U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:02 PM

17,068 posts, read 17,389,275 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to a lot of weddings recently so maybe back tattoos are more common than I thought. Yesterday I attended my nephew's wedding. They had five bridesmaids and all five had tattoos on their upper back ranging from the diameter of an orange to one woman with huge angel wings that covered about 75% of her upper back (each wing was about 5 or 6 inches wide and at least 10 to 12 inches tall (you couldn't see the bottom of the wings under the dress).

The bridesmaids were in their late 20s or early 30s. Are back tattoos that common? Or was it just a coincidence? I think that the bride also had a back tattoo but it was hard to tell under her lace shrug so maybe all of the friends/sisters just enjoy having tattoos?

???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,688,691 times
I have never seen large back tattoos on bridesmaids.
And I have been to plenty of weddings lately.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:11 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,170,285 times
Well, considering that bridesmaids typically would be a group of people with at least a few commonalities as friends and/or relatives of the bride, I wouldn't find it surprising that their personal styles had some overlap as well.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:12 PM

17,068 posts, read 17,389,275 times
It also occurred to me that some brides or bridesmaids may cover their tattoos with makeup the same way that someone may cover a tattoo for a job interview, a pageant, or a special event.

Maybe these five bridesmaids just loved their tattoos and the bride didn't ask them to hide them or maybe she specifically selected strapless dresses to show off their tattoos? I probably wouldn't have really paid too much attention to the orange & grapefruit sized multicolored tattoos on the four bridesmaids backs but there was absolutely no way to ignore those huge wings on one of the women.

After doing more thinking about it there were quite a few women in their 20s & 30s with strapless dresses who were guests at the wedding yesterday who did not have back tattoos.

At my son's wedding last summer there were many, many women with strapless summer dresses and I don't recall even one large back tattoos (maybe there were some small ones that I didn't notice).

PS.
Thank God that you couldn't see my nephew's one and only tattoo. It is a rather suggestive phrase in two inch high letters just over his genitals.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-20-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 07:08 PM

14,445 posts, read 17,389,188 times
I'm seeing more and more full back or full sleeve tattoos on women.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 PM

1,518 posts, read 1,354,395 times
We see a ton of them around here. Not a fan, but who am I to say what they do?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:21 AM

607 posts, read 1,060,587 times
Ha, I don't know. It's probably not common. I don't know anyone with big back tattoo though. A couple of friends have small ones on their shoulders but then, most of my friends aren't really into tattoos. I'm getting married soon and non of my bridesmaids have tattoos.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 AM

18,433 posts, read 29,510,999 times
As a person with tattoos, I don't find it all too strange. Some people have them and some don't. I have a very colorful almost half sleeve and a large tattoo on my back and when I get married I am sure portions of them will show. Whether I had tattoos or not, I would never be so bold as to ask someone to cover their tattoos. In my life I accept people as they are.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:40 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,184,437 times
Really common in that age group. I think they are ugly. But you can't tell other people what to do, so I just point out them that the '80s clothes and hairstyles were thought to be really hawt back in the day. LOL I won't be the one trying to come up with thousand$ of dollar$ to remove unwanted tatts someday.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:07 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,442,522 times
Women are one of the fastest growing markets for tattoos and make up a good portion of the market space - so it's not uncommon.

However, it's still not very common - especially in that location.

You'll have many lower back, feet, ankles, etc as well.

The last wedding I went to of the bride and 4 bridesmaids two of them had tattoos and only one had on that was visible on the upper back - the bride had none.

However, if the bride is into tattoos and the people she hangs out with and wants to be a part of her wedding are as well - then that's what you're going to get.

I have a buddy who has a large back piece - so does his girlfriend - most of their friends have many as well. If you went to their wedding you'd think that everyone has tattoos.

I have another buddy who doesn't and is a runner. Same with his girlfriend. Same with their friends. If you went to their wedding you'd think no one has tattoos or enjoys popcorn & ice cream on the couch with a movie.

Which makes me wonder how I'm buddies with both of them as I'm not a runner and not tattooed. Maybe I'm the token?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings