Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Are you in New York?

I can't see how anybody could make a profit in NY. Not that kind of profit anyway.

We had probably had an expensive wedding by US standards (not NY), but we saw it as an opportunity to celebrate with our family and friends. We definitely didn't go into it expecting to make a profit. We knew darn well it was going to cost us.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 05-09-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Isn't this sweet: BLAME.
Yes, all women are horrible. You should stay away from them.

im not staying say away but in this case women are to blame
almost no guy wants or cares about planning a wedding
almost any of us would prefer to just get married at city hall to pissing away tons of money on a 1 day event
if it wasnt for women the wedding industry wouldnt exist

Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Exactly. This is why I had a 2 year engagement. That was the only way I could afford to save $30K for the wedding of my dreams...i could have gotten married in 2009 but when I started shopping around for churches and catering halls, the prices were so outrageous that I told my then-husband to be and parents we had to move the wedding date a year later...otherwise it would be City Hall (which would be fine but my dad wanted to walk me down the aisle..lol).

Going into debt for a 1 day event is just dumb.

its dumb, but just barely dumber than ackowledging the prices are outrageous and then paying them anyway

Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
And neither do many women. I wouldn't spend more than $1,000 on a wedding (and didn't on my own). Plenty of women couldn't care less about big weddings.
if by plenty you mean in raw numbers you're right, but percentage wise they almost all do

Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
no, I'm not getting married, likely ever ..but I was wondering what are your opinions of going cheap on a wedding that isn't "shotgun". I've been seeing/hearing about people skimping on making their wedding really nice, just so they can be married already so was wondering what others think.
I think having a meaningful wedding in a backyard is the way to go....in no way would I consider exellent food cheerfully prepared by family and friends as cheap.....you are equating spending lavish amounts of money to something being "really nice"...I disagree...

Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,062,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGirl View Post
I'm sorry, but I just don't think a wedding should be viewed as a grab for money or a way to fund things you need to buy. I think that's a crass way to look at a wedding.
I didn't have a wedding to make money.

That was what we received for gifts. Typically in NY people give cash gifts. We ONLY invited family and a few close friends (my 4 best friends, his 2). We didn't beef up our guest list to make money and honestly didn't expect to receive such generous gifts.

We spent a good amount on our reception and went out of our way to accomodate everyone with their dietary needs and wants (which was much appreciated by our guests).

The fact that we used the money towards purchasing a home was something we received many compliments on. Our families were happy that their gift didn't go towards some kind of frivilous purchase but rather to help us get a headstart as a newly wed couple. This is how it's done in my family and in NY (metro) in general.

However, it still stands to say that we made a good chunk of change off our wedding. If that's crass in your opinion, so be it. We've been just as generous with our gifts when we've attended the weddings of our family members as well.

Importers...when we booked our reception the venue was undergoing renovations. Because of that (and the fact that it was hard to visualize what it would look like completed) we booked for 1/2 off per person.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,407,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think having a meaningful wedding in a backyard is the way to go....in no way would I consider exellent food cheerfully prepared by family and friends as cheap.....you are equating spending lavish amounts of money to something being "really nice"...I disagree...
Did I mention anything about monetary value? I said nice...

expensive weddings can be just as "cheap" so no, that's not what I mean.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,062,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Did I mention anything about monetary value? I said nice...

expensive weddings can be just as "cheap" so no, that's not what I mean.
Oh I've seen that! Hawaiian leis and blow up props and glitter on everything...no thanks!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

Be careful, though - my SIL got a neighbor to "cater" her wedding reception (no, she wasn't a professional caterer, just offered to fix the food). On the wedding day, this neighbor got a severe migraine, had to go to bed, and my poor SIL was stuck with a bunch of food that wasn't prepared/finished. (It was supposed to be Mexican cuisine). We (family members) did our best to try to put it together, and there was food to serve at the small reception, but it didn't turn out the way it was supposed to.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,407,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Oh I've seen that! Hawaiian leis and blow up props and glitter on everything...no thanks!
haha oh my! sounds like a sweet 16 bday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings