Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 03:16 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
To me, 1k seems outlandish. I think I'd feel bad if he spent more than $500 regardless of salary.
It all depends on your income and what you're used to getting out of life. $1,000-$2,000 are pretty standard, which is why there are so many of them.
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-27-2012 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Good grief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 03:30 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
To me, 1k seems outlandish. I think I'd feel bad if he spent more than $500 regardless of salary.
If the woman (you) didn't want your bf to spend that much then I understand. I know people like that. Mine understands that I'm not rich and 1k is a fair amount for what I make. A lot of women though don't want their mates to spend too much money when they could put that to something else, but if your making 100k and you can't even pony up $300 for a ring they might think your cheap or is the relationship only worth a measly 300 bucks when your making 100 grand a year. All perspective I guess.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It all depends on your income and what you're used to getting out of life. $1,000-$2,000 are pretty standard, which is why there are so many of them.

mod cut
I don't care if he's making 500k a year, 1k for a ring still seems a bit too expensive.
In fact, I went ahead and looked on Etsy and THIS would be the perfect ring... and there's a matching dude ring too!

$50, done.

mod cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
If the woman (you) didn't want your bf to spend that much then I understand. I know people like that. Mine understands that I'm not rich and 1k is a fair amount for what I make. A lot of women though don't want their mates to spend too much money when they could put that to something else, but if your making 100k and you can't even pony up $300 for a ring they might think your cheap or is the relationship only worth a measly 300 bucks when your making 100 grand a year. All perspective I guess.
I definitely think it depends on the woman...as for me, I don't even want an engagement ring and I'm prefer a wedding band from someone on etsy or some other craft organization. I think $200-$300 would be just fine for a decent wedding band.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-27-2012 at 06:13 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I definitely think it depends on the woman...as for me, I don't even want an engagement ring and I'm prefer a wedding band from someone on etsy or some other craft organization. I think $200-$300 would be just fine for a decent wedding band.
The wedding band will definitely be cheaper...might not even get one. Or if we did it might be a 5 year wedding anniversary type gift. You are not the norm though,lol. If someone truly loved you it wouldn't be hard to spend 1k or more if they made 500k. I understand a relationship isn't all about the ring and it shouldn't be, but most women don't want a $200-300 ring unless your making 15k a year maybe.

But I respect that you don't want someone buying you a fancy schmancy ring...if only all women were this way.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
The wedding band will definitely be cheaper...might not even get one. Or if we did it might be a 5 year wedding anniversary type gift. You are not the norm though,lol. If someone truly loved you it wouldn't be hard to spend 1k or more if they made 500k. I understand a relationship isn't all about the ring and it shouldn't be, but most women don't want a $200-300 ring unless your making 15k a year maybe.

But I respect that you don't want someone buying you a fancy schmancy ring...if only all women were this way.
I just don't think I like gifts very much. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever get to the point of marriage with anyone so it's not something I really dwell on, but I have thought about it here and there.

Besides, I like simplicity and rarely wear jewelry

Old 12-25-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I just don't think I like gifts very much. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever get to the point of marriage with anyone so it's not something I really dwell on, but I have thought about it here and there.

Besides, I like simplicity and rarely wear jewelry
A woman who doesn't like gifts. Lol. Noo way.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
A woman who doesn't like gifts. Lol. Noo way.
Ha, my Mom actually makes fun of me for this. Even as a kid, Christmas and Birthdays made me feel really uncomfortable and when I was in High School I told them to just forego presents for me if possible. Now, my Mom gets me nothing but toiletries, socks and underwear for Christmas/birthdays because it's the only thing I'll accept

Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Some men actually LIKE giving expensive jewelry to their wives.
Guilty. I don't buy cheap crap. I'm not going to buy a crappy coffee maker so I'm not going to buy crappy jewelry either.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Guilty. I don't buy cheap crap. I'm not going to buy a crappy coffee maker so I'm not going to buy crappy jewelry either.
Guilt here too. Money spent on a quality product is much easier for me to justify. I had a custom tension set band made for the ring I gave my now wife. It probably cost 6 weeks take home pay at the time, but I don't think of anything in terms of take home pay, rather in terms of net assets. I won't be getting another one, already had a house and two paid off cars. Everyone's circumstances are different.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:06 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times
Hey everyone, sorry to renew this old but helpful thread but hoping to get some feedback. I am 30 yrs old and head over heels for my gf who I hope to soon make my fiancé. But I fear we have a fundamental difference on the proper price of a ring. She does not ask for much, but has always conveyed how important a nice engagement ring is for her.

She always throws out the 'three months of income.' Not saying this as a 'ohh look at me, blah' but that would translate into a number i never even fathomed for a ring. Like not even same ballpark as what I'm thinking. Not same sport. I am not cheap by any means. We live a pretty lavish lifestyle, but that also means we don't have a ton of savings. What she is suggesting would go a longgg way towards a down payment or something more useful in my eyes.

To further complicate things, she saw some receipts from when I was in vegas this summer. Wound up drinking a bit too much with a group of my friends, and had a $5-10k bill at a nightclub. This was a HUGE mistake, I know that. And while she wasn't mad I spent that, she throws it in my face constantly about the ring stuff. No sense making another financial mistake just bc of one I already just made.

When I'm thinking about this, I think about the absolute price of the ring. Is it wrong i think i am spending enough, but when in comparison to my annual income, it may only be ~2% or less than a Month's income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings