Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Bridal Brokerage: The time has come. Find a need and fill it and this is a wonderful idea. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Website Lets Brides Turn Canceled Weddings Into Cash - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 04:17 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
What a GREAT IDEA!

Years ago, a coworker was getting married and all the stuff was arranged and invitations were sent out ... when she called her venue to confirm things about three weeks before the big day, the guy first acted like he didn't know her. Then he got flustered and said the owner was supposed to have called her several weeks before. Even as they were planning the wedding reception. So they ALL lied to her.

Long story short and one massive lawsuit later -- the venue "cancelled" her wedding and the wedding of someone else to let one large wedding with lotsa cash have the venue for the day -- and never told the cancelled brides.

So she had to scramble -- actually all the co-workers scrambled and hit the phones with the story.

About a week later, one of the coworkers found a gorgeous winery that had a wedding booked for the same day that had fallen apart, so she got a great venue at a rock bottom price, and a discount on the food and wine.

After the lawsuit was settled she told us her wedding was essentially paid for by the other venue, along with the honeymoon.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times
I think it's a good idea, too. The only thing I would never go for is a ring from a pawn shop.

(And I know who you are. )

Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I think it's a good idea, too. The only thing I would never go for is a ring from a pawn shop.

(And I know who you are. )
That brings up a story! Our house was broken into and they took my wedding ring and anniversary band among other jewelry. I was heartbroken, of course, but life went on.

Nine years later, husband and I stopped at the local pawn shop because they were selling DVDs and hubby was turning them over on Ebay.... and there.... was my wedding ring. I bought it back.

It was our wedding anniversary.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:17 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Wow, Tallysmom - quite a coincidence, huh? Just meant to be! Cool story.

I differ. I would buy a wedding ring from a (reputable) pawn shop in a heartbeat. Matter of fact, at the time of my marriage my cousin had hocked her rings and I knew which shop they were at. We stopped in to look at something else, and there they were for about 25% of what her ex had paid for them retail. The "they belonged to my cousin" factor was too creepy for us to seriously consider buying them, but the thought DID cross both our minds. The fact that they were used or came from a broken marriage or whatever...well, we just weren't going to worry about that part, we just couldn't have faced my cousin at family gatherings with that very definitive set of rings glaring at all of us.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Not me....seems like bad Karma.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Do they sell them on ebay? Are the listed as "Like new"?

When I first say the title of this thread, my first thought was that the fiance would be for sale as well with the package. I wondered how that would work....lol

Last edited by srjth; 01-27-2013 at 04:43 AM..

Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,037 times
It's a terrific idea. I would buy someone's canceled wedding in a heartbeat, if the date and location was right, and if things like choice of flowers and menus could be changed to suit me.

It can be a real pain to plan a wedding. A package deal would cut down on all the coordinating and the expense. What's not to like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings