Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,909 times

Advertisements

I just got this one....

I read someone on here saying that they would be angry if their fiance had been married before and spent less on her ring. Honestly, that's just crazy!! I wouldn't demand my fiance buy me a more expensive ring just because his ex had a more expensive one, especially if it is something that suits my tastes and preferences.

My fiance has been married before, to a woman who had lied and cheated on him. They had a child together who passed away two weeks after he was born, which was excruciating for him. He went to Iraq a month after the passing of his son and his ex-wife got pregnant by another man. He doesn't love her more than me, nor does he ever pine for that lost relationship. In fact, I don't think he cares about her either way. She demanded a 4K ring and he complied. In my situation, I didn't demand a thing and thought we'd be engaged in a couple more years. (we've been together for 3.5 so far) He picked out something where he thought about my tastes, which was to not spend 4K on that.

I think my ring with the service plan is in the $1200 range...but building a life based on friendship and love with this person means more than "did he spend more on me than the last trick?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post

I just got this one....

I read someone on here saying that they would be angry if their fiance had been married before and spent less on her ring. Honestly, that's just crazy!! I wouldn't demand my fiance buy me a more expensive ring just because his ex had a more expensive one, especially if it is something that suits my tastes and preferences.

My fiance has been married before, to a woman who had lied and cheated on him. They had a child together who passed away two weeks after he was born, which was excruciating for him. He went to Iraq a month after the passing of his son and his ex-wife got pregnant by another man. He doesn't love her more than me, nor does he ever pine for that lost relationship. In fact, I don't think he cares about her either way. She demanded a 4K ring and he complied. In my situation, I didn't demand a thing and thought we'd be engaged in a couple more years. (we've been together for 3.5 so far) He picked out something where he thought about my tastes, which was to not spend 4K on that.

I think my ring with the service plan is in the $1200 range...but building a life based on friendship and love with this person means more than "did he spend more on me than the last trick?"
That is very pretty, and congratulations!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times
At the end of the day, you are just as engaged or married with a $1200 engagement ring and $200-400 band as the person that spent $10,000-$20,000 on a ring. Pretty much most 1 carat rings that are $1000 and up get compliments and look very nice.

The wedding ring is the biggest rip off to man kind when it comes to mark ups.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 PM

79 posts, read 139,689 times
I take home around $6.5k/month and when I get married I plan to buy my fiancee about a $2k ring, and that is expensive for me. I don't think spending any more is wise for most people. If you have tons of money then fine...but most people have other financial priorities where the money would have better use.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM

530 posts, read 666,924 times
If you can afford what you like without going into total debt for years and years then why not get what you want? If the ring becomes the most important thing in the relationship...beware! Some people love jewelry and some do not. It's totally personal.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:22 AM

1 posts, read 963 times
Hey
If you are planning to buy a ring.I can suggest you some online stores.As one of my close friend referred these online stores while she was shopping for her wedding.May you get something good.These stores are reasonable also i guess.
De Beers Diamond Jewellers UK | Diamond Engagement Rings, Wedding Rings & more
The Diamond Store - For Christmas & Forever
https://www.eternitybyyoni.com/
Diamond Jewellery - Beaverbrooks the Jewellers
Blue Nile: The Source of Brillianceā„¢
All the best for your selection.Hope you make good choice

Old 12-17-2015, 03:16 PM

13 posts, read 11,321 times
I got this one for my fiance a few weeks ago. She has tiny fingers (4.75) so it looks pretty massive even though it's only 1.5 carats.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings