Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times

Advertisements

Well, if nothing else it is an older tradition...that is something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 01:14 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
I continued to wear my engagement ring on my left hand and during the ceremony the wedding band went on top. It seemed odd to me to wear my engagement ring on my left hand every other day for the rest of my life except my actual wedding day.
That is how I thought it always was. Why wouldn't someone wear their engagement ring during the wedding ceremony? The engagement ring symbolizes your initial commitment to get married and spend the rest of your lives together. It seems odd that someone would want to take it off during the wedding. Switching fingers just also seems weird. My mom wears her wedding band on top of her engagement ring, so I guess I just never thought of their being different ways to wear them.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
The wedding band should be worn in the position closest to your heart. The engagement ring on top of the wedding ring. Your engagement ring should be on another finger or on a chain around your neck during the ceremony and placed above the wedding ring afterward. My grandfather was a minister, my grandmother (his wife) often had the job of getting the bride and attendants down the isle. This is what she told all of her brides, including me.

Many years ago, in the years of the depression and before, only the wealthy had engagement rings. Even then most were not diamonds but emeralds and sapphires. ( Jackie Kennedy had an emerald engagement ring.) So placement of the engagement ring was not a concern for most brides in the early part of the 1900's.

Hope your wedding and life is a happy one. Best Wishes!

Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
There's no way my engagement ring would fit on my right hand -- so I put it on a chain around my neck. In a week -- it was off entirely. The fashion at the time was very wide bands and my e-ring just didn't work.

After 29 years, I don't even wear the same band -- wide bands really bother me and it's so big it flies off anyway. I'm wearing a plain flat 2.5mm pipe cut band. Hubs developed rheumatic arthritis and his joints are swelling -- his ring is off.

I know other people don't feel the same way, but they're just rings. It's far more important that he does the dishes and brings me my coffee with the right amount of milk in it every morning, just like I cook him dinner every night and get him his second cup of coffee as I get mine.

But I love being married to the big lug....

Old 07-09-2012, 04:15 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
There's no way my engagement ring would fit on my right hand -- so I put it on a chain around my neck. In a week -- it was off entirely. The fashion at the time was very wide bands and my e-ring just didn't work.

After 29 years, I don't even wear the same band -- wide bands really bother me and it's so big it flies off anyway. I'm wearing a plain flat 2.5mm pipe cut band. Hubs developed rheumatic arthritis and his joints are swelling -- his ring is off.

I know other people don't feel the same way, but they're just rings. It's far more important that he does the dishes and brings me my coffee with the right amount of milk in it every morning, just like I cook him dinner every night and get him his second cup of coffee as I get mine.

But I love being married to the big lug....
I thought I felt that way...until I lost my wedding band the night of the wedding (didn't have an engagement ring). We were back at our house and it fell off my finger, and I freaked out...crying and going on and on that I was a terrible wife and couldn't even make it 24 hours without losing my ring. To my husband's credit, he kept his composure and didn't agree with me. LOL I found it and now we laugh about it.

Of course, it happened again last winter. My finger shrunk, ring fell off and I've never seen it again. I like the band I wear now, but it's just not the same as the one he gave me.

As for during the ceremony, it wasn't a concern because I didn't have an engagement ring. If I had, I would have kept in on my left hand with the wedding band on top and switched it later. Our wedding was very low key, though. The only guests were our parents, who are all still married to original spouses. LOL

Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM

I know I am going to care about the rings. We picked them together. We plan to have them at the ceremony, and it also matters to us that the rings are there because it is a religious ceremony, so God will also be a part of it. I am not superstitious, nor do I believe that gives the rings special "powers" but it does mean that I would rather not lose them.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I know I am going to care about the rings. We picked them together. We plan to have them at the ceremony, and it also matters to us that the rings are there because it is a religious ceremony, so God will also be a part of it. I am not superstitious, nor do I believe that gives the rings special "powers" but it does mean that I would rather not lose them.
I get it -- I care about my rings... and yes -- when my house was robbed losing my wedding ring really upset me, because I lost the one that was blessed. We made another one using my husband's ring.

Funny thing. Eight years later, we went to a pawn shop near our house on our wedding anniversary. Found and bought my original band. So now we have three. I'm thinking since the hubs can't wear his anymore, I'd almost like to have a cuff bracelet made out of all three, put end to end. They are ornate carved bands, about 8MM wide.

And -- today makes 29 years married.... 33 years together.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 PM

That sounds really cool. And I am so glad you got the ring back...meant to be.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Of course, it happened again last winter. My finger shrunk, ring fell off and I've never seen it again. I like the band I wear now, but it's just not the same as the one he gave me.
I always wonder why more people don't feel that way. I know a few people who get new "engagment rings" on their anniversaries. I never understand why they so desperatly want new ones, doesn't the actual engagment ring hold sentimental value, the one where your husband announced that he wanted to spend forever with you? Why get a new one that basically has no meaning? Just to show everyone that you now make more money then when he first proposed, or from when he last upgraded the ring?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 PM

I don't get it either. We spent money now for a ring that is not huge (3/4 carat solitaire) but pretty. I have no intention of ever trading either the engagement or wedding ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings