Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:39 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times

Advertisements

This is what I dont understand:

Lets say I have a family or work function that I invited my signifigant other to, but for whatever reason it may be, she doesnt want to accompany me. In that case, i'd rather her not come. Why would I want her to be there unhappy and at the same time ruin my time because I have to see her sitting there miserable? For that, I'd rather go alone, enjoy myself, and not have an issue with her for making her feel guilty for not joining me. Realistically speaking, why would she even want me to go if she knows how I feel about attending and knows that I wont enjoy going? This is common sense. Am I crazy for thinking this way??

Last edited by louie0406; 07-05-2011 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post

Lets say I have a family or work function that I invited my signifigant other to, but for whatever reason it may be, she doesnt want to accompany me. In that case, i'd rather her not come. Why would I want her to be there unhappy and at the same time ruin my time because I have to see her sitting there miserable? For that, I'd rather go alone, enjoy myself, and not have an issue with her for making her feel guilty for not joining me. This is common sense. Am I crazy for thinking this way??
The "men are always wrong" crowd here will think you are crazy. A more objective person would think you have a valid point.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times
Quote:

Lets say I have a family or work function that I invited my signifigant other to, but for whatever reason it may be, she doesnt want to accompany me. In that case, i'd rather her not come. Why would I want her to be there unhappy and at the same time ruin my time because I have to see her sitting there miserable? For that, I'd rather go alone, enjoy myself, and not have an issue with her for making her feel guilty for not joining me. This is common sense. Am I crazy for thinking this way??
I think to expect someone to go and be miserable and unhappy is extreme. When a person has to attend a function, whether its a business, school or social function, you put on your public face and smile through it.

I don't how old you two are, but most couples will at some point be expected to attend the companies Christmas party or host the out-of-town boss for dinner etc.. A lot of you are arguing against is simply good manners and a modicum of social grace.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:53 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:

Compromise doesn't mean being forced to do something and be miserable while doing it. It's more about getting over yourself and your fears / dislikes of the event for your girlfriend and making the most of it.

If you're going to sit there unhappy and whiny like a little kid, then yes you're right she probably would prefer if you weren't there, but that's also not a full compromise.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Compromise doesn't mean being forced to do something and be miserable while doing it. It's more about getting over yourself and your fears / dislikes of the event for your girlfriend and making the most of it.

If you're going to sit there unhappy and whiny like a little kid, then yes you're right she probably would prefer if you weren't there, but that's also not a full compromise.
Now of course I wouldnt sit there like a "whiny little kid", but we would both know that i'm not happy to be there.

As for "getting over my dislikes and fears". Why do I really have to? If I dont like something I dont like something. Doesnt mean I have a fear of it. I'm not going to force myself into liking something for someone else's benefit.

I hope to god you're not a man. If so, I can see your woman walking all over you.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I think to expect someone to go and be miserable and unhappy is extreme. When a person has to attend a function, whether its a business, school or social function, you put on your public face and smile through it.

I don't how old you two are, but most couples will at some point be expected to attend the companies Christmas party or host the out-of-town boss for dinner etc.. A lot of you are arguing against is simply good manners and a modicum of social grace.
All i'm saying is, if attending a certain function is something that my partner is not happy about doing, then i'd rather her not join me. I wont even be upset. Why would I want to put her in a situation where she wont be happy about doing something? Luckily for me, women are more inclined to attend social gatherings and i've never had a problem with her not wanting to attend an event with me. If she did mind though, I would truly understand.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:26 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:
Now of course I wouldnt sit there like a "whiny little kid", but we would both know that i'm not happy to be there.

As for "getting over my dislikes and fears". Why do I really have to? If I dont like something I dont like something. Doesnt mean I have a fear of it. I'm not going to force myself into liking something for someone else's benefit.

I hope to god you're not a man. If so, I can see your woman walking all over you.
Are you really that stubborn? Your GF wants you to accompany her to a wedding, she's not asking you to sit through a baby shower. How old are you? You do sound like a whiny child, when I'm sure you're well into your 20's... a man over 30 couldn't possibly be as immature as you.

You sound selfish and insecure, two reasons why you're too afraid to meet new people for fear of being judged for your lack of accomplishments or social skills.

Sure you might not be happy you're there, but take the stick out of your __, make the most of it, and try not to be so pessimistic about what most people consider to be a joyous occasion.

I hope you're not religious. I have a balanced relationship with a girl that you could never touch. Enjoy your upset GF and hope she doesn't get picked up by a guy who enjoys weddings as much as she does.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:31 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Are you really that stubborn? Your GF wants you to accompany her to a wedding, she's not asking you to sit through a baby shower. How old are you? You do sound like a whiny child, when I'm sure you're well into your 20's... a man over 30 couldn't possibly be as immature as you.

You sound selfish and insecure, two reasons why you're too afraid to meet new people for fear of being judged for your lack of accomplishments or social skills.

Sure you might not be happy you're there, but take the stick out of your __, make the most of it, and try not to be so pessimistic about what most people consider to be a joyous occasion.

I hope you're not religious. I have a balanced relationship with a girl that you could never touch. Enjoy your upset GF and hope she doesn't get picked up by a guy who enjoys weddings as much as she does.
I think it is very unlikely that a guy who loves weddings like most women do would want women anyway.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry. I must have offended you or touched on a realistic issue going on in your relationship when I said "she must walk all over you". Does she hit you as well? Jeezus. Look who's talking about "taking the stick out of their a**" Its as if you're more upset than her that I dont want to go! Easy buddy. Not all men are as fond of attending weddings as you are.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I think it is very unlikely that a guy who loves weddings like most women do would want women anyway.
Haha... I wanted to say it but couldnt think of a such a nice way to put it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings