Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times

Advertisements

This summer our son is getting married and I need some fashion advice. The wedding will be at 2:00 pm, held at their church with a reception to follow at the activity center at the church. He lives in Texas and with temps already hitting the 100 degree mark in April it is sure to be really hot. Some friends have recommened a sundress with wide straps with a shawl but I am not sure if that is dressy enough. I am on a budget and would prefer to buy something that could be worn more than once, any ideas or pictures for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
The term "sundress" is usually linked to a very informal look. You might find better luck looking for tea gowns, or "short mother of the bride dress" with an image search on google.

What you want, is more of the "semi-formal garden party" variety of dress with either capped sleeves, or a wrap over the shoulders paired with short sleeves.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
This summer our son is getting married and I need some fashion advice. The wedding will be at 2:00 pm, held at their church with a reception to follow at the activity center at the church. He lives in Texas and with temps already hitting the 100 degree mark in April it is sure to be really hot. Some friends have recommened a sundress with wide straps with a shawl but I am not sure if that is dressy enough. I am on a budget and would prefer to buy something that could be worn more than once, any ideas or pictures for me?
Before you start looking at clothes, you should probably ask the bride if she has any preferences. Some brides like to plan everything down to the last detail, including what their future MIL's wear.

Even thought it's hot in Texas in the summer, the church and reception area will be air-conditioned. You can wear a short sleeved dress, or a dress with some sort of jacket and be perfectly comfortable.

The adage for the mother-of-the-groom is "wear beige and shut up," meaning be tasteful and don't try to steal anyone's thunder. If you get a little direction from the bride (or better yet, if she says to wear what makes you comfortable), you can probably find a budget-conscious dress from a department store that you can wear again.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,866 times
I would check with the bride. Do you know what her mother is wearing? What colours are the bridesmaids wearing? Let us know what you find out. A sleeveless dress with a wrap, and some nice accessories may give you a really classy look.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I think a knee-length dress in an understated spring color would be very nice.

Apparel Classic Clothing at Talbots - Jardin floral dress

Maggy London Stretch Satin Sheath Dress | Nordstrom

A sheath with a little jacket could be perfect. You could wear the jacket indoors to look more conservative (plus the AC might be chilly), and take it off later when you're doing the conga at the reception. Or you could wear a pretty suit.

Tahari ASL Women's Beige 3-button Skirt Suit | Overstock.com

Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I did speak to the bride, her Mom hasn't gotten her dress yet but it will be knee length, and the bridesmaids are wearing the color Mermaid.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Before you start looking at clothes, you should probably ask the bride if she has any preferences. Some brides like to plan everything down to the last detail, including what their future MIL's wear.

Even thought it's hot in Texas in the summer, the church and reception area will be air-conditioned. You can wear a short sleeved dress, or a dress with some sort of jacket and be perfectly comfortable.

The adage for the mother-of-the-groom is "wear beige and shut up," meaning be tasteful and don't try to steal anyone's thunder. If you get a little direction from the bride (or better yet, if she says to wear what makes you comfortable), you can probably find a budget-conscious dress from a department store that you can wear again.
I am definately getting that message, however my only daughter tells me I will have my day as mother of the bride someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings