Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 AM

44,277 posts, read 19,936,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
This year, a friend of mine invited us to her wedding, but it was in key west. Sounded like fun, but after the cost of airfair, hotel, gift...we just couldn't do it again. I respectfully declined.
This ^ is the way to handle an invitation to a long-distance wedding. Do what fits your budget. The bride and groom should be understanding if you feel attending their wedding would leave you strapped for cash. If you can't justify traveling to attend a wedding, don't go, and simply send a nice gift which fits your budget.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:19 PM

419 posts, read 464,015 times
I took my family to my cousin's daughter's wedding. We drove through 5 states, had to dish out for lodging, plus gas for the vehicle, plus food, and, of course, the gift.

Two years later, my cousin, who has a very successful business and travels all over, takes his married children (and grandchildren) on vacations all the time, owns two homes, etc., etc., declined to come to our son's wedding because "it's too expensive." I guess when we went, he thought it was free for us.

Sure was a teachable moment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 AM

26,683 posts, read 41,553,646 times
I personally dont do weddings and no way I would attend one that required travel expenses, my budget right now dont allow that. If my mother got married and had her wedding in Kentucky where she lives I could not even afford even that.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:15 PM
YAZ

7,698 posts, read 14,022,211 times
I would go if I'm in the wedding party...maybe....but these long distance ones are a little bit over the top for us.

When we get invited to far away places.....we just send a gift.

I have 4 sisters and have been to 4 weddings for them......I sure hope none of 'em are peeved 'cuz I didn't go to their next weddings after their divorces. (happened twice)

Another one is re-marrying...this time in Costa Rica.

I'm sure a great time will be had by all.

But I can think of a few more things to buy with $4000.

Take lots of pics......pleez.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:16 PM
YAZ

7,698 posts, read 14,022,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I personally dont do weddings and no way I would attend one that required travel expenses, my budget right now dont allow that. If my mother got married and had her wedding in Kentucky where she lives I could not even afford even that.
You don't do weddings?

Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 PM

26,683 posts, read 41,553,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
You don't do weddings?
Let me put it this way. If I come to your wedding, you are a friend I'd take a bullet for.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,005,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
If I found out that you were complaining because I invited you to my "stupid wedding", I would regret having included you. Why don't you just make up some "stupid" excuses and stay home? No need to feel like a D-bag at all.

I think you are totally off the mark on this one, not everyone can afford to attend so many weddings in one year. They have real lives, real responsibilities and real debts that are not related to the happy couple.

Honestly, those who are invited should not have to go into debt or put any cost on a credit card to attend a wedding. I see no reason why a gift (depending on the relationship of the guest and those getting married) or just a simple elegant card would not be sufficient.

We went to a wedding in June of last year several states away however, the bride is my husband niece and we had been putting away the cost of the trip since we found out they were getting married. On the other hand we did not attend the wedding of one of my Mother's friends daughter, whom I have also known for many years, simply because we have not been that close for 20+ years and it was short notice and we did not have the extra funds to attend 3 states away.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,114,343 times
I never spent that much on attending a wedding. I traveled to go to some family members' weddings but unless they were very close family, I didn't travel far.

A family member had a wedding last year...3 states away...and it was her second wedding. I politely declined the invitation and sent a card but no gift. She already got a gift when she got married the first time...less than two years prior to her second wedding. I can't believe she even had the chutzpah to register (again).

Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM

144 posts, read 303,557 times
539? That's funny. Received an invitation to one of these "destination" weddings recently, declined. Got another upcoming wedding but it's fairly local, I estimate my total cost at around $0.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,400,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you are totally off the mark on this one, not everyone can afford to attend so many weddings in one year. They have real lives, real responsibilities and real debts that are not related to the happy couple.

Honestly, those who are invited should not have to go into debt or put any cost on a credit card to attend a wedding. I see no reason why a gift (depending on the relationship of the guest and those getting married) or just a simple elegant card would not be sufficient.
I'm sorry...I think you may have misunderstood my post. I don't think people should put themselves into debt to go to weddings they cannot afford to attend. My annoyance was with the OP's attitude about people's "stupid" (his word) weddings. I totally agree with you that if it's not in the budget to attend, the gracious thing to do is to send a card and/or gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings