Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:06 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Or there are many lovely rings in the 2K range that have gorgeous settings where a diamond may be upgraded to one of better quality later. Then, she can still have the original ring for its sentimental value and an engagement ring now. I would say that a woman who is concerned about looks/appearance of a ring in comparison to siblings probably would also not do well with a bumblegum dispenser ring as a placeholder.
That's probably true. But if he's worried about judgments, by starting out with a smaller ring that she shows everyone, whereby the judgey people make their assessment (), at the point they upgrade it, is she then going to re-display the ring and point out that the main diamond is now significantly larger?

I would seriously just wait til he can afford the ring he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 12:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
That's probably true. But if he's worried about judgments, by starting out with a smaller ring that she shows everyone, whereby the judgey people make their assessment (), at the point they upgrade it, is she then going to re-display the ring and point out that the main diamond is now significantly larger?

I would seriously just wait til he can afford the ring he wants.
Same here.

That's why I went with "buy a sapphire ring" or "buy a diamond eternity band" now.

Logic being that she can keep wearing those long after they're married, more established, and he can buy her the diamond he wants her to have for keeps.

Example:

Eternity Rings | Blue Nile

There are some really nice ones there for 2k or less.

Also:

This one is more like 2500, but it's gorgeous and quite large:

Sapphire and Micropavé Diamond Halo Ring in 14k White Gold (8x6 mm) | Blue Nile

Old 11-11-2014, 01:13 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

This one is more like 2500, but it's gorgeous and quite large:

Sapphire and Micropavé Diamond Halo Ring in 14k White Gold (8x6 mm) | Blue Nile
This is beautiful! I'm a sucker for sapphires. And it's slightly reminiscent of the one Princess Diana wore that Will gave to Kate. If it's good enough for royalty...

Old 11-11-2014, 03:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post

This is beautiful! I'm a sucker for sapphires. And it's slightly reminiscent of the one Princess Diana wore that Will gave to Kate. If it's good enough for royalty...
Me, too. Sparkly sapphires are so pretty!

Old 11-11-2014, 03:36 PM

981 posts, read 898,961 times
I agree with someone who posted the CNN article that diamond rings are over. Like BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis, diamond rings (unless they are some crazy size like over 5 carats) are a "commoditized luxury". With creative and still somewhat easy credit, a lot of people now have rings in the 2 carat plus range. So if the goal is to impress, they really arent that impressive anymore. I would rather have some new furniture for my house and buy more of a one of a kind ring, say an antique or something creative from a local designer. If it matters that much to her family just get a high quality 2-2.5 carat fake in a real diamond and platinum setting, and at some point put a real stone in (or not)...It sounds like you do well financially but an additional $7k on a ring with a baby and new house, just seems an unnecessary expense. Especially when babies and houses are always more than you expect. If your fiance sees you buying your new family a home as putting her second, I might be a little concerned. Not so much about how she feels about you but perhaps some naivete and hence unrealistic expectations about the lifestyle your income can provide. Of course she might be a little disappointed at first about not getting exactly what she wanted, but hopefully she would see that going less expensive on the ring is the right thing for you both at this time.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:02 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
For those asking / questioning about discussing it with her: there are many cultures where certain matters of the heart, such as a proposal or gift, are not to be discussed in detail with the recipient, weighing the pros and cons, as if they were business transactions. Doing so, while perhaps practical, removes a lot of the fun, excitement, and romance from the equation. Why don't I just ask where and how she would like me to propose too? Then we'll just meet at the appointed time and location and I'll show her the ring she already picked out. I'm sure that will be a wonderful experience that she'll never forget... I realize that I'm being snide here, and don't mean to offend anyone with their well-meaning questions. I'm just trying to make a point.

I want to thank everyone that responded. There were a great many of you and all were helpful. I didn't realize this would turn into such a big or controversial topic. So again, thank you I will try to distribute some more rep points later today
Well -- some of us are older. And back in the early Jurassic era when we got engaged it wasn't a huge deal -- I mean it was big, but not a whole Facebook Youtube moment. In fact -- a lot of my friends were asked, then the couple went ring shopping. Then shared the engagement after buying the ring.

And some of the guys paid strict attention when out shopping with the girl.

And one us got the down on one knee deal... and he threw his arms around my waist and wailed Marry me!! It was EMBARRASSING -- he did it in my DRIVEWAY, in FRONT OF THE NEIGHBORS!

Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Pawn shops, Overstock, etc. are great places to find a good deal on an engagement ring; however, I wouldn't go into this purchase thinking that you have to upgrade later. I really don't think a ring should be about the amount of money spent, but that someone really took your tastes into consideration when picking it out for you.

Here is a picture of my 1/2 carat engagement ring that my fiancé gave me last December. He gave it to me at a time where after six years of being a paratrooper in the US Army, he was now in his second year of college. On paper (not including any post 9/11 GI Bill college aid), I outearn him by five times, so most of our living expenses are paid for by me knowing that once he finishes his undergrad and PA school, he will probably be outearning me at that time (so it's a partnership!).

However, I love the ring that he presented to me because he saved up for months and then made the most of the budget that he had at the time and I will always look at it and think of how fun and surprising the proposal was (I had no idea it was coming - other than at a later date!) I always wanted a pawn shop ring or a moissanite/amora before my ring was given to me. I am pretty frugal, buy 90% of my clothes at thrift shops/yardsales, but it meant a lot to me that he stated that I never get myself nice things so he wanted to get me something nice and new even though I had said go pawn shop. After I got it, it became exactly what I would have wanted if I would have picked it out myself.

A beautiful ring does NOT have to be $7000. Mine cost about $1200 including the lifetime warrantee. It would concern me that people equate money spent on an item with how much love the giver has for the recipient.

Now, I don't know your intended, but I would say - if she wants a diamond stone, moissanite, amora, or sapphire will not do. In that scenario, I would get something that is diamond, but has a pretty setting to it.

Attachment 138763

I agree with this, except, IMO, if you feel moved toward a sapphire, and you know for sure she likes saphires...that would be fine.

I would get her what you can afford, but it should be 'real'. A moissanite/amora won't cut it, especially if she wears the ring everyday. Plus...what with a baby, and moving, and life in general, you don't know really if you'll be able to upgrade.

I'd rather have a small stone that's real, over a fake diamond...just sayin.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:10 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarohisharma View Post
hello,
yes it is possible for buy a normal ring and upgrade it later as time goes on...
the price of ring isn't matter it only needed to filled with love always
It depends on the ring. Some styles can be re-worked. However, it might cost more than buying a new ring.

You can always buy ring settings and have wholesale stones or chips put it (or learn to do the work yourself). My friend can make "engagement rings" for several hundred dollars, depending on the value of the stones.

Also, if you have good pawn shops or antique dealers in the area, you can frequently find good stones in crappy settings and re-do those.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Go for the sapphire. You can get more "wow factor" with a large, sparkly sapphire. And it's her birthstone, so it's logical, even to her materialistic siblings.
I agree with this. I'd love to have a different-looking ring. Saffires are beautiful. A fake diamond or small diamond would not meet the standards of her fam. A Saffire might not either, but it will 'pop' more. In a picture of the females, hers will look on par rather than sub-par, imo.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:51 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
I guess this is really what it comes down to. I can afford a $350k house. I can afford a $25k engagement ring (God save me). I can afford a baby. I can not afford all 3 at that level. If you were my girl and knew that I had to pay for all 3, how would you want me to divide it up?
On 100K income I would not want to be strapped with a $350K house. Nor would I want a 25K ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings