Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 07:31 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
As for the guest - lets say you would give 100$ by yourself, or you bring a plus one and still give 100$. The couple could have said no to your plus one and invited someone else who would have given a gift, lets say 100$. Therefore theyd have 200$ instead of 100$
A wedding reception is not supposed to be a gift grab.

It makes no difference where one lives, the definition of host and guest are unchanged. The host pays for the party, the guests don't. Regardless of whether it's a wedding reception or a dinner party.

A wedding gift is an entirely separate thing from the cost of the reception. They are completely unrelated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 07:35 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
A wedding reception is not supposed to be a gift grab.

It makes no difference where one lives, the definition of host and guest are unchanged. The host pays for the party, the guests don't. Regardless of whether it's a wedding reception or a dinner party.

A wedding gift is an entirely separate thing from the cost of the reception. They are completely unrelated.
But the wedding mentality across the country will be different depending on where people live.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
But the wedding mentality across the country will be different depending on where people live.
The mentality doesn't change the actual rules of etiquette. Expecting guests to pay for a party you are hosting is tacky.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:45 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The mentality doesn't change the actual rules of etiquette. Expecting guests to pay for a party you are hosting is tacky.
Of course its tacky. I agree. But what im saying is i have heard hundreds of times that you should cover your plate. People here are having $50,000+ weddings here in NY. Its ridiculous. One of the threads on this forum says the average cost of a wedding is $26k. Which is tacky in and of itself.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Of course its tacky. I agree. But what im saying is i have heard hundreds of times that you should cover your plate. People here are having $50,000+ weddings here in NY. Its ridiculous. One of the threads on this forum says the average cost of a wedding is $26k. Which is tacky in and of itself.
Ahhh - gotcha. I'm not doubting that people say it but it's incorrect. It grinds my gears that people say it like it's some kind of rule of etiquette when in fact it's not. No matter where you live.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:26 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
I totally get you. I have no idea where people got this expectation, how they justify it, etc. - I certainly don't agree with it - but I have seen it too. I do think regionalism has something to do with it... I've lived in NYC and LA and the expectations for everything about a wedding, from the ring to gifts, is really so high.

I've never heard of the covering your guest "rule" (maybe because I've always been the guest) but... in the same environment where people might expect you to cover your plate, I guess I'm not surprised that that would also be an expectation.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:38 PM

120 posts, read 110,223 times
I only go to local weddings or weddings I'm in.

Even with my family. I had a cousin, my favorite male cousin, he got married. the flight alone was $500. His bride wanted all the family tow wear the wedding colors so I'd have to buy anew dress.

I bought them a brand new kitchen aid mixer, she loves to bake.

she thanked me immensely when she saw me in person a year later (in addition to sending a thank you card, and brownies at Christmas)

I think a new strategy has been made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings