Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:00 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,326,223 times

Advertisements

If you're compelled to get them a wedding gift, maybe they have a wedding registry at a favorite store. i.e. Bed bath and Beyond, Bloomingdale's, Saks Fifth Ave, Walmart, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,621,884 times
Send them a nice card & a IOU for cash, after you get your M.A.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:29 PM

66 posts, read 57,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Send them a nice card & a IOU for cash, after you get your M.A.

I like that

Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 PM

11,783 posts, read 12,019,229 times
When I got married, we had a small ceremony and didn't tell many people, but sent announcements after the fact, just to let people know. We got gifts from all but 2 people, and weren't expecting a thing.

I'd give a gift to a good friend regardless of circumstance.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 PM

22,549 posts, read 47,594,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyfat View Post
I don't want to sound like an ass but I don't really think I should give him a gift unless I'm "supposed to".
Sad....

Old 01-10-2014, 09:08 PM

66 posts, read 57,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sad....
In context it makes sense. I'm broke

Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,887,487 times
To me it would depend. A friend got married out of state and only her mom was at the ceremony, which was in the middle of a show at the circus since her husband worked for Ringling. She later had a party for her friends and relatives but if she hadn't I would have sent her a gift. I've also sent gifts to relatives who got married at city hall and didn't have parties. However, my parents weren't invited to the wedding of a son of a former friend so they didn't send a gift (though others thought they should).

In this case if they have a party in the summer I would wait for that and give them a gift then. That way if you aren't invited you don't send a gift and if you are invited then you don't give them two gifts.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,226,462 times
Quote:
I don't want to sound like an ass but I don't really think I should give him a gift unless I'm "supposed to". He's not my best friend or in my close circle of really great friends, he's just a good friend and was a roommate at one time. I mean this is the sort of situation where if I was invited to a "real" ceremony I'd be giving them a $50 gift card to sears with some cupcakes and a nice card.

I might still do that if its appropriate.
^^^This post answers your own question. I don't believe in what one is "supposed to" do. In your OP you said he's a good friend but in your comment above he doesn't sound like a good or even close friend. A good friend would have at least contacted you and said, "hey, change of plans, we're getting married this weekend." Like IDDY said--wait and see if there's going to be a party that way you don't give 2 gifts. Personally, I wouldn't base whether or not I'm giving a gift on if there's a party or not. If I know they're having a party then I would wait until then. If they confirm that they are NOT having a party then I would send them a gift. You should do what you feel is appropriate for the type of friendship you have and give what you can afford.

Quote:
One of my good friends got married about a week ago. Everyone knew he was engaged and the original plan was to have the wedding in the summer when everyone could attend. I was informally invited to that.

I find out over facebook that he got married and has left for his honeymoon. I find it odd that there was no ceremony and no one I know was invited. My guess is his fiance got pregnant so they moved the wedding up.

Should I still get them something? I feel as a general rule if I'm not invited I'm not giving a gift and I apply that to most things. At the same time the wedding was moved up and I don't think anyone outside of the families were invited.

We are also in college and his hometown is on the other side of the country. They got married there so its unlikely anyone from school would be able to attend during the holidays on short notice anyway.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:15 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,076,036 times
Quote:
In context it makes sense. I'm broke
Well, if you're broke....then you're in no condition to give money away.

Because you can't.

You don't have any.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings