Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,763,669 times

Advertisements

Yesterday made 7 months since I got married. There are things I certainly miss about the big day, and others I don't:

What I miss:
-Seeing my wife walk down the aisle
-Wedding vows, cake, slow dance, etc.
-Riding in the limo to the reception with my wife
-Having a day where you and your spouse are #1 on everyone's priority list (people taking time off work, driving in from out of town, getting dressed up for the occasion, etc). You almost feel like a celebrity for a day.
-Seeing all your closest friends and relatives under one roof on the same night, which probably won't happen ever again

What I don't miss:
-The stress leading up to the event (planning, etc.)
-Feeling exhausted throughout the night
-Spending so much money on something that, though very special, will go by in a flash
-Having to leave town the next morning for the honeymoon--literally no time to catch your breath

I get nostalgic every now and then and wish I could relive that night. Thankfully, we caught everything on video!

What do you miss/not miss about your wedding day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,052,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Yesterday made 7 months since I got married. There are things I certainly miss about the big day, and others I don't:

What I miss:
-Seeing my wife walk down the aisle
-Wedding vows, cake, slow dance, etc.
-Riding in the limo to the reception with my wife
-Having a day where you and your spouse are #1 on everyone's priority list (people taking time off work, driving in from out of town, getting dressed up for the occasion, etc). You almost feel like a celebrity for a day.
-Seeing all your closest friends and relatives under one roof on the same night, which probably won't happen ever again

What I don't miss:
-The stress leading up to the event (planning, etc.)
-Feeling exhausted throughout the night
-Spending so much money on something that, though very special, will go by in a flash
-Having to leave town the next morning for the honeymoon--literally no time to catch your breath

I get nostalgic every now and then and wish I could relive that night. Thankfully, we caught everything on video!

What do you miss/not miss about your wedding day?
My husband and I didn't have a "big" honeymoon, just a weekend in a nearby city a couple of weeks after the wedding. However, I have heard a lot of people also say that it was hard to immediately go on a honeymoon. In fact, sometimes there are still out of town relatives and friends staying for a day or two after the wedding who it would be nice to spend additional time with.

Perhaps, "back in the day" when it was much more likely that a couple's first night of complete privacy and intimacy was their wedding night leaving immediately for a honeymoon was a great idea.

I know a few people who waited a few weeks or even months before they took their honeymoon/first vacation together. The friends who did this said that they thought that it worked out well for them.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:46 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,763,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In fact, sometimes there are still out of town relatives and friends staying for a day or two after the wedding who it would be nice to spend additional time with.
That's precisely one reason I came to regret our decision to leave the morning after. For example, my best man drove in from a city located 6 hours away (by car) from mine. He stayed in town another 2 days after the wedding, but I was unable to take advantage of that.

Also, it was tough because no sooner had the magic of the wedding begun to sink in than we were on our way out of town. It would have been nice to have a day to relax, open gifts, and discuss the wedding with attendees. We couldn't do any of that till we came back 8 days later, and by then people had moved on.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,724,225 times
I haven't had my wedding yet, but one of the things I was considering doing was not having a "honeymoon" until our first anniversary. We're doing a Friday evening wedding and since I live in a beach town, I was considering telling a bunch of out of town folks that we will be going to the beach after a brunch or something the next day so they should come meet us at X street.... I wondered if that would be tacky. It's not to celebrate the wedding any longer but to spend some time together doing something fun!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:46 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,180,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I haven't had my wedding yet, but one of the things I was considering doing was not having a "honeymoon" until our first anniversary. We're doing a Friday evening wedding and since I live in a beach town, I was considering telling a bunch of out of town folks that we will be going to the beach after a brunch or something the next day so they should come meet us at X street.... I wondered if that would be tacky. It's not to celebrate the wedding any longer but to spend some time together doing something fun!
My niece and nephew did wedding brunches the day after. The wedding ended, the couple and close friends went out like an after party, and tons of people met up the next day at the couples home for brunch. Certainly not everyone who was invited to the wedding -- close friends and close family. The couple opened gifts and it was very happy and relaxed...

Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,052,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I don't think that it would be tacky.
The day after my son & DIL's wedding they had an informal picnic in a neighborhood park. Several close friends planned it and brought the food. All of the out of town relatives attended, plus many of their close friends. It was a great opportunity for everyone to spend a few more hours just relaxing and having fun together. It was announced on their wedding website as an optional activity. About 20 people attended the picnic (about 90 at the wedding).

Old 10-23-2014, 08:51 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,822,108 times
I dont miss squat about my wedding day. It was terrible.

Now i DO miss my vow renewal day. Its been almost a year and id seriously wear my dress every day if i could pull it off. Everything was perfect, i love looking at pictures of it and thinking back.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 PM

5,128 posts, read 4,465,001 times
I miss:
-How it was the happiest day of my life
-Wearing my dress. It was such a beautiful dress, so it's a shame that I could only wear it once.
-The first dance. So magical.
-Seeing all my friends & family all in one place, and everyone happy. It was great seeing friends from all phases of my life.

I do not miss:
-The stress of all the planning.
-The disappointment about the things that did not work out as planned. Groom's cake not delivered. The floral decorations were wrong.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:33 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,051,362 times
I miss:
-The look on my husband's face when he first saw me walking down the isle
-The details surrounding the wedding and how perfectly it came out (small country style wedding, decorations, food was amazing)
-Seeing our closest family and friends in one place
-The dress, the hair, the makeup...feeling like a princess

I do not miss:
-The stress of all the planning (and getting sick from the stress)
-The friend who felt the need to tell me her personal drama while I was getting my pictures taken before the vows
-The arguments with my parents regarding who we did not want to invite (small wedding, comes with the territory I guess)
-Tripping on my dress while walking down the isle, my aunt & uncle getting lost & missing the vows

Old 10-28-2014, 01:40 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,110,170 times
What I miss:
-All the love from all the friends and family that day
-Looking extra sharp for that day along with the wedding party
-Watching my wife come down the isle
-Watching the 2 yr old flower girl take off down the isle like it was a track meeting, but the flowers fell perfectly.
-Announcing our wedding party into the reception hall

What I do not miss:
-Wedding planning
-Making the guest list and deciding who can and cant come due to space and having people mad at you for no invite
-Have to almost beg for people to RSVP
-The wedding day no shows, which pretty much was a waist of money when 15 dont show up
-Taking pictures outdoors in 90 degree weather for an hour
-The AC wasnt working properly in the venue, so the guest were very hot.
-All that money spent for just 5 hrs in 1 day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings