Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,344 times

Advertisements

I didnt read the article, so i dont know if it came with pictures of the couple, and their ages. Why? Because he is a doctor, so he has money. Lots of these men with money want a young, hot thing to parade around on their arm. The 'trophy' wife. Anyone ever watch that show, The Millionare Matchmaker? They all want the young beauty queen. Lots of men do, its just that the weathier men can attract them more.

But, then you get the chicks that just care about the cash, cause why else would they be with you if you are not in their league based on looks.

Now, again, i dont know what this couple looked like, or ages, etc. But, if he got with her simply because she was a hot body, etc I dont feel bad for him at all. You reap what you sow.

Obviously he was not that good of a judge of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Give back? I wouldn't accept it in the first place. I don't want blood on my hands.

Diamonds of War: Africa's Blood Diamond - YouTube

However, tradition dictates that if the man breaks the engagement, the woman keeps the ring. If the woman breaks the engagement, she gives the ring back. As I understand it, in some states there are laws about rings being contracts, but I have heard of one case where an attorney showed that the ring was a gift because it was given on Christmas and therefore the woman didn't have to give it back.

And you'd better believe that if I were to receive a ring with a cultured (not mined) diamond and the man cheated on me, oh, he'd never see that ring again and I would have a new car when I came back from Tahiti.

...You are aware that the actual number of blood diamonds is ~10% or less, right? And that diamonds can be gotten from places other than Africa? just sayin'. but that's OT.

Your hypothetical thing at the end there is moot because the giver of the ring was not the cheater, the receiver was.

I just can't believe that someone would spend $73,000 on an ENGAGEMENT ring. With a price like that, I'm curious to see what the actual wedding ring would have been.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
wrong! I didn't read the article, I just read the title of the thread and said no I wouldn't give it back, but since she did call it off, then she needs to give it back, also he's dumb to spend that much on her if they haven't been together for a long time, who's fault is that?
Ah. Blaming the victim, I see. Does that mean if an attractive woman is sexually assaulted, it's her fault by dressing provocatively?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Houston surgeon suing to get engagement ring back from former fiancé - Houston Chronicle

So here's a question for you women, would you give back the ring? Me personally, I think he's a idiot to begin with for buying any women a 73K ring. And then in the article he says that she was he "equal". It didn't sound equal to me, it sounds like he was doing all the spending and she was going for the ride.
Exactly. Any guy that buys such an expensive ring for a woman is a dolt. No sympathy!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Ah. Blaming the victim, I see. Does that mean if an attractive woman is sexually assaulted, it's her fault by dressing provocatively?
Sometimes you have to blame the victim. Why do people think we have to be so politically correct that we cant tell someone " You screwed up dude".

Yeah, victims NEED to be blamed sometimes, because some do stupid things. Thats just a fact. Not saying every victim should be blamed, or even that THIS guy needs to be blamed, as i dont know enough of the story.

But, i have met plenty of victims that you just want to smack them upside the head and say "what the h$ll were you thinking??"

Nothing wrong with having someone take responsiblity for their own stupid actions. But, this is America. We tend to frown on that I guess.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Um if they are or if he was rich he could afford it. Singers and Actors blow this money all the time. She was wrong for running away with this. Yet I don't know how it will hold up in court? It's a gift. Yet if he has all the documentation of proof of purchase.....I guess he technically owns it by proof of purchase. But it's a fine line say you buy a car for someone then have a fight, you want it back? The person who bought it wins right?

If I had a ring that expensive.......I think I would yell too about wasting that kind of money. You could put a down payment on a house, buy a car and save money for college.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
There are a few objective ways to look at this situation.

First of all - he needs to have his license to practice medicine revoked immediately since nobody that is that stupid should be a doctor.

Next, if they were together for a few months and if for example he had sex with her about 36 times, then the cost of the ring is an average of $2,000 per act of intimacy, and he should just consider that the cost of doing business with a **** and move on. . . and realize that he is lucky he did not get her pregnant.

Or the court should rule that she is able to keep the ring if she meets one condition set by the judge in the case. In the event she wants to keep the ring, she has 30 days to report back to the court with a tramp stamp that says "*****". With some flowers or tribal design around it.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Sometimes you have to blame the victim. Why do people think we have to be so politically correct that we cant tell someone " You screwed up dude".

Yeah, victims NEED to be blamed sometimes, because some do stupid things. Thats just a fact. Not saying every victim should be blamed, or even that THIS guy needs to be blamed, as i dont know enough of the story.

But, i have met plenty of victims that you just want to smack them upside the head and say "what the h$ll were you thinking??"

Nothing wrong with having someone take responsiblity for their own stupid actions. But, this is America. We tend to frown on that I guess.
That's totally nonsensical. The guy thought she was the real deal and bought her a ring. Would I have paid that much? No. But that's really beside the point.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 PM

438 posts, read 1,730,561 times
She broke the engagement so it should be returned. The cost of the ring shouldn't be a determining factor.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:50 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
They met in spring, he bought the ring on August 8th, and now it's over, and she's disappeared with the $73,000 ring and $75,000.

Hmmm,
Double hmmmm..... I'm not sure I'm buying his side of the story. Yes, there are whirlwind romances but it was irresponsible to expose himself to such a large monetary loss for someone he has known for such a short time. Sure hope he exercises better judgement in the operating room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings