Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM

460 posts, read 670,686 times

Advertisements

My ring is more modest than 90% of my friends. It's interesting because my husband makes more money NOW than any of the other guys. However, we got married years before any of my other girlfriends even got engaged so we had limited funds being right out of college. I don't mind though. It's still a nice ring and he got me exactly what I wanted at the time. It was bought for me out of love and he gave the most he had to that ring at the time. Interestingly, he's the one who regrets not having more money to spend. He's always talking about wanting to get me a bigger diamond. I've never even mentioned it to him so I don't know where he gets it. I think it's come around after his sister got engaged and got a huge rock from her relatively poor fiance. lol....

As for Walmart, after watching The High Cost of Low Prices, I will never support that store for shampoo nevermind a diamond. Take it back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,476,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Your wife showed you the ring and you got it for her. The ring happened to be at Walmart. Obviously - you loved her and wanted to make her happy. Now - if she showed you the ring she wanted at Walmart, and you had the money for it, but instead of getting it for her - you went to a pawn shop or a thrift store and got her something that she didn't pick out that was 1/4 of the cost - would that have been showing your love for her? That's what I'm trying to point out. The ring is supposed to be an expression of love. You loved your wife - you went out and bought her the ring that she chose. That was an expression of love.

This is true I would of got anything she asked for at the time. Still there are those who believe the bigger the rock the more he loves his wife to be. I think that's a crock then again that's my opinion alone. Again maybe it's me getting older I think it's the symbol & not the price/size of the ring.
Someone said it shows that that the guy is stable & financially stable. Yet if you have been with said person for a given period time, enough to considering marrying them then you should already know how stable they are. So why does the price of the ring matter?

Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
No ring at all works too and is even cheaper!
No marriage at all works too and is even cheaper!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 AM

50,144 posts, read 46,793,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Not accepting a token of ones love for you because it's from wal-mart or because it's cheaper than what you were expecting is tacky, shallow and downright horrible. the only reason one shouldn't be acceptted, period is because you do not love the person.

Read up people, it might be a way of weeding out the gold diggers.
Yep, a woman that won't marry you unless she gets to see the receipt will leave you, divorce you and sue you for alimony until you or her are dead. RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM

6,547 posts, read 7,264,567 times
If a man gave you a big expensive ring you could show off and compare to your girlfriends would you mind having a honeymoon an hour or two away from town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Someone said it shows that that the guy is stable & financially stable. Yet if you have been with said person for a given period time, enough to considering marrying them then you should already know how stable they are. So why does the price of the ring matter?
I was going to ask the same thing. After going out that long to know that they want to get married, I am sure women already know his salary, what car he drives, what house he’s buying, etc. Shouldn’t that show women that a man is stable?

Imagine if men stopped all plans to get married and dumped their girl because they noticed later on that she doesn’t cook well enough. I thought there were more important things out there to consider getting married than a piece of metal on a finger just to show off to the girlfriends. A man can spend millions on a woman and it still doesn’t mean he is deeply in love and devoted to her. Do women base their value on a piece of metal they can buy themselves?

Old 05-17-2012, 01:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,112,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
This is true I would of got anything she asked for at the time. Still there are those who believe the bigger the rock the more he loves his wife to be. I think that's a crock then again that's my opinion alone. Again maybe it's me getting older I think it's the symbol & not the price/size of the ring.
The price of the ring doesn't matter but the thought behind it does. As another poster said - what would a man be saying by proposing to his girlfriend with a cheap ring if he's loaded? I understand if it is a family ring or something that they picked out together - but what if he can't be bothered by giving her something nice when he proposes his love for her - what does that say? To me that says that he doesn't really care. Likewise, a woman who turns a guy down because the ring is too small and such doesn't really care either.

All this talk is just talk anyway. These threads are really made to try to trap women into admitting that they are shallow gold diggers when they really aren't. I've never had one of my friends complain about their ring and I've never heard of a guy buying some crappy ring for his girlfriend to prove a point.

I had no idea how much my own ring was until my husband told me. And he told me so that I would be really careful with it. Plus - I had to know how much it was so that I could get it insured. And for the record - my husband was so proud of himself for picking out and buying my ring.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,288,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
No marriage at all works too and is even cheaper!
Agreed. My point exactly

Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,916,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post

Imagine if men stopped all plans to get married and dumped their girl because they noticed later on that she doesn’t cook well enough.
I'm sure it's happened. (shrug) And I'm sure marriages have been called off by the groom-to-be because his fiance lost her job, or didn't seem like she was going to go for a better paying job eventually; or because she gained weight...or because they moved in together and he saw she wasn't going to be his maid...and so on. I'm sure one of everything has happened and will happen again.

If something like that were truly to happen, it would be an obvious decision: don't "fix" what your ex-fiance wanted of you, move on and find someone who loves you.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:00 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,916,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post

All this talk is just talk anyway. These threads are really made to try to trap women into admitting that they are shallow gold diggers when they really aren't.
^ This. And you know what? Even after we explain that we aren't, in detail, the verdict is still, for some, "Well, most women are gold-diggers...I'm sure of it...somehow." So there ya have it. Some people want to believe what they want to believe, so they can keep on blaming the opposite sex for their own relationship failures.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,477,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
So it's not about the love then
It's about your budget.

If WalMart is all you can afford then your woman knows that and accepts it.

If she doesn't, then she's not the woman for you.

Now, if you CAN afford better quality but you are just cheap, then you might not be the man for her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings