Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:31 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I thought the same thing about the card, that's why I didn't suggest it, LOL. Also, what "mightyqueen" said is good if you do end up going with the card option. didn't think of the lottery tickets.
At the time when I was invited I thought I would be working by now which was back in March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I thought the same thing about the card, that's why I didn't suggest it, LOL. Also, what "mightyqueen" said is good if you do end up going with the card option. didn't think of the lottery tickets.
The only risk with that is if he gives them lottery tickets and they win big bucks--that would **** me off no end! Especially since he isn't working himself. Maybe they would share.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I was invited to a engagement party for the first time ever in my life and I have never heard of anything like this.

So am I supposed to bring a gift? On the invitation it says BYOB but I;m not sure about if I;m supposed to bring anything. I just don't want to show up looking foolish. I'm still thinking about cancelling but figured I would try and get more information about it. It's a BBQ honoring the couple and I had to call so I could make my resservation
Show up with 5 gallons of homemade vanilla ice cream. No one will care.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:52 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Engagement parties used to be regular parties where people suprised their friends with the happy news ... or the proposal itself. No gifts required because it was a surprise. Now they are pretty much a coed wedding shower. Some couples are gift-grubbers and have tons of parties.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:52 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
Show up with 5 gallons of homemade vanilla ice cream. No one will care.
They will if you forgot the Hershey syrup!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Engagement parties used to be regular parties where people suprised their friends with the happy news ... or the proposal itself. No gifts required because it was a surprise. Now they are pretty much a coed wedding shower. Some couples are gift-grubbers and have tons of parties.

I agree and I swear most of them that have all these events like that are this way. Which is why I said pick one give em a gift and forget about taking their as*es a gift per event.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
It is customary to bring a gift. I think it's ridiculous...so much money spent for a couple getting married. An engagement party, bridal shower, bachelor/ette parties, then the wedding itself.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 PM

884 posts, read 1,405,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
They will if you forgot the Hershey syrup!
And the whip cream. You can have lots of fun with that.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I totally disagree that it's customary to bring a gift to an engagement party. I'm sure that's true in some circles of course, but I highly doubt everyone who attends will bring a gift, and I think it would be terrible of you to miss an event because you can't afford some perceived cost of entry. Just bring a card and a 6-pack to share and have a nice time!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:33 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I totally disagree that it's customary to bring a gift to an engagement party. I'm sure that's true in some circles of course, but I highly doubt everyone who attends will bring a gift, and I think it would be terrible of you to miss an event because you can't afford some perceived cost of entry. Just bring a card and a 6-pack to share and have a nice time!
I agree.
I've never been invited to an engagement party, but if I was it wouldn't occur to me to bring a present along with me. I really doubt that everyone would bring a gift.

If they are your friends they understand your financial situation. Bring a card, a six pack and have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings