Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is a diamond engagment ring (aimed at female respondents)???
Would not marry without a diamond ring 3 21.43%
marry without diamond ring if we both agree it was the best for us, would still want a ring deep down inside 4 28.57%
marry without diamond ring if we both agree it was the best for us, really don't care if there's a ring 5 35.71%
Perfer not to have a ring, even without any discussions 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 AM

200 posts, read 565,217 times

Advertisements

I am pretty proud of the fact that my husband picked out my ring without any assistance from me. I told him I would be happy with just a band (no diamond. It is what my parents did. My mom eventually got a diamond for her 25th anniversary). I was very surprised when he proposed with a very pretty diamond.

More than half of my friends pretty much picked out their rings. They either guided their SO towards the ring section when they happened to be at the mall. Or girls will look online and say "Oh, this is pretty" to show their SO. So when people saw my ring and asked if I picked it out, I very proudly tell them my SO did it all on his own .

No offense to the ladies that have picked out their rings. It has become more rare for a man to do it without any input, and I take some presonal pride in that.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not to mention, many times when a man has paid for the engagement ring himself, the woman will buy the wedding rings - which aren't always cheap either.
I bought the engagement ring, we split the rings down the middle, well sort of - hers was a heck of alot more than mine.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I say if the man has the money to buy a big ring and the woman likes big diamonds, then go for it but the average person? I'm happy with whatever because the idea of a man wanting to marry the woman he loves is what's really important. When my husband started to bring up marriage (that's right, it was HIM, not ME), he asked me what type of ring would I like. I told him any shape other than round and that I do prefer marquise. The rest was up to him. My engagement ring is beautiful. It's only about a carat but it's a flawless diamond. He went with quality over the size of the stone. I see women picking out rings (not to give him multiple choice but the actual ring they want) with their guy and to me, it just kind of ruins the whole surprise. Maybe that's just the romantic in me lol
That's kind of similar to my situation. My husband brought up marriage first and asked me about what type of rings I like. I showed him some whenever we happen to see some but I always told him that I also like solitaires and would be happy with one. I also told him that I didn't want anything over a carat - I have small hands and I thought it would look ridiculous on me! He went with a beautiful solitaire and I couldn't be happier! I'm glad I didn't pick mine out - but then again, I'm not really a jewelry person. Maybe if I had been really into jewelry it would have mattered to me more. I have some friends that picked out their own rings - and the rings are precisely their own taste. They are both gorgeous rings and absolutely perfect for them. I'm kind of a simple person she it comes to clothing and jewelry - so a nice, round solitaire is pretty much perfect for me!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My son & his fiance seem to have the best of all worlds. They are poor graduate students who are getting married this summer. He proposed without a ring (and really couldn't afford one). After they announced their engagement her mother gave them her late mother's diamond cocktail ring. They recently went to a jeweler to have the diamonds made into an engagement ring & matching wedding bands. It worked out great as they both had input into the ring design, she had something with sentimental value (the diamonds) yet the rings will be a modern design that they both love.
aww, now that is sweet! I love that!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
I bought the engagement ring, we split the rings down the middle, well sort of - hers was a heck of alot more than mine.
My husband's wedding band was a lot more than mine! And he lost it so we had to buy it twice! It ended up costing almost as much as my engagement ring!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I say if the man has the money to buy a big ring and the woman likes big diamonds, then go for it but the average person? I'm happy with whatever because the idea of a man wanting to marry the woman he loves is what's really important. When my husband started to bring up marriage (that's right, it was HIM, not ME), he asked me what type of ring would I like. I told him any shape other than round and that I do prefer marquise. The rest was up to him. My engagement ring is beautiful. It's only about a carat but it's a flawless diamond. He went with quality over the size of the stone. I see women picking out rings (not to give him multiple choice but the actual ring they want) with their guy and to me, it just kind of ruins the whole surprise. Maybe that's just the romantic in me lol
You've been taken - the best quaity diamond is rated IF - internally flawless. There is no Flawless rating - if you've been told that it was rated that, you've been had.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Who would seriously spend 3 months salary on a ring? I would never expect that!
Gross or net?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My husband's wedding band was a lot more than mine! And he lost it so we had to buy it twice! It ended up costing almost as much as my engagement ring!
Insurance. Although given the increase in commodities, I'm sure my ring has appreciated just being on my finger. LOL.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Insurance. Although given the increase in commodities, I'm sure my ring has appreciated just being on my finger. LOL.
Oh believe me - his ring is insured now! It just wasn't then! Doh!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Is the proposal really that much of a surprise most of the time? My ex and I talked about getting married a lot before he actually proposed. It was a given. We would say things like "when we get married" frequently. Why would you propose to someone without being pretty sure that they too were counting on the future together?
Im wondering the same. Among people I know and true for myself also, the intent to marry and even wedding details are discussed between the couple after a certain point in the relationship. I wasnt aware the hollywood portrayed romance where a guy gets on bended knee and pops the question really existed.

Personally, I dont get the whole engagement thing. It seems a bit outdated.

I would guess that most men dont know crap and dont care about the ring and would prefer input from his SO. I imagine most women would want some input. Should she have it. That would be up to the individual couple.

Last edited by elnina; 03-21-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings