U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,349,549 times

Advertisements

watered down.

Someone has succeeded in having the marriage vow to "love, honour and obey" altered.

I re-heard the "vows" and it's not quite there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 PM

86 posts, read 106,218 times
Diana's vows omitted 'obey' too.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 PM

7,004 posts, read 6,039,806 times
Why so self-righteous?

I think you'll find that very few brides promise to "obey" these days, and that this has been the case for years. It seems to me that this actually strengthens their vows rather than "waters them down", as such vows are far more likely to be followed than perhaps well-intentioned but highly unlikely promises to obey one's spouse - with "at all times and in all situations" being unsaid but assumed.

What intelligent, self-aware, ethical woman would ever want to make a vow of that kind, one likely to be observed in the breach rather than by the letter?

And what intelligent, strong, honorable man would want a wife willing to be so subservient and so unwilling to trust her own best judgement, should it differ from his?

Last edited by CraigCreek; 04-29-2011 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Why so self-righteous?

I think you'll find that very few brides promise to "obey" these days, and that this has been the case for years. It seems to me that this actually strengthens their vows rather than "waters them down", as such vows are far more likely to be followed than perhaps well-intentioned but highly unlikely promises to obey one's spouse - with "at all times and in all situations" being unsaid but assumed.

What intelligent, self-aware, ethical woman would ever want to make a vow of that kind, one likely to be observed in the breach rather than by the letter?

And what intelligent, strong, honorable man would want a wife willing to be so subservient and so unwilling to trust her own best judgement, should it differ from his?
Then why not be just roommates instead?

Makes it much easier when the first argument (do us part) comes along.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM

"Why not be just roommates instead?", asks njguy.

Love. Commitment. Devotion. Respect. Fidelity. Putting your partner and his or her well-being above yourself. Mutual cherishing. Hopes and dreams and plans for a long future together, perhaps with children and eventually, grandchildren.

njguy, it appears you have much to learn about love. That's not meant entirely critically, as the state of having much ahead of you yet to learn can also be a very promising future, if you take pains to apply yourself to this sort of education!

Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
"Why not be just roommates instead?", asks njguy.

Love. Commitment. Devotion. Respect. Fidelity. Putting your partner and his or her well-being above yourself. Mutual cherishing. Hopes and dreams and plans for a long future together, perhaps with children and eventually, grandchildren.

njguy, it appears you have much to learn about love. That's not meant entirely critically, as the state of having much ahead of you yet to learn can also be a very promising future, if you take pains to apply yourself to this sort of education!
Hmmmmmmm.................no.

Why is "OBEY" important? Well I'll let you figure that one out all by yourself.

Anyone can do what you say about any human or animal even from afar.

Oh yes, tell that "love" and all the rest words I bolded in your post to "a partner" who cheated and sleeping around or is looking for a new live-in in divorce court whom is trying to rape the other.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:38 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Hmmmmmmm.................no.

Why is "OBEY" important? Well I'll let you figure that one out all by yourself.

Anyone can do what you say about any human or animal even from afar.

Oh yes, tell that "love" and all the rest words I bolded in your post to "a partner" who cheated and sleeping around or is looking for a new live-in in divorce court whom is trying to rape the other.
??
I am not sure why anyone would want to even speak to someone 'who cheated and sleeping around or is looking for a new live-in'... nor am I sure what this badly constructed 'sentence' ( and I use that word loosely) has to do with removing the word 'obey' from wedding vows...

What has all this to do with animals in the distance ??

Old 04-29-2011, 03:39 PM

Well, sir, in a situation such as you describe, it's clear that all of the other vows have been broken long ago and repeatedly, invalidating the marriage and that vowing "obedience" would be highly unlikely to change such a sad state. Your scenario has little to do with love, devotion, commitment, respect or any of the other virtues I listed previously.

And a term I previously omitted may be one of the most important virtues: trust. Without mutual trust, no true marriage can exist.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
??
I am not sure why anyone would want to even speak to someone 'who cheated and sleeping around or is looking for a new live-in'... nor am I sure what this badly constructed 'sentence' ( and I use that word loosely) has to do with removing the word 'obey' from wedding vows...

What has all this to do with animals in the distance ??
Just like I said - One can love an animal or human the same these days no matter how near or far without the vows because the vows (what's left of them) don't seem to mean anything to the vast amount of "couples". Look at the divorce and staying single rates.

I wrote that (badly constructed) masterpiece sentence in a hurry - sorry about that.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Well, sir, in a situation such as you describe, it's clear that all of the other vows have been broken long ago and repeatedly, invalidating the marriage and that vowing "obedience" would be highly unlikely to change such a sad state. Your scenario has little to do with love, devotion, commitment, respect or any of the other virtues I listed previously.

And a term I previously omitted may be one of the most important virtues: trust. Without mutual trust, no true marriage can exist.
Hard to tell many times how broken it is or was with one before going into the marriage if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings