Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM

36,176 posts, read 30,648,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
What if you spent a few hundred dollars on your favorite shoe brand, purse, etc. and he got upset because you don’t spend that money on him?

I guess women do place a lot of importance on the ring and how much a man has to spend on them but not the other way around.
Apples and oranges. Its not about literally spending the money. Its that he would place more value on the car than his future bride. Its not tit for tat.

That engagement ring began as status symbol for the man. It was to claim the woman he wanted and keep other men at bay and obligate the woman to be chaste and faithful to him. It was competetion between men that created the monster. The bigger more expensive ring would show other man that he was a better provider, a better man and could take better care of the woman. Kind of came back and bit you guys on the butt, didnt it.

A better comparison would be if the woman after receiving the ring accepted the advancements of other men. I think most men would put a lot of importance on fidelity and the responsibility of accepting the ring. It is about respecting the value of commitment and placing eachother above all else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM

6,547 posts, read 7,263,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Apples and oranges. Its not about literally spending the money. Its that he would place more value on the car than his future bride. Its not tit for tat.
There is a difference between placing value on his future BRIDE and a piece of metal and a rock.

Quote:
That engagement ring began as status symbol for the man. It was to claim the woman he wanted and keep other men at bay and obligate the woman to be chaste and faithful to him. It was competetion between men that created the monster. The bigger more expensive ring would show other man that he was a better provider, a better man and could take better care of the woman. Kind of came back and bit you guys on the butt, didnt it.
That could be, that could be. I wonder what women would show to demonstrate she was worth it other than just saying “yes” to the man. I have also read that the ring had other origins in feudal times. Where the king would put a ring (no specific value) on his concubines so that if a man wanted to mess around with her but saw the ring, he would instead walk away from trouble knowing that the king “owned her”.

Quote:
It is about respecting the value of commitment and placing each other above all else.
A man can be committed and faithful to his girl without a ring in his hand. A woman needs it to be faithful and committed?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,036,538 times
Quote:
I wonder what women would show to demonstrate she was worth it other than just saying “yes” to the man.
According to the other thread, she just can't age beyond 25 otherwise she's past her prime

Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
According to the other thread, she just can't age beyond 25 otherwise she's past her prime
Men marry women past their primes too. Remember you are married and past your prime too so it shouldn't be an issue. Women being past their prime doesn't mean they won't be loved anymore.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Men marry women past their primes too. Remember you are married and past your prime too so it shouldn't be an issue. Women being past their prime doesn't mean they won't be loved anymore.
Yes but I got married before I hit that dreadful age of 26
I hooked him early while I still had my looks

However, I will say I've had enough male attention to know that "past the prime" at 26 is just the rule for some men.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
There you go. And you still sound happily married regardless of being past your prime. What women are not getting in that other thread is that being past their primes doesn't mean no man will like them. Men get past their prime too we just don't really make a big deal of it and move on. We might make a big deal out of other things of course.

But anyways, back to the ring...

Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,111,084 times
Quote:

However, I will say I've had enough male attention to know that "past the prime" at 26 is just the rule for some men.
Who on earth actually says that to people! Who says - you are past your prime! What a jerk! Sorry - I have him on ignore but that's just too stupid not to say something. And this is from someone who complains about all the beauty products out there for women! You can't criticize women for being vain and then be an a-hole and tell women that they are past their prime at the same time.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Who on earth actually says that to people! Who says - you are past your prime! What a jerk! Sorry - I have him on ignore but that's just too stupid not to say something. And this is from someone who complains about all the beauty products out there for women! You can't criticize women for being vain and then be an a-hole and tell women that they are past their prime at the same time.
“She’s past her prime” came from her, not me. Since I saw her comfortable saying that another woman was past her prime, I carried on.

Seems like you have an issue about this whole thing about women being pass their prime (over 26, with children, etc.). Tell me something, why is it that we don’t see women past their prime in beauty pageants, modeling bikinis, modeling fashion, etc.? Society and or that industry simply doesn’t see women past their primes attractive for those things. Get mad at them, not at the topic.

Is someone complaining about beauty products? Or is someone saying how women spend all kinds of money (or their man’s money) on all these products to try to look young?

You have shared to be in a nice relationship regardless of your age and having children so that is all that should matter, primer or not.

Now, back to the ring subject…

Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,162,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Exactly. By the time people are about to get married, one would think they should have a good idea of each other's finances and preferences, should know if they're compatible, and the ring should be an effortless purchase based on the woman's taste and the man's means, love, and generosity. I'm not really one who cares much about extravagant rings per se. It's the attitude that bothers me - that word "limit" as an example. I don't even care what the number is; I find the word "limit" unacceptable! To me a ring in the 1K-3K range is perfectly OK. Heck, I don't even know what one of the rings I have costs because he bought the diamond separately and I only chose the setting. In fact, giving engagement rings wasn't even done in my culture, but if that's the tradition here, I wouldn't feel appreciated if somebody decides to take the cheapest route, and not because of the ring itself, but because it speaks volumes of his perception of me and the marriage.

i gotta hand it to debeers- their marketing people are great at brain washing the general public

Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You know, the way I see it...opinions are like *******s. Everyone has one and a lot of them stink.

He's never met me so if he considers me "past my prime" it's based on nothing but a number.

It doesn't bother me. Maybe when I was a lot younger I'd go sulk in the corner and wonder why everyone on this planet doesn't love ME, but at this stage of life I could give a rats ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings