagement ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still, the ring you posted is nice, and if you're not Donald Trump she should be happy to get that.
I guess this is the rule of someone who sells diamonds for a living. At some point the dollar amounts get to be a little ridiculous unless you have no other priorities in life - but to each their own. I wouldn't spend a quarter of my yearly take home pay on a diamond ring, and I didn't.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
I think this rule is ridiculous. Would a woman really want to wear a $60,000 ring on her finger everywhere she went? A rock that size and quality is enough to tempt even an honest person. That's just a mugging waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The rule is to save 3 months of salary (before taxes).

If what you earn is something the size of 5,000 that's what she gets.

If you earn 20,000 per month then something that costs 60,000 is what she gets.

To be honest, every woman doesn't want an engagement ring, it's just not important.

Engagement ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still, the ring you posted is nice, and if you're not Donald Trump she should be happy to get that.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Quote:
The rings look nice to me.

She's talking about the size of the diamond. Some females care about the size of the diamond, so they can show off to their girlfriends.

She's a little selfish.

How old are you guys?

Would you like to go into debt with rings and costly wedding? Now is the time you guys talk about money and finance.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
I never cared about the size of the ring, moreso, I never even cared for engagement ring tradition of this country. I was very clear about it to my boyfriend (now husband) and he got me an untraditional ring. I would be fine without it too.

I don't understand caring about the size of a diamond, unless you have big man hands and a tiny diamond just looks pathetic on you, but to each its own, if it's important to your girlfriend, start saving now.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Women's ring size is usually the same as their shoe size. Size 6 shoe size 6 ring, normally. You do not want to give a ring too large or too small. Reminds me of high school girls wearing their boyfriends ring with a layer of yarn or on a chain.

As far as stones many women are embracing other gems instead of diamonds.

My wife and I have matching titanium rings, no stones.

I never heard of this. In that case, my shoe size should be 3 1/2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings