U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 AM

4,236 posts, read 4,661,815 times

Advertisements

As someone already said, you pay a premium for the Tiffany name. The same exact diamond bought elsewhere will cost less.

It's not as if you can't get the best of the "Four Cs" outside of Tiffany.

In the eighties, I felt that Tiffany designs were more refined than most other jewelers. But since the nineties, a lot of inspired designers have blossomed and outdone them.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 04-19-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 01:10 PM

258 posts, read 354,843 times
The Tiffany brand name demands a premium price but it will help in resale value later down the line if you decide to sell it or trade it in. I do know of a bunch of people that were able to purchase second hand legit Tiffany engagement rings on ebay or second hand shops (much harder to locate for the latter). Personally I would go for a bigger better clarity non-Tiffany since most people do not sell their engagement rings but it's to each their own. Most people won't know it's from Tiffany's unless you straight out tell them.

Just remember: Not sure what carat size you're looking for but you'll have to sacrifice in carat size if you for the better specs of the diamond. Their settings themselves are very pricey, I'd say average around 1,500 and don't forget you'll have to include that in the budget. From what I recall Tiffany only carries diamonds I and up in the color scale. If you go lower on the color scale you can get a bigger diamond for the same price and I would recommend finding one that has faint fluorescence if you do so.

Can't remember what their limit was on clarity though, I'm assuming S1 though. And if you go lower on that, you can get the bigger diamond as long as you make sure that the inclusions are eye clean. There's debate on feather inclusions but I would stay away from a diamond that shows a feather placed near the edge of the grading report. And 18K gold will be much cheaper than platinum for the setting.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 AM

22,528 posts, read 10,447,035 times
I think you are paying a premium for the "Tiffany" name. A good quality diamond can be purchased from a variety of stores and sources, but be absolutely certain that it comes with a certificate from The Gemological Institute Of America (GIA) ... and ONLY the GIA!

In my view the color grade of "G" or better (D, E, or F) and the clarity grade of "SI 1" ("eye clean") or better (Flawless, VVS 1 or 2, VS 1 or 2) are good stones. Equally important is the quality of the cut, polish and proportions. Be certain you get that certificate!

A colleague of mine bought an engagement ring, a solitaire diamond, and demanded a very high grade diamond ... his diamond was less than a carat - about .85 I think but it was an "E" color and a VVS 2 clarity; best of all it's cut and proportions were virtually perfect according to GIA specifications. It was purchased on the internet ... he did his research ... I think he used a company called "Diamonds On Web" ... but myself I would want to look at the ring first!

Old 04-24-2011, 05:22 AM

40,035 posts, read 43,957,166 times
I don't get it. They have website...tiffanyandco.com.
You can price rings there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings