Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:07 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times

Advertisements

Is it a dream you've had since you were a little girl? Is it your second wedding and you want it to be the complete opposite of your first? Are you just going to elope?

I had a small church wedding back in 1995...to my ex-husband. I did not wear a wedding gown, and he did not wear a suit. I wore a nice ivory suit and he wore slacks and a dress shirt.

I went to my bfs brothers wedding and they were married on a beach. It was pretty enough, but not well orchestrated, IMO. You could not hear anything they were saying, just figured in the end, they both said, "I do."

The day before the wedding they had a cook out and the 2 families separated. The same thing happened after the wedding and it was a very uneasy feeling.

There are a few places I could see myself getting married and they are all outside. I also wouldn't mind going away, just the 2 of us..... I think both of our families want to see us be married.

His family talks about it. My family talks about it. We talk about it. We are not engaged. With that said, I have time to think on it. When I ask him he says anywhere.

So, how about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
I've only had two ideas. I honestly never thought I'd ever get married (and still don't, really) so they're just little thoughts and not much more at this point

1) Justice of the Peace, sign papers, done. Maybe have a nice little get together for our family/friends afterwards.

2)Surprise wedding! Invite everyone together for an 'engagement party' and then have a small ceremony right there. Surprise everyone and then have the reception right afterwards, since everyone will already be there. Very casual, spontaneous and since I don't want a ceremony or wedding at all, really, it would be a nice compromise.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've only had two ideas. I honestly never thought I'd ever get married (and still don't, really) so they're just little thoughts and not much more at this point

1) Justice of the Peace, sign papers, done. Maybe have a nice little get together for our family/friends afterwards.

2)Surprise wedding! Invite everyone together for an 'engagement party' and then have a small ceremony right there. Surprise everyone and then have the reception right afterwards, since everyone will already be there. Very casual, spontaneous and since I don't want a ceremony or wedding at all, really, it would be a nice compromise.
I'm sure I'll get married, and I would love to just go on a cruise the two of us and get married. If family wants to come, they can come.

With that said, my family is sooo happy for me, and I think his is for him as well. I think a wedding in front of family and friends would be for them, and not us/me.

I'd rather invest the money or have a nice ring..... I think I will anyway, but seriously, I can't see spending all kinds of money on a wedding. I really can't. Maybe go away and have some sort of reception for family at a later date.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:19 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
I never "dreamed" of getting married or having a wedding. When I met my husband, it was just a matter of progression. I initially didn't want to have a ceremony and reception, but my husband convinced me otherwise (surprising, considering he was married previously and had a decent size reception back then.)

We started out wanting something casual in our backyard (a clambake), but based on the number of guests we were inviting (mainly family), it was getting costly AND we feared the weather. We started looking at home rentals in the Hamptons and eventually a local mansion in which I rowed out of the boat house. The rep for the caterer suggested another location they had available. It was another mansion on the other shore, but I had history there as well. It was big with multiple rooms, had a beautiful view and gorgeous ballroom and they gave us the right price per head. I was sold on the location & facility, my husband was sold on the numbers.

Everything else just fell into place once we booked the venue.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM

I have considered this place for an outdoor wedding. Nothing big, family and friends... (close) That could be hard though, because I have a huge family, and if I invited just brothers and sisters and family and not the aunts and uncles, then they would be mad. then if I added them and not the cousins they would be mad. So on and so fourth. My family is huge.

For my first wedding, it was brothers and sisters and their families only. I have no idea. He said anything I want. It would be my day.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:34 PM

The pics didn't load before...sorry. I have seen pics of a wedding here and the little building held the bar. It is a very pretty area. I took these pics and many others last month.

GRR My pics aren't uploading!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
The pics didn't load before...sorry. I have seen pics of a wedding here and the little building held the bar. It is a very pretty area. I took these pics and many others last month.

GRR My pics aren't uploading!

Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
I'm sure I'll get married, and I would love to just go on a cruise the two of us and get married. If family wants to come, they can come.

With that said, my family is sooo happy for me, and I think his is for him as well. I think a wedding in front of family and friends would be for them, and not us/me.

I'd rather invest the money or have a nice ring..... I think I will anyway, but seriously, I can't see spending all kinds of money on a wedding. I really can't. Maybe go away and have some sort of reception for family at a later date.
I'm not super close to a lot of my family, and honestly most of them probably wouldn't bother showing up to my wedding. I'd rather not sit around listening to them all telling me how 'they are sooo surprised I'm getting married!' I had enough of that when I finally got around to my first boyfriend in college.

Regardless, a cruise sounds fun! And they're surprisingly cost effecting... me and my Mom were looking into a cruise for next summer and we found a 5 night 6 day bahamas trip for $700 a piece all inclusive..wasn't bad at all!

I agree with investing the money, but I don't wear jewelry so if I do get married, no engagement ring and just a small simple band for me. A reception later on sounds like a good idea, not everyone needs to witness the actual ceremony, but people love to party!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 AM

I think it is actually a good idea too. I was looking up on it, and people can actually see your wedding but not have to be taking the cruise. There is time constraint though, and I can't imagine traveling hours and hours for a 20 minute ordeal.

My family loves to party for sure.

I actually think that this time around, I will have a nicer ring.....

Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
Quote:
I have considered this place for an outdoor wedding. Nothing big, family and friends... (close) That could be hard though, because I have a huge family, and if I invited just brothers and sisters and family and not the aunts and uncles, then they would be mad. then if I added them and not the cousins they would be mad. So on and so fourth. My family is huge.

For my first wedding, it was brothers and sisters and their families only. I have no idea. He said anything I want. It would be my day.

Do they allow weddings? Location fee/permit fee? What about weather? Would you rent a tent? Do they have bathroom facilites? Catering?

My husband comes from a large family as well (both his parents are 1 of 7) and due to family politics we had to at least invite all the aunts & uncles. We only invited cousins we were actively talking to. All in all, I think we invited 150 and had 135 the day of...which is why we nixed the backyard wedding. My fear was a hurricane! LOL And we came pretty darn close. We had a hurricane downgraded to a tropical storm the night before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings