Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it and it helps us to know how to handle this. I just had doubts because when I told my sister about it, I hadn't mentioned yet that it was only going to be parents, grandparents, and sibs, and she was like, "Oh, okay, so whoever can come down there at that time will be there?" and I didn't really know how to handle it without hurting her feelings. I mean, of course she and her family would be welcome if they did make the trip, but I want it to be clear to everyone that we didn't specifically invite her over them or pay her travel expenses, KWIM?
You should save your sister the embarassment and just explain what you stated here. "They would like to just have parents, their (bride and groom's) siblings, and grandparents, all in the spirit of keeping it simple, and then have a very low key reception back here later, something like a cookout, where they would invite the family and friends that didn't attend the wedding".
That is a very long drive and lots of hassle to find out you were invited by default. Just explain about the get together at a later date...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
My siblings and I all were married in other cities and then had a large reception back in our parent's home town for all of our cousins, other relatives, friends and neighbors. Now we are on the next generation and my son & his bride (who were married 1,000 miles away from where we live) recently had a reception in our hometown for his cousins, other relatives, friends and neighbors. It also worked out well because several of the bride's friends lived in the midwest and couldn't attend the wedding & reception on the coast but were able to attend the second reception.

Have fun!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:30 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Our wedding was not a destination wedding, but our town is 500 miles away from my friends and family. He has some family members in the area he tolerates, others he can't stand. To avoid any drama, we decided to only invite our parents to the wedding. Afterward we went to my hometown to visit and had a nice dinner with my closest family and friends. A few weeks later, we had a get together here for his closest family and friends. It worked out well.

I think the way your son and his fiancee want to do it is just fine, and very smart. I'm sure it will be a beautiful wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings