Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:33 PM

869 posts, read 1,489,894 times

Advertisements

I dont agree with the circuses that revolve around weddings these days. And I dont think that people, whether the parents or the couple, should go into debt to pay for a wedding. But weddings are important. Not as important as the marriage obviously but for the melding of families and the symbolic and legal joining of a couple is a very emotional and important affair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,795,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Wow thats a lot of moneys!
My sister's wedding cost almost double that, around $60K, and our father footed the bill upfront - also said I'm "entitled" to the same amount if I ever get married. But he can afford those kind of expenses, and I would never expect a parent to pay more than they can afford (if anything) for a one-day event. Matter of fact I think weddings in general are a waste of money, but do understand why they're so important to some people.

I told my father not to worry about dropping $60K on me, though, since at this point in my life I don't see the need for anything lavish... probably just gonna do a small/casual destination (Lake Tahoe?) event, if I ever decide to take the plunge. He audibly sighed in relief when I said that recently, LOL.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 PM

884 posts, read 1,168,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

We would like to give our daughter a wedding. But a modest wedding, with a three hundred dollar wedding dress, and a normal cake - not a designer cake. At a venue that we can afford, yes I would want to give her that type of wedding.As long as it's in my church with our values. And I am a political progressive by the way. We have values too.
See, and this is actually a big reason why I wouldn't want to accept financial help from my parents. My personal beliefs clash with theirs, and this would absolutely be their viewpoint. (And I see nothing wrong with it, so im not criticizing you, just using this to make my point).
It works out if your children agree with your values but if they don't conflict arises...i have zero desire to marry in a church as I'm not religious but my parents would insist on it if they paid. So the easiest thing for me to do is just pay for it myself

I do agree with your other comments, though!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:56 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,254,922 times
Both my marriages were in Reno the first time, then Vegas the second time. It was cheap, fun, and I appreciated not having to futz with "people", family, and all the other hassles. And, no, I have never regretted not having a traditional wedding, ever.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,683,387 times
I'll pay for the wedding as long as I can financially afford it, and I approve of the young man my daughter wants to marry.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:25 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,795,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Both my marriages were in Reno the first time, then Vegas the second time. It was cheap, fun, and I appreciated not having to futz with "people", family, and all the other hassles. And, no, I have never regretted not having a traditional wedding, ever.
Good to hear, because that's what I want to do if I get married... probably in Lake Tahoe, though.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,346,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I grew up in the south where etiquette is a big part of life (the old south not like hillbilly nation). I actually attended etiquette classes as a child. One of the things that is taught as proper etiquette is that upon the marriage the parents of the bride pay for the wedding and give her away and so on.
I paid for my own wedding, my mother is deceased and my father is a deadbeat.

So my question is do parents still pay for the wedding?
I am paying for my daughters wedding, and I'm in TN. I will be walking her down the aisle because her dad passed away just before her 21st birthday. She graduated college last may and really missed her dad being there as they were so close. Her wedding is in Oct.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,013,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
wow, you are missing the beauty of the ritual and the symbolism in the grace of the male/female roles.
My brother and father walked me down the aisle, but once we got to the end I kissed their cheeks and made them step aside. There was no 'giving' me away. I am not a piece of furniture.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,524,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
My brother and father walked me down the aisle, but once we got to the end I kissed their cheeks and made them step aside. There was no 'giving' me away. I am not a piece of furniture.
Ditto.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:44 PM

737 posts, read 1,145,101 times
Why do all of you think that if it is a big wedding someone went into debt. All people are not poor. Most people that I know, that have gotten married recently, already have their own house and good jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings