Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times

Advertisements

I'm nervous about this part!! I am a 38K up top and so strapless just does not work for me. EVER. and 90% of what i see is strapless or one shoulder strap. There are a few options with straps that are all very plain and the same. Though there's nothing wrong with plain and simple, that's probably more my style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I'm nervous about this part!! I am a 38K up top and so strapless just does not work for me. EVER. and 90% of what i see is strapless or one shoulder strap. There are a few options with straps that are all very plain and the same. Though there's nothing wrong with plain and simple, that's probably more my style.
I got a halter dress from David's Bridal. I don't care for strapless or one-shoulder asymmetrical. Strapless is vey popular but I don't like how the dress starts so far down the body and the neck/shoulder area is so bare.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:41 AM

190 posts, read 391,885 times
I agree with the majority. It's maddening to know how much $$$$ women will spend on a dress that is only worn once. My dress was off the rack, fit perfectly and cost only $225.00. I couldn't have been happier with it! It is now in a box for my daughter to either wear at her wedding or for either or my kids to alter for Christening gowns. My entire wedding cost less than some bridal gowns today. The way I see it, the $$$$ spent on a dress to be worn once would go alot further towards a house, car or other necessities that may last as long as the marriage instead of as short as the reception. To quote another poster, "Just my 2 cents".

Old 02-17-2014, 04:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
The strapless style is usually very structured, with boning and stays so it stays up. The key is to find one you love that isn't at the top of your price point, at a place with a great seamstress, so they can create sleeves or straps with other lace material like matching lace or tulle. I've seen stuff done that is beautiful, but it adds to the price of the dress. You don't have to take the dress as is off the rack.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:39 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
I've heard there are brides who buy bridesmaid dresses in white and where that as their gown.

Personally, I don't want to spend more than $500 on a gown.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I've heard there are brides who buy bridesmaid dresses in white and where that as their gown.

Personally, I don't want to spend more than $500 on a gown.
For my first wedding I bought an evening gown from a bridal shop and opted for ivory. No one could tell the difference. This time around I chose a bridal gown, and both were under $400.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
For my first wedding I bought an evening gown from a bridal shop and opted for ivory. No one could tell the difference. This time around I chose a bridal gown, and both were under $400.
My wedding dress was on sale for 550 bucks at David's Bridal. I walked in, tried on 3 dresses and it was the one that fit me best.

This was in 2010, so I feel sure one could do the same now.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
My wedding dress was on sale for 550 bucks at David's Bridal. I walked in, tried on 3 dresses and it was the one that fit me best.

This was in 2010, so I feel sure one could do the same now.
That's where I got mine and it was on sale $200 off too! For the sale price I could get a gown instead of a bridesmaid's dress. And they even have a selection of $99 bridal gowns too. Truly something for every budget.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
Okay, first -- do NOT worry about matching your wedding dress to the "theme" of your wedding. No one but you will notice this, and absolutely no one will care. The possible exception here would be beach weddings or outdoor summer weddings, just because you don't want to navigate a heavy princess dress across sand or in hot temperatures. But other than that? Find the dress you love and makes you feel beautiful.

Also -- try on everything. Try on the dresses that catch your eye, try on the ones that don't, and yes, try on the one that the saleslady and/or your Mom hands you, even if you think it's ugly. Wedding dresses, moreso than other clothes, look SO different on you versus on the rack that you just don't know how something will look until it's on you. I know this firsthand, because that's how I found my wedding dress. I thought I wanted a certain style, and it just wasn't working...then my Mom handed me a dress that I had seen and rejected because I thought it was too heavy, too embellished, etc. But I tried it on, because at that point, why not? And I fell in love with it, and immediately started crying as soon as I looked in the mirror.

The only real "theme" to a wedding is "marriage." Find the dress you love, and forget the rest.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:55 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Those of you who married a second time was your dress more simpler? I know that used to be the tradition but has changed quite a bit. Someone told me because I'll be a later bride I should have a simple dress but nope will not. I am doing the whole train and veil otherwise why have a big wedding? For a second wedding I'd probably do something simpler but who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings