U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 AM

14,097 posts, read 13,558,162 times
The only thing that went wrong with our wedding was the weather. It was unusually cold that night for south Louisiana in February. It actually got down close to the upper 30s that night. You can't plan the weather but you should be ready if you're planning an outdoor wedding/reception. Our wedding was in a church and our reception was at a B&B with a lovely outdoor patio area. Most everyone stayed indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 07:26 PM

3,620 posts, read 2,811,174 times
Wedding Horror Stories

1. Got to the rehersal only to find the bride and groom in the reception hall, having a knock down, drag
out fight. The voices were so loud, everyone could hear everything. When the minister arrived, he
intervened. After about 45 minutes, he came back to the sanctuary and told everyone that the
wedding would not take place. The mother of the groom got angry and cursed the minister about
all of the expense that had been incurred and that "there d---ed sure better be a wedding." At this
point the minister explained that if there was a wedding he would not be officiating it and since the
bride had already left the building. Turned out the groom really didn't want to get married at all.

2. Went to one of my husband's fraternity brothers weddings at a small, very remote country church.
First, the bride was almost two hours late for her own wedding and the only people concerned were
the friends and family of the groom. Second, a group of people, who greatly resembled the Hell's
Angels, came for the bride's side and refused to sit in the actual church instead choosing to sit in a
ajacent sunday school room. Then there was the bridesmaid that had on a beautiful backless dress
that enhanced all the snake and satanic tatoos on her back.

3. At yet another wedding the mother of the bride was the "bridzilla". The groom was a young man
close to our family and there were plenty of reservations about this marriage on every side. The
bride was pregnant and the groom was trying to do the right thing. The mother of the bride definitely
thought her daughter was "marrying down". Thirty minutes before the wedding was to begin, the
brides mother was screaming in the reception hall "this wedding is not going to happen, I am just
not going to let this wedding happen." Everyone could hear her. It was embarassing. The wedding
did take place, but the marriage didn't last.

All this being said, I have attending many beautiful weddings with wonderfully happy endings.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:53 PM

4,404 posts, read 4,790,648 times
During their wedding reception, my uncle (he is about 20 years younger than my mom so only about 15 years older than I am) disappeared. My new Aunt was FURIOUS. The whole family was almost expecting a divorce (the new aunt was mad, LOL) when we discovered he had driven himself home to take a nap. Never was sure whether it was the disappearing, the nap at home, or the fact the he drove himself that made her the angriest. And to my knowledge no one ever asked as we were all too afraid of being the final straw.

They are still married, and it has been close to 20 years.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:21 PM

5,408 posts, read 3,134,177 times
I once attended a wedding in a beautiful Greek Orthodox Cathedral. There were about 150 people all dressed up and ready for a great wedding but the wedding wasn't starting on time. About 45 minutes later in comes the bride about 6 months pregnant. That wasn't the big problem.

The bride had on a white maternity top and brown casual pants and very scuffed up brown loafers. Her outfit wouldn't have been acceptable at most work places let alone a wedding (even as a guest). No one could figure out why she was wearing that outfit instead of a wedding dress.

During the dinner we heard a rumor about the reason but we're still not sure if that was the real reason.

The rumor was that the Priest knew that the bride was pregnant and had reluctantly accepted that fact but when the bride showed up (late) for the wedding in a PURE WHITE maternity (really showing off her belly) wedding dress with a long train and veil he refused to marry them unless she changed. The Priest said that the bride was being disrespectful to God by wearing Virgin White and emphasizing her pregnancy. Since she was already late and didn't have any other clothes with her except that outfit so that is what she wore.

This seemed pretty hard to believe but the bride was only 18 so perhaps she didn't realize how offensive a dress like that might seem to people in a conservative congregation. Or maybe they made up the wedding dress story because the bride had really planned to get married in that tacky outfit and that was even worse. BTW they got a divorce about a year later.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-01-2012 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 PM

5,408 posts, read 3,134,177 times
The grandson of a friend had a HUGE wedding. I'm told that there were 600 guests and it took two years to plan the wedding.

One week after the wedding the groom moved back home to his parents house. He said that his bride told him, on their honeymoon, that she had doubts for about six months but her family would have lost all of the deposits and everyone would have been disappointed so she didn't say anything. She said that she didn't love him anymore and wanted a divorce. The bride & her family told the groom & his family to keep it quiet for six months so that they wouldn't have to return the gifts. Of course, people found out pretty quickly and boy was everyone mad!

BTW, the bride and her family didn't return any gifts or money given to them. They said they used it to pay for the wedding.

Now, that is a horror story!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,225,520 times
Old thread bump...

We were married in 2011. My mother and I have a "rough" relationship, made worse by her increase in drinking over the past few years, but I still asked her to walk me down the aisle. I really thought she'd behave. Wishful thinking I guess, but I didn't realize just how much her drinking had taken over her daily life.

This was my second marriage, the first time I did the courthouse thing, and in this case, because I was marrying another woman, we had to wait a long time (8 years, in fact) to be able to afford to travel to have a legal wedding.. we were really hoping for a happy, drama free day. Everything was DIY and it took tremendous effort and saving up to make it happen. We traveled from Texas to Iowa and were there for a week, with the wedding taking place on the Saturday at the end of that week. I won't even get into all the BS my mother pulled in the preceding week as this will turn into a novel.

Basically, she was drinking all morning while we were getting ready to go to the church, and she actually (unbeknownst to me) snuck wine in to the church so she was pretty sauced but I didn't realize it, having a million things to do that morning.

Because she had been pretty much no help to me the night before (despite promising to help out), I'd been rather overwhelmed and as a result, forgot her corsage but didn't realize it until I was getting dressed in the church basement and everyone was already arriving and being seated. It was totally innocent, but there was no time to fix it. My mother had come down to the basement (my SIL was helping me dress) and when I told her about forgetting the corsage, she stormed out and said something about how she didn't know why she was even there AT ALL.

Just as the music has started for me to come down the aisle, my SIL comes to inform me that my mother has said she will not be walking me down the aisle and if she had a car she'd have left already. Yeah, great timing, thanks mom!

So, I walked the aisle alone. When it came to the point in the ceremony where the officiant asks "who gives their blessing to this woman and to this marriage" (an alternative to the "giving away" tradition), she was supposed to speak up and say "I do". Instead she was pouting in the very back pew, so my SIL quickly stood and said "Her family does". I'm forever grateful for my SIL's quick action.

She pouted for all but two of the group photos, when the photographer finally coaxed her to be included. At the dinner reception she complained loudly because my wife's steak was "larger" than hers. We used drink tickets for alcohol (so everyone could have some wine but no one would be overdoing it), she tried to get everyone to give her theirs since she didn't feel like she'd gotten "enough". She signed the guestbook "No one" and as we were leaving the restaurant she stumbled in her super high heels and accused our DD (then 8 years old) of "tripping her" on purpose.

Later that night, we returned to the vacation home we'd rented for the week, and from the beginning my wife and I had taken the largest bedroom, primarily because we had so much stuff to keep track of (everyone's wedding attire, decorations, etc). She let me know she thought it was "beyond rude" of us to take the "best" room, wedding night or not. Ignoring the fact that this was a three story house with multiple bedrooms plus an open loft sleeping area, and that we'd paid for it entirely ourselves so that everyone could stay without worrying about hotel costs. She commented that it wasn't like we hadn't "done that before" (!?) -- nevermind the fact that we spent our wedding night driving our photographer/friend to the airport 3 hours away so she could get back to work on time and we returned absolutely exhausted from the six hour round trip.

When packing up the next day for everyone to catch trains/planes back to Texas, my son asked if we were taking the top of the wedding cake with us back to Texas to have on our anniversary, and my mother told him "Oh no, you freeze the top and then throw it away after the divorce!"

And yeah, she later professed absolute shock when I told her I felt like she'd done her damndest to ruin the wedding. It's okay though, if that was her intention, she failed, but being totally honest, if we had to do it all over again I would have not invited her, mother or not.

Last edited by Sally_Sparrow; 05-08-2013 at 02:38 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Status: "I'm hungry let's get a taco. I'll just take Taco Man" (set 27 days ago)

8,133 posts, read 3,078,612 times
mod cut
I haven't seen a lot of horror stories but a few things at my brother and sister in law's wedding sticks out. My brother and SIL are late to everything and it drives my family nuts. Their wedding was scheduled at 3pm but at 3pm the bride still hadn't arrived at the church. 4pm arrives and they are STILL not there. The minister started yelling, and got my SIL on the phone and said if the wedding didn't start within 15 minutes he was cancelling because he has a service at 5:30 or 6pm that night. Long story short they arrived and started the wedding. This caused all of us in the party being late to the reception (it started at 6pm we didn't get there until close to 6:30). Oh and her brother never arrived at the wedding either, but arrived after the wedding in jeans and got in the receiving line like that. Seems he overslept. They are still married but still late to everything.

A childhood friend got married and one of the groomsmen passed out during the ceremony. It wasn't that hot out (end of May)so why he passed out who knows. This was a wedding that had been cancelled a couple of times before the wedding took place. My childhood friend separated from her husband by the end of the summer and was divorced about a year later. She has since remarried at least 4 times I know of (and I lost touch but has been said she has been married a few times after this).

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-13-2013 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 PM

19,134 posts, read 13,903,809 times
I don't go to many weddings, but the last one I went to (where I was a bridesmaid) was on a public beach and a surfer and his dog walked right through the wedding during the ceremony. There was also a group of teenagers cussing and running around playing frisbee less than 50 feet away.

They picked a VERY poor location.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 PM

12,299 posts, read 6,544,666 times
One of my best friends had arranged to have a christian version of the song "Beauty and the Beast" played during her ceremony. The words were completely changed in the version of the song she picked that were all pretty and romantic. Well, whoever the person was who was playing all the music for the ceremony got it mixed up and put on the original "Beauty and the Beast" version of the song on, so as the bride and the groom were standing at the alter that song played and people started snickering and my best friend started crying. My ex husband turned to my mother and said, "Which one is the beauty and which one is the beast?" lol awful.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:28 PM

378 posts, read 177,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
What year was this? Non Catholics have married Catholics in church for many years. They never had to convert. At one time they had to agree to raise their children Catholic but that was about it.

I have a relative that married a non Catholic about 65 years ago. They were still married in church, just without all of the frillls and it was at a side altar.

Are you sure this was a real Catholic church? Not SSPX or something?
No kidding! Hubby and I were married 35 years ago - and the priest asked me if hubby was Catholic. I said no. He then told me, "Well, don't EVER try to convert him." After realizing that my mouth had dropped, he went on to say that if hubby wished to become Catholic, that was one thing, but I shouldn't badger him and push him, etc. Even if their priest were "conservative," or whatever, the Catholic Church DOES NOT interfere with a Catholic marrying a non-Catholic. It is not a rule that a priest can only marry two Catholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings