Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:08 PM

999 posts, read 2,350,757 times

Advertisements

There is a wedding forum..... bad enough there is a forum for people to be lazy and not research the area they want to move to.... but a wedding forum?!? why ? so you can get someone else's idea of bad or what they think is good.... you could be talking with a alligator....

The dj is behind the speakers, and directing the music away from them so they may not see the issues you have, im sure if you ask them they would lower it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 PM

999 posts, read 2,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
I hate that! What's the point of being there if people can't talk with each other.....

Keeping stupid conversations and fights from happening with the drinking and no one can hear you making it perfect

Old 08-06-2012, 07:54 PM

50 posts, read 101,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I know im older than dirt but why is it that every wedding today seems to have DJs that have to crank the volume up to earsplitting levels.

Was at a wedding last night and you couldnt hear yourself breath. The glasses on the table were rattling from the noise. My head was pounding and my ears were ringing by the end. I wasnt the only one who was complaining.

Is it that the DJs are so deaf themselves now that they dont realize or do the 20 somethings think everyone wants the club version of music blasting you out of your seat.

And they didnt even play the hokey pokey...damn
I remember going to a Long Island wedding back in the early 90's when I was about 20 years old. My table was right next to the band.
Later on that day my ear was actually hurting and I don't think my hearing in that ear has been the same ever since.

The most recent wedding I went to was last year and the music was so loud it was awful.
It gets frustrating when you literally have to yell into the ear of the person sitting next to you in order for them to hear you. The only relief was when they turned down the volume when dinner was served.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,592,688 times
A couple of months ago I attended a family wedding. The food was amazing, the hall very pretty, the DJ annoyingly loud. We were seated up front at the family table and the DJ was at the other end of the room. I had to yell to be heard by the person seated next to me. The father of the bride requested the DJ turn the music down. He complied. The bride asked him to turn it up. He complied.

I had a raspy voice for several days and couldn't talk on the phone -- no one could understand me.

I've been to metal concerts which weren't as loud.

The thing I will remember most about this wedding years from now -- the excessively loud DJ.

I have another wedding to go to on Friday and we are not at the family table. I am bringing my ear plugs with me and a blank check for the gift. If I use the ear plugs, the gift will decrease and I don't give a hoot as I will need it for the copay when I get my throat and ears checked. You are hosting a party, not deafening your guests or damaging their vocal chords.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,970,060 times
First of all, d'jays are mostly guido idiots who eat too much red sauce, so what do you expect?

You should definitely consider witholding a gift or leaving early if the bride is stupid enough to keep asking the DJ to crank it when everyone around her is holding their ears.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
First of all, d'jays are mostly guido idiots who eat too much red sauce, so what do you expect?

You should definitely consider witholding a gift or leaving early if the bride is stupid enough to keep asking the DJ to crank it when everyone around her is holding their ears.
I am going to sound old, but I really miss live music at receptions. This KISS FM stuff is a little too raunchy to be playing around the grandmas and elderly family members. Last I checked, a wedding celebration was a family affair.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:58 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,720,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I am going to sound old, but I really miss live music at receptions. This KISS FM stuff is a little too raunchy to be playing around the grandmas and elderly family members. Last I checked, a wedding celebration was a family affair.
FWIW, hiring a DJ is typically a lot cheaper than a band.

That doesn't excuse the loud music, but it's part of the reason many people go with a DJ.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,979,780 times
Just ask them to turn it down. What's so complicated? Like musician's, DJ's are often set up BEHIND the speakers so they don't hear it as loud as the guests. They also have headphones on to cue up the next track. It's difficult to sound check the volume with an empty room and all rooms are different acoustically. A pro will walk around to hear how it sounds, make sure it's not too loud, too low, too distorted, etc.

If it's too loud, ask them to turn it down. Wow, what a concept! Maybe the bride is a party animal and wants it loud. In that case, you're SOL. The guy is just doing his job and yes, you're too old.

The real problem isn't the volume. It's that DJ's use that same generic dance backbeat for 2 straight hours with mixes of every song over it so it's just one looooonnnnnnnggggggggggg redundant dance track.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,307,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I know im older than dirt but why is it that every wedding today seems to have DJs that have to crank the volume up to earsplitting levels.

Was at a wedding last night and you couldnt hear yourself breath. The glasses on the table were rattling from the noise. My head was pounding and my ears were ringing by the end. I wasnt the only one who was complaining.

Is it that the DJs are so deaf themselves now that they dont realize or do the 20 somethings think everyone wants the club version of music blasting you out of your seat.

And they didnt even play the hokey pokey...damn
That's the fault of the bride and groom. At our wedding we made it clear what we wanted and aside from Manilow's Copacabana being played at a guests request to the DJ (#1 on our Do NOT Play list) we only had to remind them of the volume once or twice. As we went from table to table to talk with our guests we asked about the volume and everyone seemed grateful that they could talk among themselves.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Just ask them to turn it down. What's so complicated? Like musician's, DJ's are often set up BEHIND the speakers so they don't hear it as loud as the guests. They also have headphones on to cue up the next track. It's difficult to sound check the volume with an empty room and they can't be in two places at once. If it's too loud, ask them to turn it down. Wow, what a concept!

Been there, done that. People told the man paying the DJ --The Father of the Bride -- who in turn ASKED the DJ to turn it down. The DJ complied. The bride asked the DJ to turn it up. The DJ complied.

Following the instructions of the person who is paying you. Wow, what a concept!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings