Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:21 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Well, I've got excellent credit, so I was thinking of hitting up Weisfield or Zales.
i would probably go the online route. And IF you have to put it on credit, you might be better off getting a new card with rewards points and using that.

Either way, dont break the bank or put yourself into serious debt. you can get a great ring for like 3-5k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:23 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
If you guys were to part ways prior to marriage, giving it to her on Christmas or her birthday or on Valentine's Day, etc means that you really couldn't get it back if the marriage were to not happen. Otherwise, it can be considered a conditional gift and if that condition does not happen (marriage), you may be able to get it back to sell/get some of your money back.

No one really thinks about these things, but they DO happen.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Give it to her while you're decorating the Christmas tree.

One of my college friends was proposed to that way. She nearly flipped out over it. He was handing her ornaments and he took the ring and put a hook on it and handed her the hook. She wasn't really even looking when she took it (he waited for her to get really involved in arranging the ornaments) and she screamed when she realized he'd just handed her a ring.

LOL. That's one of my favorite engagement stories.

Don't wait for Christmas. She's already pregnant.

Get her a Christmas gift, though. Just a little something would do.

You could get her a few little somethings... wrap them all separately. She'll understand you just dropped money on a ring and you have a baby on the way.

How much were you thinking to spend on the ring?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:20 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Give it to her while you're decorating the Christmas tree.

One of my college friends was proposed to that way. She nearly flipped out over it. He was handing her ornaments and he took the ring and put a hook on it and handed her the hook. She wasn't really even looking when she took it (he waited for her to get really involved in arranging the ornaments) and she screamed when she realized he'd just handed her a ring.

LOL. That's one of my favorite engagement stories.

Don't wait for Christmas. She's already pregnant.

Get her a Christmas gift, though. Just a little something would do.

You could get her a few little somethings... wrap them all separately. She'll understand you just dropped money on a ring and you have a baby on the way.

How much were you thinking to spend on the ring?
Oh wow! That sounds like an excellent idea!! As for how much $$wise, that, I have no idea about.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Oh wow! That sounds like an excellent idea!! As for how much $$wise, that, I have no idea about.
Start figuring! What type of ring does she want?

Old 11-13-2014, 05:02 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
If you guys were to part ways prior to marriage, giving it to her on Christmas or her birthday or on Valentine's Day, etc means that you really couldn't get it back if the marriage were to not happen. Otherwise, it can be considered a conditional gift and if that condition does not happen (marriage), you may be able to get it back to sell/get some of your money back.

No one really thinks about these things, but they DO happen.
Yeah, I didn't want to be a total downer but I was going to post the same thing. It is just something for the OP to keep in mind.

FWIW I have a non- diamond ring and I love it. It was definitely less than $3000 and it is platinum. There really is no need to break the bank buying an engagement ring, IMO.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:43 AM

3 posts, read 11,088 times
hey ! ring is the perfect gift for xmas you should definately go for it .bust of luck !

Old 12-01-2014, 01:44 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Yeah, I didn't want to be a total downer but I was going to post the same thing. It is just something for the OP to keep in mind.

FWIW I have a non- diamond ring and I love it. It was definitely less than $3000 and it is platinum. There really is no need to break the bank buying an engagement ring, IMO.
You bought your man a ring? Awesome. Doesn't matter how much it cost but your thought.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:44 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
i would probably go the online route. And IF you have to put it on credit, you might be better off getting a new card with rewards points and using that.

Either way, dont break the bank or put yourself into serious debt. you can get a great ring for like 3-5k.
We just got my engagement ring and our wedding bands at BlueNile.com. Amazing high-quality diamond in a platinum halo setting for a little over $5K and interest-free financing for 12 months. I love it! (Plenty of options for less than that as well).

Old 12-04-2014, 09:47 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I don't see anything wrong w/ getting engaged on a holiday, such as Christmas, Valentine's Day, or one's b-day. The couple can separate the sentiments from the holiday itself & can be happy about it. I WISH I was getting engaged this Christmas!

I personally prefer to pick out my own ring. That's not something I prefer to be surprised about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings