Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this is the right forum for this question; if not my apologies...

Is it ever safe to purchase an engagement ring online, if the jewelry store also has something like a 30-day moneyback guarantee if you're not satisfied with what you receive? Or should engagement rings always and only be bought in-person or at a brick-and-mortar location?

If anyone has any thoughts or personal experience with something like this (i.e., with looking at rings being sold by online jewelers) and wouldn't mind sharing more info please, it would be deeply appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Depends on how picky you are.

If you simply want X price with Y and Z parameters, online is a great deal and should be easy. Reputable online stuff, like Blue Nile.

If you'd like a certain look to the diamond you choose, it'll be more difficult to achieve online.

Do you not have any diamond wholesale shops near you?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Depends on how picky you are.

If you simply want X price with Y and Z parameters, online is a great deal and should be easy. Reputable online stuff, like Blue Nile.

If you'd like a certain look to the diamond you choose, it'll be more difficult to achieve online.
Many thanks for the helpful suggestions and feedback!

Quote:
Do you not have any diamond wholesale shops near you?
Yes, but there is a very specific look and with a special touch and a very good price, that I have already successfully identified online (I also received the full and very enthusiastic approval of the person who would be receiving it) Actually, thx for the helpful idea though...it definitely couldn't hurt to look at local shops, to see if they have something very close or similar...

Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 AM

What type are you looking for?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
What type are you looking for?
Something like these was what she was interested in (as she had specifically mentioned wanting a black-colored diamond):

1. Sample Link
2. Sample Link

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 02-28-2013 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Adds

Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
In that case, I would make sure that they were processed correctly (through the NRC) and that the level of radiation is low.

I know there have been problems with irradiated topaz.. so probably with irradiated black diamonds too!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
In that case, I would make sure that they were processed correctly (through the NRC) and that the level of radiation is low.

I know there have been problems with irradiated topaz.. so probably with irradiated black diamonds too!
This is good advice.

Black diamonds have none of the sparkle you get from other colors of diamonds. Dunno if that matters or not.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:

Black diamonds have none of the sparkle you get from other colors of diamonds. Dunno if that matters or not.
Yeah... kinda like those blank shark eyes, no soul. It holds no appeal for me, but some like it!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
This is good advice.

Thank you for the helpful FYI and info...I will be sure to mention that to her, just so she is aware...but yes, any color diamond is personally fine with me, as long as she is happy

Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yeah... kinda like those blank shark eyes, no soul. It holds no appeal for me, but some like it!
Yeah. I'd not choose it for a solitaire.

I have some black diamond hoops. They're pretty because of the contrast between the black and silver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings