Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times

Advertisements

Is family really that important to most people? A lot certain people would say that elopement is a sign of shame, regret, and later divorce.

Why are most Americans so obsessed with huge family weddings? They aren't shy of people looking at them? Do they want publicity?

And why do people try to discourage their shy friends or family members from eloping?

Last edited by West of Encino; 09-24-2011 at 11:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 11:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,495 times
Agreed.

I would def prefer a small wedding over a huge one.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 AM

488 posts, read 554,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Is family really that important to most people?
I would hope so?

Quote:
Why are most Americans so obsessed with huge family weddings? They aren't shy of people looking at them? Do they want publicity?
Or perhaps they would like to celebrate their wedding with the people they love and care about? I would say it's a pretty normal thing to desire to celebrate your wedding with your family and friends.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:54 AM

116 posts, read 153,439 times
I never saw the sense in spending all that money on a big "fairy tale" wedding. It's money better-spent on a down payment for a house or a nice honeymoon. And I'm a woman.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:56 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
I wouldn't spend too much money on a wedding, unless I or he was rich. I'd just rather get the whole thing done. But a lot of people want the world to know they are getting married and prefer large weddings. Others are looking for a stage and an audience.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,039 times
Because a lot of people are more interested in the spectacle of the wedding rather than the symbolic oath they are making to god and each other.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
I had a small wedding but in my opinion, still spent way too much. Blame the Wedding Channel on TV and shows like Platinum Weddings and Bridezillas for the increase in huge spectacle-like weddings in America over the past 10-20 years. People see weddings like those of Chelsea Clinton, Princess Kate and Prince William, et al and feel the need to replicate them. Also,brides to be and female guests love to "judge" weddings they have been to (see TV show 4 Weddings that has 4 brides judging each others weddings for the chance at a free honeymoon prize). If you think about it, how much of a good time you had at a wedding is REALLY a memory that lasts a lifetime (same goes if you went to a wedding where you had a bad time or got sick from the food, etc).

Its also a problem because vendors overcharge for basic services just because its a wedding. My photographer charges only $600 for a full day of services but when he does weddings, BOOM- his rate blew up to almost $2,000. My catering hall charges more for weddings than retirement parties, christenings, etc. The price of a wedding gown alone can run a bride several thousand dollars, easily. Its a Mod cut: foul language. scam i tell you.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-14-2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 AM

563 posts, read 1,499,005 times
My husband and I eloped, but planned on having a wedding down the road (actually we had booked a place for 11/11/11), but my parents divorced, mother was very bitter, and so we just cancelled the whole thing. It kind of sucks because I did want to share that with my family and do the wedding thing, but it would have been a small one and hopefully not too expensive!

Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Is family really that important to most people? A lot certain people would say that elopement is a sign of shame, regret, and later divorce.

And why do people try to discourage their shy friends or family members from eloping?
Respondents so far have given their personal opinions on wedding expenses but, to address your original question, "Why do people prefer big weddings over small ones or eloping?", who says that they do? Do you have statistics to back up the assumption? Just curious.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:44 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
A lot of weddings start small, then family members get involved. Or the bride or groom can't afford things so the parents take over. It becomes what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings