Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
A ring doesn't guarantee neither. It's up to the man to decide how much he is willing to spend on his woman's ring.

What if it didn’t even cost him $1k and didn’t tell you where he got it from? He simply expressed how much he loved you and wanted to spend the rest of his life with you?
Depends. If he bought something I'd never want to wear, is he the kinda guy I want to marry? A guy should at least know a woman's preferences. What types of metals and stones does she prefer? Are there any she would never buy for herself, because she really dislikes them?

If I was dating a guy and he rolled up with a yellow gold ring that had a gigantic marquise-shaped diamond in it flanked by a halo of baguettes resembling a big old flower? I'd assume he didn't pay attention at all to me, because I'd never wear that thing. I don't care how much it cost.

To complete the thought, if I was presented with a unique, intricate sort of ring of white gold or platinum with good quality stones (diamonds or sapphires would be best for everyday wear)... nothing huge or incredibly expensive, but obviously thoughtful and unique?

Yeah. I'd pick that over a more expensive ring. And I'd know that man knew what I like.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
I bought my fiancee's engagement ring from a family friend's house. It was $1500 and is an "antique" yellow gold with diamonds on it. It looks a bit like this minus the diamonds around the band...

I think I paid a reasonable price and the ring fits her well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Finally got a picture of the ring...again, it was my choice to spend the money but I think I got a good deal and she seemed to like it.

--Dim
Pretty ring. :-)

Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

If I was dating a guy and he rolled up with a yellow gold ring that had a gigantic marquise-shaped diamond in it flanked by a halo of baguettes resembling a big old flower? ...
I was reading that, piecing together the mental picture of that ring, and until I got to the end of that paragraph, under the impression that the guy was rolling up wearing it. I was thinking "Huh???" A lot of Italian guys here wear diamonds, but always round ones.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Depends. If he bought something I'd never want to wear, is he the kinda guy I want to marry? A guy should at least know a woman's preferences. What types of metals and stones does she prefer? Are there any she would never buy for herself, because she really dislikes them?

If I was dating a guy and he rolled up with a yellow gold ring that had a gigantic marquise-shaped diamond in it flanked by a halo of baguettes resembling a big old flower? I'd assume he didn't pay attention at all to me, because I'd never wear that thing. I don't care how much it cost.

To complete the thought, if I was presented with a unique, intricate sort of ring of white gold or platinum with good quality stones (diamonds or sapphires would be best for everyday wear)... nothing huge or incredibly expensive, but obviously thoughtful and unique?

Yeah. I'd pick that over a more expensive ring. And I'd know that man knew what I like.
Until what point would it make a woman too picky? Hey, lucky you that you don’t ever have to spend that amount of money on a man’s gift or something as elaborate. I don’t blame you, many women dream about their proposal and wedding since they are little children but can guys get a break sometime? It is common to hear that men can get kicked to the curve for picking the wrong stone or not spending as much as the woman wanted him to spend to make her feel good but what is more important, the symbolic object or the meaning of wanting to settle down and spend the rest of his life with you? At the same time I can somehow imagine how much it means to a woman considering how not only she has dreamed about this since childhood but also what the girlfriends got, right?

Has any woman around here bought their man an engagement ring too? Please share

Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
My man would fall over laughing if I tried to buy him a ring like that. Remember this thread?

Men: would you want or wear an engagement ring?

Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My man would fall over laughing if I tried to buy him a ring like that. Remember this thread?

Men: would you want or wear an engagement ring?
I'm still hoping for engagement golf clubs. Hasn't happened yet though...

Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Until what point would it make a woman too picky? Hey, lucky you that you don’t ever have to spend that amount of money on a man’s gift or something as elaborate. I don’t blame you, many women dream about their proposal and wedding since they are little children but can guys get a break sometime? It is common to hear that men can get kicked to the curve for picking the wrong stone or not spending as much as the woman wanted him to spend to make her feel good but what is more important, the symbolic object or the meaning of wanting to settle down and spend the rest of his life with you? At the same time I can somehow imagine how much it means to a woman considering how not only she has dreamed about this since childhood but also what the girlfriends got, right?

Has any woman around here bought their man an engagement ring too? Please share
If you mean common as in I've never heard of anyone doing that ever - then sure - common it is!

My husband would have laughed his butt off if I had bought him an engagement ring. I asked him if he wanted one when we had that other thread going and he gave me his "are you out of your mind?" face. My husband likes his plain wedding band but there's no way that my husband would wear any other kind of jewelry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I'm still hoping for engagement golf clubs. Hasn't happened yet though...
Maybe cut out some pictures of golf clubs you like and "accidentally" leave them lying around!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Maybe cut out some pictures of golf clubs you like and "accidentally" leave them lying around!
Haha right after I proposed I was continually talking about needing new clubs and one day I left an ad for a steeply discounted set that I really wanted out open on the coffee table. A day later she just threw it away...

A man can dream...

She is helping me pay my student loans, so she gets a pass.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Haha right after I proposed I was continually talking about needing new clubs and one day I left an ad for a steeply discounted set that I really wanted out open on the coffee table. A day later she just threw it away...

A man can dream...

She is helping me pay my student loans, so she gets a pass.
Well, now that I'm thinking about it - I probably wouldn't get the hint about golf clubs either... It's because I know nothing about golf clubs at all - I wouldn't know where to start or anything. And even if I saw an ad - I probably would still think that maybe it wasn't the right brand or whatever. That's why my husband usually picks out his big gifts - and I just do the purchasing. He's really picky and I'm totally clueless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings