U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM

636 posts, read 1,001,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You can always have it made into something, like decorative pillows, blankets, mantel scarf. If you celebrate Christmas, then a tree skirt and stockings are an option.
I think I'm going to pry open that odd "saver" box and see if it's fit to be sold - if so, I'll let someone else have fun with the beadwork and make decorative whatnot till their heart's content!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM

7,228 posts, read 8,133,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Another idea about the crystals, if they are beads, you can cut them off and sell them. Or have them made into something you like! Australian crystal is expensive. I've made several things from salvaged jewelry.

The only reason I saved my dress is in case one of my daughters wants it. If not, SOLD. What do I need it for?
Maybe if you ever have grandchildren you can have your wedding gown made into a christening gown. I contemplated that, but just couldn't put the scissors to my wedding gown. . In the end, we found a christening gown for my daughter that resembled my wedding gown. I won't part with that gown either!!!

My mom had my grandmother's wedding gown made into a christening slip and my daughter's initials are monogrammed in it. Should my sister have a little girl, she'll take the slip and do the same.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 PM

20,792 posts, read 18,045,442 times
Mine has a tulle ballerina skirt, and the bodice is all beaded, so I'm not sure if it could be cut down to make anything new. It's all boxed up. We'll open it someday and take a look. I don't want to open it just to close it back up again ... it's like $75 to have it done. I'm afraid that the tulle will not have held up well, but we'll see.

I also have the most beautiful ball gown in the whole wide world in a box. I've worn it three times, then I let my sister-in-law have it taken in to wear to a party, and my oldest daughter has been begging to wear it for, oh, about 10 years. I told her she can wear it to senior prom if she really wants to. It has a massive skirt, so I don't know what she's thinking ... it's more of a standing-around-and-looking-gorgeous kind of dress. It has a sweep train too. So wrong for prom, IMO. But it's up to her.

Come to think of it, I spent about the same on both dresses.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:40 PM

16,827 posts, read 13,606,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Mine was more than $20,000.

It was well worth it. I paid for it myself. I was certainly no maiden on my wedding, and my husband and I paid for the entire wedding ourselves. I knew exactly what I wanted, and that's actually why it cost so much. We just weren't two kids getting married. We were already established professionals; entertaining clients, coworkers and family is an expensive past time.

Totally worth it.
I bet no one there would have known the difference if it cost $1K or $20K. That's more than my entire wedding for 300 people cost.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM

27 posts, read 23,752 times
Nothing. I rented mine for $100.00. My two bridesmaids rented theirs for $75.00. That's a deal!

Old 10-19-2011, 02:09 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,500,597 times
I told myself I would spend no more than $1000 on my dress. I ended up getting it for $250 at the Filene's Basement running of the brides sale. The original retail of the dress was about $2,800, I think. My sister just got engaged and also got her dress there for $299. That sale is the way to go... and it was nothing like the madhouse it is often portrayed as on the news.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 PM

541 posts, read 409,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Mine was more than $20,000.

It was well worth it. I paid for it myself. I was certainly no maiden on my wedding, and my husband and I paid for the entire wedding ourselves. I knew exactly what I wanted, and that's actually why it cost so much. We just weren't two kids getting married. We were already established professionals; entertaining clients, coworkers and family is an expensive past time.

Totally worth it.

really? wow $ 20,000.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:55 PM

541 posts, read 409,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Mine has a tulle ballerina skirt, and the bodice is all beaded, so I'm not sure if it could be cut down to make anything new. It's all boxed up. We'll open it someday and take a look. I don't want to open it just to close it back up again ... it's like $75 to have it done. I'm afraid that the tulle will not have held up well, but we'll see.

I also have the most beautiful ball gown in the whole wide world in a box. I've worn it three times, then I let my sister-in-law have it taken in to wear to a party, and my oldest daughter has been begging to wear it for, oh, about 10 years. I told her she can wear it to senior prom if she really wants to. It has a massive skirt, so I don't know what she's thinking ... it's more of a standing-around-and-looking-gorgeous kind of dress. It has a sweep train too. So wrong for prom, IMO. But it's up to her.

Come to think of it, I spent about the same on both dresses.

Both sounds gorgeous!!! Can see a picture of both. It sounds like my ideal dress.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM

184 posts, read 295,791 times
i can't imagine spending any amount of money on something i will only wear for one day. my someday wedding plans are extremely casual and true to who me and my beau are, as individuals and as a couple. whatever we end up wearing on our wedding day, it'll be affordable, and it'll become part of our regular wardrobes, not something to be stuffed in a box and shoved in the back of a closet for the rest of our lives.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:17 AM

859 posts, read 989,164 times
I got married in 1983 - I spent $85.00 on my dress... off-white cotton w/lots of flat lace, small bead-pearls, mid-sleeve (seethru), long, and 'natural' looking. I LOVED it. I also just had my best friend as a maid-of-honor, and she wore one of her prom dresses.

IF I ever got married again these days, which i probably wouldnt - I might spend up to about $300. No more than that.

If I had a lot of money to spend - i'd rather spend it toward a house if i didnt have one (which we did do when we got married), or toward the honeymoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings