U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:10 PM

622 posts, read 1,992,196 times
Default Please share your wedding stories

I would like to hear some wedding stories!

I will be getting married within a year or two- the date hasn't been set yet, we were waiting until I finished school. Now that I'm done, I'ts time for me to start thinking about it.

I am not sure what I want to do- we both have very large families and very small budgets (we will be paying for it ourselves). We have discussed eloping, which I would do. Also a small wedding on the beach (10-20 people). Or, perhaps I could get away with the big one I really want... but as my fiance says, I have "wine taste on a beer budget." I am very picky. Also a bit eccentric and untraditional.

Has anyone ever had a wedding in the fall? Or some time other than summer? I would love to do one in the fall.

Did you have a band? a DJ? I would love to have an old swing band at my wedding; I adore music from the 30's & 40's!

What about untraditional dresses? Before the Victorian Age, I believe, it was custom to wear brightly colored wedding gowns. I would like to do that!

Any tips on how to save money? What about decorating ideas?

Oh the more I think about it, the more I realize its not going to happen the way I picture it. If having a big wedding means it will be really low budget and distasteful, then I'm not going to have one. Besides, why spend so much money on one day? I just can't justify it to myself. But, I like nice things (see- wine taste on a beer budget). Maybe I will just do it tastefully, but small... the beach idea.

OK sorry for the rambling

Even if your wedding story doesn't relate to one of my questions, I would love for you to share it! So, what was your special day like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 11:42 PM

485 posts, read 1,122,891 times
Because we were paying for it ourselves too, we spent quite some time contemplating many issues. We ended up deciding that having money after we were wed was more important to us. I was in college full time, living with my parents, and money was scarce. I had been wearing my ring for a while and my parents thought we were making serious wedding plans, but we decided one day to go get our marriage license, and three days later we decided to just go to the JP during our lunch break, without notifying anyone, and get married. I was wearing blue jeans and a polo shirt. It wasn't a fairytale wedding, but it was a merging of true love. My parents were in shock, and being old-fashioned, demanded some documentation of our nuptials before they would let me stay with my husband overnight! I think many thought we wouldn't last,because of how spontaneous our actions were. However, that was 13 years ago, and we still adore each other and our two daughters, ages 11 and 6.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:35 AM

13,313 posts, read 29,339,598 times
Default Low Cost Does Not Mean Low Taste

mariatherese
I certainly do not think that having a low budget wedding means being distasteful. You just have to plan within your means.
We got married such a long time ago that I am not sure my story is all that relevant, and I was lucky in that my mom paid for it (I think she was happy to because my dad had passed away a couple years before, and I was the first kid to marry--it made her feel good to help plan and pay.)
Anyway, we did not have a big blow-out, at least not by today's standards.
We had about 100 people, I wore my mother's wedding dress, my groom wore a navy blue blazer, my high school buddies DJ'd. And they played mostly Swing.
Probably the most money was spent on food and drink. We had it catered and served soft drinks, beer, wine and champagne. The wedding was on May 1st, which in Colorado can be shakey weather-wise, but we lucked out, the day was gorgeous.
My mom later told me that it snowed 3 days after (we were on our honeymoon.) The honeymoon was kind of funny because it was unexpectedly inexpensive: the Denver newspaper made an advertising mistake which the airline had to honor; our flight to the Cayman Islands was cheeep!
To me, a wedding on the beach is the heighth of romance.
Just plan ahead, and ask for help. Some of my favorite weddings have been collaborative affairs.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:35 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,367,266 times
Oh Maria, I really don't have the space to write about all the stories I have from my daughter's weddings--there are so many that still get us all laughing hyterically. My daughter's were married in the same year (I know-how could they do that to their poor Mom.) My oldest daughter had a small wedding in the summer (I think it was the hottest day that summer) and my youngest daughter had a larger wedding in the fall. The thing is--we all did as much as we could on our own. My husband and I decorated for both receptions. (My husband can create just about anything.) My kitchen that year was always filled with projects. Because my oldest daughter's wedding was small, we only had to order a few items to serve. We prepared the rest. My youngest daughter had her mother-in-law make the bridesmaid's dresses and her husband's Aunt did the catering. A girlfriend(hairdresser) did hair and make up. My point is--the whole family was involved and, I think, it made everything more special. Plus it kept expenses down.
Pick a date. Let us all know so we can mark it on our calendars!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:59 AM

8,192 posts, read 19,069,847 times
My first wedding was on a super tight budget.

I went to the printer and they found me some invitations that had been disontinued. They were 75% off, just to get rid of them.

My dress came off the rack at J.C. Penney for $60. After the wedding I dyed it, and was able to wear it to work. My shoes were $3 on clearance at the outlet mall. Bridesmaids were told to pick a dress that they might wear again, but had to stay in the color theme.

We got married on the 4th of July in Lake Placid, NY. The timing was due to the fact that we were horse showing, and the first Sunday of a 2 week show happened to be the 4th. It is one of the very few times that all of the folks that we wanted to be there were going to all be in the same place. I wrote to the city and asked permission to have a small wedding on the bandshell by the lake on the first Sunday of the horse show. They called and said they thought that was a wonderful idea. Then, after the invitations had been printed, I got a call from the mayor. The dates for the show had come out, and the first Sunday was the 4th. Lake Placid has a HUGE parade down that road every year on the 4th, and the radio station sets up on the bandshell. The mayor had talked to the station manager, and they did not mind to share the space. When we got to town I went to the radio station and talked to the station manager. He offered to provide music, and offered the antique fire engine that belongs to the station to take the wedding party from the park to the reception. Then he asked how we felt about a simulcast. My fiancee thought it was a WONDERFUL idea. The station spent the next week inviting the public at large to my wedding. There were several hundred total strangers in attendance, and 2 TV crews. So much for my small wedding!

The Justice of The Peace did an ENDLESS ceremony for $50.

We had the reception at Mud Puddles, the preferred night spot of the horse show crowd. The wedding was at 6:00, and the reception was over by 9:00, so everyone could go see the fireworks. A local restaraunt put out a buffet of finger foods, and a friend brought the wedding cake down from his neighbor in Ogdensburg who is a professional wedding cake baker. The bottom section arrived in a box from a TV set! It was a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and beautiful red & blue roses.

The biggest expense we had was the bar tab, even though the bar owner provided one round and the champagne on the house.

My photograper did not show up at all that day, but as it happened there was a free lance photographer who happened to be in town for the parade. He stopped to shoot the wedding, and sent me all of the pictures for $200.

Total money spent for the wedding and reception, and everything else was just under $3,000.

Last edited by Racelady88; 10-22-2006 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 10-22-2006, 09:11 AM

4,075 posts, read 10,428,369 times
As far as tradition goes, ours was certainly the polar opposite. We talked about going to NV to get married, but knew there were some who'd be offended and well didn't want to do that. I did not want a huge wedding, nor did he. Basically we wanted to get married and get on with our lives.

We did get married at our church with a very small gathering; his folks, his grandmother and great-uncle, his two sons, my mom, sister, BIL and nephew and the church secretary. I would have been thrilled to have gotten married in blue jeans and a crisp blouse, a good friend and my future MIL would have nothing to do with that so I wound up in friend's wedding gown.

A few weeks later we did have a reception. Honeymoon? Well, there's a twist there. We both drove for a living so instead of going somewhere, we holed ourselves up in a nice hotel in town and told no one

This coming Feb. we will celebrate 17 years.

Last edited by cleosmom; 10-22-2006 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: error

Old 10-22-2006, 09:38 AM

622 posts, read 1,992,196 times
Well hey I guess a good wedding can be done on a low budget! These stories give me some hope.

Evey- what a fantastic wedding story! How unique!

I really like the idea of getting family involved. My family is pretty close-knit, so I know they would love for it to be a collaborative effort.

Thanks everyone! I love these stories... I hope there's more to come...

Old 10-22-2006, 11:52 AM

152 posts, read 519,203 times
Default Cell phones

People have answered cell phones when exchanging vows Welcome to the new world folks..........

Old 10-22-2006, 09:43 PM

20,003 posts, read 20,289,999 times
You can have beautiful wedding without going into debt, we did. We got married at a wedding chapel and they did everything, the decorating, the cake, flowers and it was just one price. There were about 50 people there. I had a very traditonal dress, I wanted a big fancy dress, long train, it was beautiful and it was only $499. I think the whole thing cost about $8000. We went "overboard" on the cake topper I thought, it was $45, but it was perfect for us. Good Luck to you!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:27 PM

277 posts, read 543,839 times
I think you should wear whatever type of wedding dress you like-I like the idea of bright colors for a wedding! My sister had a good idea for her wedding, they had it at their favorite bar/restaurant and instead of a full course meal, they served many different types of appetizers and finger food. Champagne all around, it was great-a really cool cocktail party, and everyone had a blast. Good luck and remember to go with your gut instincts-it's your day, after all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings