U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:48 AM

2,287 posts, read 1,550,248 times

Advertisements

Really, blow $20-30k or more on a wedding? Spend $5k or more on a ring? All of this so that you only have a 50% chance that your marriage will last? Why is it a tradition here to burden yourself with years of debt for 1 stupid "special day"? Thank god I have a reasonable fiance that flat out told me we are spending less than $5k on the wedding by cooking all the food ourselves, having the celebration at the house, and that she'll do all the flowers herself. She also wanted a small ring so that all the money saved vs a traditional wedding can be used for a down payment on a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,972,727 times
People spend irrationally, I think the majority of people in the US who have credit cards utilize some 60% or higher of all their credit (the ideal is a max of 30%!)

Old 08-06-2011, 08:12 AM

662 posts, read 557,606 times
A wedding is really the bride's day. I persoanlly don't believe in the family cooking all the food, I think it has cheap written all over it. Just my opinion. I'm not wealthy, but like nice things. As my dad once told me; you don't bring a sandwich to a banquet. However, I do get the 20-30k on a wedding part. Both of my sisters had their weddings in the 7-10k range and they were nice and classy. It's your wedding do what you want, best of luck

Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 AM

16,123 posts, read 16,236,695 times
I think big weddings are a huge waste of money. I would much rather use the money for something more substantial like a down payment for the start of the rest of our life....not for a one day event.

I'm glad your fiancé has some common sense. You are a lucky man Too many women want to stay daddy's little princess for the rest of their lives

Old 08-06-2011, 08:25 AM

18,255 posts, read 17,635,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Really, blow $20-30k or more on a wedding? Spend $5k or more on a ring? All of this so that you only have a 50% chance that your marriage will last? Why is it a tradition here to burden yourself with years of debt for 1 stupid "special day"? Thank god I have a reasonable fiance that flat out told me we are spending less than $5k on the wedding by cooking all the food ourselves, having the celebration at the house, and that she'll do all the flowers herself. She also wanted a small ring so that all the money saved vs a traditional wedding can be used for a down payment on a house.

"American tradition"?? I beg your pardon.

"the average wedding cost here in the UK falls anywhere between a huge £15,000 and a staggering £25,000, with the cumulative average figure settling around the £18,500 mark"...

"the average cost of a wedding in Australia, in 2009, was $49,202."

"As the 2010 wedding seasons kicks off, the price of tying the knot in Italy has increased by about 40% to 45% in the last seven years to an average of about 30,000 euros which if we go with today’s exchange, we are looking at about £27,600. "

Do some research before posting.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:25 AM

2,287 posts, read 1,550,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
A wedding is really the bride's day. I persoanlly don't believe in the family cooking all the food, I think it has cheap written all over it. Just my opinion. I'm not wealthy, but like nice things. As my dad once told me; you don't bring a sandwich to a banquet. However, I do get the 20-30k on a wedding part. Both of my sisters had their weddings in the 7-10k range and they were nice and classy. It's your wedding do what you want, best of luck
Couldn't disagree with you more. The whole spending $100 or more per plate of food per guest has rip off written all over it. It's unbelievable how much wedding couples get ripped off for food when 95% of all wedding food isn't even that good and is just prepackaged frozen stuff the company catering the event just heats up. I have no doubt at all we could cook fresh food way better for 200% less cost.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:26 AM

22,480 posts, read 27,048,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I persoanlly don't believe in the family cooking all the food, I think it has cheap written all over it. Just my opinion. I'm not wealthy, but like nice things. As my dad once told me; you don't bring a sandwich to a banquet.
What if the "family" is comprised of people with exceptional culinary talents? It's rather a grand assumption that only a paid professional can provide "nice" food for a wedding and that the average family is only capable of throwing together some basic sandwiches!

I personally think it's daft to spend what you don't have on a lavish affair but, if you've got it then I guess it's each to his own.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 AM

8,012 posts, read 4,053,608 times
Ohhhhh! I can I help cook? Pretty please? That sounds like fun. I like your thinking.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:37 AM

21,249 posts, read 19,316,653 times
You don't even need a ring or a party. If you want to skip the "stupid day," just go to the justice of the peace and sign a document in front of witnesses. That's all a marriage is. Don't waste a penny if you don't think it's worth it.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:03 AM

8,409 posts, read 14,337,714 times
A wedding should be what you want it to be and hopefully, can afford. There's no 'rule' that says you have to spend a boatload of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings