Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is a diamond engagment ring (aimed at female respondents)???
Would not marry without a diamond ring 3 21.43%
marry without diamond ring if we both agree it was the best for us, would still want a ring deep down inside 4 28.57%
marry without diamond ring if we both agree it was the best for us, really don't care if there's a ring 5 35.71%
Perfer not to have a ring, even without any discussions 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned. Men and women follow certain behavioral patterns that cannot be denied, and there are exceptions of course. So, when it comes to the ring, should women have input? Isn't it a gift? When there's a divorce women have agreed that no woman should return the ring, at least most, because it is A GIFT. If a woman want's to have input does that means that if her guy surprised her with a ring he thought was pretty and paid more attention to simply deciding to get married with her, would he get dumped?

I don't deny there may be women out there who might spend thousands of dollars on a man THAT IS NOT her husband or long time live-in boyfriend. There are as many men who happily take care of all house hold chores and not letting her wife participate.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-21-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,463 times
When I get engaged, I want a ring. I'm not sure why but I just do...even if it's just a diamond band or something. It doesn't have to be huge. I've heard of women buying a nice watch as an engagement or wedding present for their guys. I think it's a great idea. I doubt most guys would want a ring.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Mod cut: Orphaned. MEN are honored to spend money on women when they are self-confident and understand the role of provider. While not all women deserve or are worthy, many are, and it is, has been, and will be, customary for men to take women out on dates.

Men who allow women to pay their way are not generally respected by women. We will do many things for men to show you guys we love and care for you. These things are not usually monetary, but every now and then can be. I will buy my guy dinner sometimes, but he makes 5 x what I do. It would be ludicrous for him to expect that on a regular basis.

Again, you are not of the generation that was taught these considerations, so we don't expect you to get it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-21-2012 at 03:42 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snd485 View Post
When I get engaged, I want a ring. I'm not sure why but I just do...even if it's just a diamond band or something. It doesn't have to be huge. I've heard of women buying a nice watch as an engagement or wedding present for their guys. I think it's a great idea. I doubt most guys would want a ring.
I remember reading an article somewhere about a woman who shared that she bought her man a fancy brand engagement watch that had "YES" engraved on the underside. When her man proposed and placed the ring, she gave him the watch with her answer right there .

Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:

I am so amazed at the whole "man-gagement" ring thing. Or "man-cessories."
C'mon guys...

Old 03-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned. Of course there are men who are honored to spend all kinds of money on a woman and women are honored to receive it. Nothing shocking about it. There are a few women out there who are honored to spend money on a man. So what? Like I said, each couple does as they like.

Quote:
While not all women deserve or are worthy, many are, and it is, has been, and will be, customary for men to take women out on dates
In the west yes. A man takes you out for dinner, wine, entertainment, etc. and you might thank him at the end of the date. Nothing new about this, I have dated American women as well and will continue to do so whenever I am in the USA. I have no problem about it as I have said many times. I have preferences though, just like you or anybody else.

Quote:
Men who allow women to pay their way are not generally respected by women
That’s right. I have said this all along. Women prefer men to take care of their expenses and other things. I agree with you all the way.

Mod cut: Orphaned.

I get it as I also date American girls .

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-21-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I am so amazed at the whole "man-gagement" ring thing. Or "man-cessories."
C'mon guys...
You want me to accept the whole thing about men splurging on a woman, yet, you don't want to accept a woman splurging on a man?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
You said I think I know it all just because I said a comment about men, well, I applied it to you too. Men and women follow certain behavioral patterns that cannot be denied, and there are exceptions of course. So, when it comes to the ring, should women have input? Isn't it a gift? When there's a divorce women have agreed that no woman should return the ring, at least most, because it is A GIFT. If a woman want's to have input does that means that if her guy surprised her with a ring he thought was pretty and paid more attention to simply deciding to get married with her, would he get dumped?
No I said I dont know whats in others hearts and minds or how they behave. I assume the genders are not of one collective mind. You speak as if you know how all women feel and justify that with corroboration with one or two post while ignoring the many others. I believe the behaviors you harp on were created by society not genetics and as our society has changed those following gender based patterns is now the exception not the norm.

There is no defined answer as to if a woman should have an input into the selection of an engagement ring. As far as it being a gift, many gifts are actually picked out by the recipient.

Ive not heard of anyone getting dump because they didnt get to pick out an engagement ring.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
There have been a couple of polls that popped up in the past about men and engagement rings. The majority voted "no" on that.

Man-gagement Rings - Yay or Nay?

Men: would you want or wear an engagement ring?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I have no desire to ever pick out an engagement ring. I don't really care if it has diamonds on it or not, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings