Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 AM

708 posts, read 878,469 times

Advertisements

I think it is okay to decline a shower.

Where is the fiance in all of this?

I'm guessing if it is thrown by his side, it is a chance for everyone on that side of the family to get together, and is a tradition of sorts.

I don't think it is right to force someone to be part of the shower they don't really want.

I think it is equally wrong on your friend's part to insist on the coed part..if she wants a coed shower so badly someone else can throw one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 12:05 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
If the OP's friend thinks that showers are sexist, I hope she's being consistent with all the wedding planning. So her parents aren't paying for the wedding, there'll be no white dress, no veil, no bridesmaids, no walking down the aisle, etc.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You are a traditionalist imo. To me it says...The woman is being honored...everyone knows that men cook too. But, as in life to each his own. Maybe tell them you'd like a couples shower, lots of people do that, including baby showers...It doesn't have to be a draw your line in the sand moment. There will be plenty of those as you grow older..

Lighten up people. Try not to insult folks you are just getting to know be being resentful of every kindness. You gonna refuse to let people put money in envelopes, or not have a wedding cake too. If you are buying into the traditional wedding...than you don't get to stamp your foot and be indignant at what should be considered a nice gesture. OP...Just communicate....Don't pout and bare resentment...it makes lines on your face...And, just out of curiosity...Who is paying for this wedding...If it is you and your fiance...Than you two figure out these issues together...If it is his family, or yours...than suck it up Nancy.
I predict anyone who starts a relationship off w/ this much harbored resentment is setting themselves up for some real rough transitions. Compromise is the key in ANY relationship...but you have to communicate your wants/needs in order to compromise.
She did and they got nasty saying "men don't like showers". Of course they don't but neither do most women (at least women I know). Her and her fiance are paying for the wedding.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I hate showers. Doesn't matter what kind. Bridal/baby/whatever. It's a fine waste of an afternoon. I send my regrets with my gift. So, I would just advise your friend to tell the host she will not show up to an event that she does not wish to be the guest of honor, but they're welcome to do it anyway in her absence.

As for me, if I ever get married, I've already told friends/family, no shower. The most I will do is a lunch at a restaurant complete with cocktails. No gifts, no games. And if they think it'll be funny to do foist it on me anyway thinking I won't have the nerve to leave, they've got another thing coming.

If the marrying couple are just happy with people attending their wedding, JUST GIVE IT TO THEM!!!! JEEZ!!!!!
My family knows that not only do I dislike showers I never attend them. I know if I get married they would know for me I would walk out so I doubt they would try. I send gifts though.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I agree with most everyone else...good grief, it's a freakin' bridal shower, they aren't asking your friend to give up her job and home and move with them to Guam and have triplets by September. There's nothing controlling or demeaning about it...it's just a shower.

Good grief. I mean, really...yes, she's the bride, but where did all the "my absolute way or the highway" mentality come from? I predict a long road ahead for her (and her spouse and all family relationships) if this is what she's choosing to take a stand on.

I think it must be more that she is uncomfortable being the center of attention - either that, or she doesn't want to write thank you notes. Either way, she is snubbing a generous gesture in favor of women's rights or rejecting time-honored traditions because of her apparent distaste for an apron or something equally silly. No one is looking at it like that - and frankly, this couples shower thing says to me "we must be together all the time and share every damn thing and I'm totally dependent on him to function" more than a women-only shower says "kitchen". There are going to be plenty of times in the future when she is going to need and want the advice or friendship of the very women she is wanting to snub in the name of civil rights. Lord. Bless her heart - she needs to learn the art of compromise.
But she told them no shower and they disregarded her opinion for her wedding. I can't blame her, because spending a day with women is not my idea of fun either and I really don't like most women.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If the OP's friend thinks that showers are sexist, I hope she's being consistent with all the wedding planning. So her parents aren't paying for the wedding, there'll be no white dress, no veil, no bridesmaids, no walking down the aisle, etc.
What does that have to do with this? the shower is women only, whereas a wedding is coed. No her parents aren't paying.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
What is so terrible about a women-only shower/lunch? Is she planning on having a coed bachelorette party, too?

Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
I think it is okay to decline a shower.

Where is the fiance in all of this?

I'm guessing if it is thrown by his side, it is a chance for everyone on that side of the family to get together, and is a tradition of sorts.

I don't think it is right to force someone to be part of the shower they don't really want.

I think it is equally wrong on your friend's part to insist on the coed part..if she wants a coed shower so badly someone else can throw one.
She had him talk to his family and they got nasty. She is still upset because of being forced to attend.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What is so terrible about a women-only shower/lunch? Is she planning on having a coed bachelorette party, too?
Because she doesn't want one. She is planning a woman only bachelorette party but that is different because the groom is doing one and that is her friends. A shower is reinforcing traditional views of women as homemakers.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I shudder to think what else they will do to her (or try)if they are being this controlling already.
Its just a wedding shower to give her presents. You're really shuddering when thinking of what might happen next? As if showers lead to water-boarding and ripping out her fingernails...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings