Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:14 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine and her boyfriend got engaged roughly 7 weeks ago and they got married yesterday at the courthouse. But, the "official" wedding will take place next July. However, they're considering not serving alcohol at their wedding reception.

They're both under 21 and the neither of them drink (no, they're not Mormons). Plus, they're concerned about people drinking too much, getting drunk and having problems arise from this. On the other hand, they're worried that people may be disappointed by the lack of alcohol since alcohol is usually expected and served at events like these.

What do you think?

Personally, I applaud them for considering not having alcohol served. I don't drink and I don't like the way people get when under the influence of alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
I wouldn't attend...that's the best part after the ceremony(of course)!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Withholding any commentary on both being under the age of 21... It is their wedding, they are able to celebrate it and share it however they see fit. To that end I am not a drinker, so I have no issue with it.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I wouldn't attend...that's the best part after the ceremony(of course)!
Seriously? You would skip it just because you can't drink?

It's the couple's wedding and their choice. Period. If I go to a wedding/reception, it's because I care about the couple and want to help them celebrate their special day. I don't care what will or will not be served.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
A friend of mine and her boyfriend got engaged roughly 7 weeks ago and they got married yesterday at the courthouse. But, the "real" official wedding will take place next July. However, they're considering not serving alcohol at their wedding reception.

They're both under 21 and the neither of them drink (no, they're not Mormons). Plus, they're concerned about people drinking too much, getting drunk and having problems arise from this. On the other hand, they're worried that people may be disappointed by the lack of alcohol since alcohol is usually expected and served at events like these.

What do you think?
I think they should have waited to get married until they were older.

Oh, wait...you meant about the alcohol, didn't you.... yeah, I don't really care about that. Their reception, their decision. Guests can suck it up or decline the invitation if they have a problem with it.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
I think it's perfectly fine. It's their wedding; let them celebrate it in their own way. I think it's a little sad that people feel they NEED alcohol to have fun/celebrate. This is coming from someone who DOES like to drink socially, so I'm not uptight with these things.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
A friend of mine and her boyfriend got engaged roughly 7 weeks ago and they got married yesterday at the courthouse. But, the "official" wedding will take place next July. However, they're considering not serving alcohol at their wedding reception.

What do you think?

Personally, I applaud them for considering not having alcohol served. I don't drink and I don't like the way people get when under the influence of alcohol.
I applaud them. They are both underage and likely a few of their guests are. Alcohol there would be asking for trouble.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
I think they should have waited to get married until they were older.

Oh, wait...you meant about the alcohol, didn't you.... yeah, I don't really care about that. Their reception, their decision. Guests can suck it up or decline the invitation if they have a problem with it.
I would question how much the "guests" actually care about the couple if they would decline an invitation just because they can't drink for a few hours.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Seriously? You would skip it just because you can't drink?

It's the couple's wedding and their choice. Period. If I go to a wedding/reception, it's because I care about the couple and want to help them celebrate their special day. I don't care what will or will not be served.
I would really have to care about the couple...!I kid...I kid!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
I never understood the thing of serving so much alcohol at events. It's ridiculous. People get pissy drunk and act ridiculously or get in their car and drive home plastered and risk killing an innocent party in an accident.

I think it's great they're not serving alcohol at their reception. I would attend and see no reason why someone wouldn't attend. You're there to celebrate the joining of two people and their families, not to sit around and get wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings