Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:49 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
The youngest groom was 16. But a girl marrying at 13 is quite a shocker! WOW! I know that marrying that early is common in Africa and Asia, but it still occurs here in the United States. But still, how can a 13 year old even be ready for that commitment of a lifelong union?

The information is in the bottom right box.
http://www.adph.org/healthstats/assets/VS20009.pdf

What do you think about that?
Go find some stats on the average age of brides & grooms in each state. Then, we can really sit down and make typical condescending comments about the South's backwardness.

The States of Marriage and Divorce - Pew Research Center

As much as I'd love to abuse every opportunity I get to rip on the South, I'm afraid a single extreme wouldn't cut it this time. Try again later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Go find some stats on the average age of brides & grooms in each state. Then, we can really sit down and make typical condescending comments about the South's backwardness.

The States of Marriage and Divorce - Pew Research Center

As much as I'd love to abuse every opportunity I get to rip on the South, I'm afraid a single extreme wouldn't cut it this time. Try again later.
Actually, that link shows the median, not the mean, so it's just as irrelevant as your 13 year old bride.

Go find some stats on the mean.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Unlike Saudi Arabia and the like girls here are not forced to marry and not forced to marry someone they dont even know.

It seems to me that teenagers and young adults today are a lot less mature than each preceeding generation. It wasnt so uncommon in the US for people to marry young not so long ago. My mothers half sister married at 14, my mother at 16, and no neither one was pregnant. My older sisters generation generally married at 18 or just out of HS. Even my generation married a lot younger than today.
Yeah I'm assuming that a 13 year old is still a child, and thus decision making is not the same as say, a 23 year old - so being forced/coerced/encouraged or not, is debatable.

Teenagers could be less mature, or more worldly. Getting married at 14? No, I still had to finish my high school education, then my tertiary education and then work.

they were getting married at that age for a reason.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Because I raised kids and live a particular way it's hard for me to "get" someone so young getting married. But I accept that not everyones life is like mine. And the things I consider opportunities aren't available, possible, or even desired by everyone.

Maybe marrying someone is the key to a better life? I don't know.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,939 times
WOW, it is so terrible!!!
how to take a child, she is just a child!!!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
maybe my white trash roots are showing, but i don't see what the big deal is, if two really young people want to get married.

if one of them is older, ok now thats creepy. but 13 and 16... it's weird, it's risky, and it's not what i'd want for my family or myself... but I don't think it is morally wrong for others.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
There are some religions where the parents make the kids marry someone older. They parade them in a type of beauty contest show so they can get a husband. They also get money for the favor.I forgot what religion this is, but I think it was the mormons, over in Utah. There was a Dateline show about it some years back.

I think you are refering to the travellers (gypsies).

Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Yeah I'm assuming that a 13 year old is still a child, and thus decision making is not the same as say, a 23 year old - so being forced/coerced/encouraged or not, is debatable.

Teenagers could be less mature, or more worldly. Getting married at 14? No, I still had to finish my high school education, then my tertiary education and then work.

they were getting married at that age for a reason.

And today we see 23 yr olds that arent any better at decision making than a 13 yr. old and day care in HS for children of 14 yr. olds if they manage to stay in HS and graduate but they usually drop out and get on welfare instead of finishing their education and ever going to work.

So the occasional 13-14-15 yr. old marrying, even if she is pregnant, dosent sound sooo bad.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i love how the OP said "lifelong commitment"--as if you actually expect this marriage to survive! HA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings